• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Chris Gayle some sort of perverted misogynist or can everyone just settle down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is just so stupid. I am not sure if there is any history between them, but from the interview I watched, he was fooling around, and she should have laughed it off, or perhaps given a witty reply about how he might not be her type or up to her standards. To portray this as ***ual harrassment or make this about ***ism which it what it has become it absolutely shameful. Not saying she is entirely responsible for this, but more the reaction in the media by other journalists.

Rogers now talking about Gayle's character was really low. And I really used to like Rogers.
Rubbish.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This would be great if everyone would agree that it was wrong. But the biggest percentage of comments I have read (yeah I know reading internet comments is bad) has been "this has been blown out of proportion and Gayle did nothing wrong he was just having a joke people should lighten up"
Indeed, this is actually the problem, the actual thing seems to become more a tacit approval because of the insane "PC gone mad brigade", ya know the type who think white males are discriminated against most in the world, or utter ***** as they're otherwise known.

So we almost have to have this backlash-to-the-backlash-to the backlash thing which can carry on for eons, gamergate of course the biggest example.

In an ideal World, Gayle would have just been fined for his crass comments, news outlets just wouldn't talk to him and we could all move on, but won't happen.10k BTW not an huge amount, considering what he allegedly earns.

Oh I think Murali was a chucker and Gayle's a muppet, so stick your graph PEWs.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is just so stupid. I am not sure if there is any history between them, but from the interview I watched, he was fooling around, and she should have laughed it off, or perhaps given a witty reply about how he might not be her type or up to her standards. To portray this as ***ual harrassment or make this about ***ism which it what it has become it absolutely shameful. Not saying she is entirely responsible for this, but more the reaction in the media by other journalists.

Rogers now talking about Gayle's character was really low. And I really used to like Rogers.
Big of you man......

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Hey Black_Warrior, what makes you the ultimate authority on how women should react to things?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Nah I think you're totally missing his point; he's not at all okay with what Gayle did -- he's reframing what occurred as part of a broader trend in sports coverage and the place of women within it. Essentially that the broader social trend brings about an environment in which Gayle doing what Gayle did is not wholly out of sync with the trend of women-as-eye-candy. And there's a lot of merit to that point -- complementing that a lot of blame must still be apportioned to Gayle for being a dickish creep.
No, I think I got his point. If we were to accept that looks plays a part in our social engineering - and it undoubtedly does - it does not mean all communications between people should be okay if it relates to this ***ualised nature.

So just because we might have a pretty reporter who knows her stuff, doesn't mean we also accept that as part and parcel with men undermining her while she tries to do her job. It doesn't necessarily have to do with each other. Gayle could be the dickhead he is off-air and try to pick her up; who would really care?

As I said earlier, let's take it further and say he tried to kiss her on the lips. Are we still going to claim that women-as-eye-candy was the cause or simply that Gayle's a dumb ****?

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Indeed, this is actually the problem, the actual thing seems to become more a tacit approval because of the insane "PC gone mad brigade", ya know the type who think white males are discriminated against most in the world, or utter ***** as they're otherwise known.

So we almost have to have this backlash-to-the-backlash-to the backlash thing which can carry on for eons, gamergate of course the biggest example.

In an ideal World, Gayle would have just been fined for his crass comments, news outlets just wouldn't talk to him and we could all move on, but won't happen.10k BTW not an huge amount, considering what he allegedly earns.

Oh I think Murali was a chucker and Gayle's a muppet, so stick your graph PEWs.
I am entertained by the facts that Grecian knows about gamergate, which is an excellent proof that it isn't about gaming

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Also, let's not just pretend that only Gayle does this. A lot of cricketers and sports people treat women quite poorly.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
'Not saying she is entirely responsible for this'. She really shouldn't have brainwashed him to be fair, that was wrong of her.

The lengths people go to to defend a supposedly adult males behavior are embarrassing. People really showing their arses here. Rogers comments superb and enlightening.
Big of you man......

Hey Black_Warrior, what makes you the ultimate authority on how women should react to things?
Look you can attack me personally and question my morality all you want.

But the only thing that will achieve is prevent a reasonable conversation on ***ual harrassment. If you start with the attitude that "bw has a different view on this, he must be a ***ist, woman hating, creep' you have already killed the conversation.

I don't believe that it was harrassment, and I should be able to say that without certain labels and insinuations. If you disagree with me, that's fine as well. But that doesn't give you a higher moral ground.

When I said "Not saying she is entirely responsible for this, but more the reaction in the media by other journalist", I was referring to the backlash.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
As I said earlier, let's take it further and say he tried to kiss her on the lips. Are we still going to claim that women-as-eye-candy was the cause or simply that Gayle's a dumb ****?
Elements of both; whether we want to say its 50/50, 60/40 or 1/99 on the spectrum, both undoubtedly have an effect.

We're basically at a structure-agency debate now, and these days I try not to actively engage in structure-agency debates other than to point out that they are, in fact, a structure-agency debate.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Making moralistic proclamations about how people "should" behave in contexts like this is always so dodgy. Suggestive of a paternalistic "I know best" type mindset, which always leaves a lot to be desired.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
No one else is telling women how to react.
I also think Michael Clarke shouldn't have retired, are you going to mock me as an authority on Clarke's cricketing decisions now?

Isn't 90% of the posts on this forum just us expressing what 'should happen and be done'?

I have an opinion on how South Africa should approach this test now and I am going to post that in the thread. Am I going to get attacked now for trying 'tell' Amla how he should play and trying to be an authority?

Status
Not open for further replies.