• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dhoni greatest OdI cricketer off all-time

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
To me, RPI is a better metric in tests (still very context heavy and therefore prone to be used badly) than it ever is in LO formats. And it is a poor metric on its own, even in tests.
I can't see your rationale for this. RPI makes far more sense in ODIs. ODI innings are a complete closed circuit. Your RPI is the average of what you contribute to a team over a career. And if a top order batsman is still there in the 50th or the 20th over (especially in 1st innings), they should make every effort to hit out, and increase their likelihood of dismissal. Obviously this is dependant on match conditions but it's generally true.

There's far more variables in tests. Declarations, teams winning in the 4th innings only 2/3/4 etc wickets down...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
And if a top order batsman is still there in the 50th or the 20th over (especially in 1st innings), they should make every effort to hit out, and increase their likelihood of dismissal.
And yet you do not consider the fact that a top order batsman essentially can contribute far far more runs per innings in a LO game than any middle order batsman ever can.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think RPI is an ok tool if you want to compare between specific roles in the team.

Comparing openers to lower order batsmen using RPI doesn't really make sense though.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think RPI is an ok tool if you want to compare between specific roles in the team.

Comparing openers to lower order batsmen using RPI doesn't really make sense though.
Yes definitely this. Makes no sense using it for Dhoni or Bevan.