• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is James Anderson an ATG test bowler?

Is James Anderson an ATG test bowler?

• Total voters

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not saying he's the best ever, but he's got 700 wickets. It's only been the last year where you could question his selection though. Cook went through a period where his selection was regularly questioned, I don't think Anderson has ever had that since becoming a regular.

Would you question Tendulkar by the same token?
No because Tendulkar was a lot better than Anderson

Also the England had awful openers for like 4 years after Cook retired, he definitely would have made the team better if he stayed. Anderson has been a passenger in the last, what, 4 or 5 Ashes series? And they usually had a few seam bowlers at close to his value. England needed Cook post 2018 more than they needed Anderson

Molehill

International Captain
No because Tendulkar was a lot better than Anderson

Also the England had awful openers for like 4 years after Cook retired, he definitely would have made the team better if he stayed. Anderson has been a passenger in the last, what, 4 or 5 Ashes series? And they usually had a few seam bowlers at close to his value. England needed Cook post 2018 more than they needed Anderson
You know cricket does exist outside Australia?

_00_deathscar

International Regular
They may not be ATG's but the fact you can take the last few years of Anderson and compare against their entire careers kind of outlines his greatness.

Here's another one, Hazlewood has 273 wickets at 24.8 from 70 Tests. The last 8 years sees Anderson with 267 wickets at 22.2.
Now we’re talking - two bowlers with very mediocre WPMs.
Please stop this “he has as many wickets with as low an average as Bumrah/Cummins” crap. He takes 3.5 WPM in that time, and his away WPM is barely 3.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
That's a way to look at it but should you bet bumped up to be with the best ever just because you were sort of close enough, didn't want to retire and English Test spam gave you a cumulative record?

Alistair Cook could easily have done the same for batting if he really wanted (if anything the team needed his batting more than it did Anderson's bowling)
I actually voted that Anderson isn't an ATG because in my opinion when I look at all of the bowlers I have watched or have read about, I think he is in a tier below in terms of impact/record in all conditions. However, I do think in terms of evaluating him as an overall performer, I would rate him a fair bit higher than Cook who essentially was at the peak of his game for 3 years (2010-mid 2013) and who was largely an ordinary player after that point and a fair player in his earlier years. Anderson, for me was rather ordinary in his first 6 or so years, when he was dropped or injured a fair bit, but was an outstanding bowler for circa a decade or so afterwards. So he was world class for a longer time than what Cook was for me.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Hard question to answer. There's a peak in the middle of his career where he took 400 wickets while meeting most of the other qualifications people hold for ATG bowlers (sub 25 away average, good wpm, good strike rate) but he's also got a pretty bad ashes record for a bowler of his quality and was mediocre outside the aforementioned peak.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
The answer to this problem can be solved by a very simple process.....

Is Dennis Lillee an atg bowler? I think for most the answer is yes he is.

Who do you rate better.....James Anderson or Matthew Hoggard? Surely that's a no brainer?

The conclusion here is irrefutable people.

And anyone that's still unsure or in any doubt look at the list of No voters here and that surely will convince you. Its a veritable list of CW numpties who's opinions can not possibly be taken seriously.

Problem solved.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Why the comparison with Lillee?... Has better strike rate, better wickets per match, better economy and more than double the 10fers in half the games.

The Hoggard comparison is about right. If Hoggard is the entry rung for ATG then I guess Anderson is in :(

I think I'm in the no camp, so you're onto something there.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
So Hoggard = Anderson = Hilfenhause = Chadd Sayers

low bar for ATG but each to their own
You know it was a very simple processs to follow yet you have failed to grasp it......this is why you have voted No and why you are a numptie.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You know it was a very simple processs to follow yet you have failed to grasp it......this is why you have voted No and why you are a numptie.
I'm a numptie when you've failed to grasp that I in fact did not vote No. Would have thought Yes or No was a very simple process too but I guess not