• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Broad now better than Anderson?

Is Broad better than Anderson

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Kirkut

International Regular
Anderson is a more complete bowler but Broad can win you a game in a session.

10 years ago who would have thought Anderson and Broad to become this good. I can't think of any other cricketer apart from Anderson who has made a rapid progress in his game from being erratic to an established premier bowler.

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Worse than the 2001/2002 ashes when the Aussies retained the urn less than ~10 days of actual cricket?
Which series are you talking about, because there wasn't an 01/02 Ashes. 2001 in England the Aussies went 3-0 up after 3 big wins and they did the same in 02/03 in Oz. But which ever of these 2 series you are referring to, I don't think the batting was as bad in either was as it was in Pakistan. In 2001 we had Butcher make 450 runs @50 including a high score of 170........in 02/03 we had Vaughan in god mode.

In Pakistan we didn't have a single centurion and I think Prior was our best bat with a top score of 70 and a series average of 35. It was truly woeful.
England's First Ashes down under of the new millennium, so I must have meant the 2003-2003 series. I was teenager then just getting to know cricket. It is the first Ashes I remember looking forward to seeing. I remember how much of a big deal Sky News and Supersport made of the series in the build up, only for the Poms to be blown away like a straw house. Aside from the final test only Michael Vaughn seemed to know what to do with his cricket bat that for the English.

FBU

International Debutant
You can't tell the difference in the last two years. HowSTAT! Top Ten (Test) They like certain grounds and Broad likes the Australians and South Africans and Anderson, the Indians and Pakistanis.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anderson is a more complete bowler but Broad can win you a game in a session.

10 years ago who would have thought Anderson and Broad to become this good. I can't think of any other cricketer apart from Anderson who has made a rapid progress in his game from being erratic to an established premier bowler.
Really? Anderson has been fast-tracked at every level he's played. The hype in his early days was (literally) unbelievable.

Mitchell Johnson averaging < 30, now there's a surprise.

Kirkut

International Regular
Really? Anderson has been fast-tracked at every level he's played. The hype in his early days was (literally) unbelievable.

Mitchell Johnson averaging < 30, now there's a surprise.
The hype is for almost every England bowler, Tremlett was being compared with Ambrose after one good series in Australia.

And if Anderson plays for another 3 years, he'll near Mcgrath in wickets. Consider this, at one point he was averaging 36.00 with the ball and was a cannon fodder in Ashes '06 to ending his career with 500+ wickets. Big jump.

flibbertyjibber

The hype is for almost every England bowler, Tremlett was being compared with Ambrose after one good series in Australia.

And if Anderson plays for another 3 years, he'll near Mcgrath in wickets. Consider this, at one point he was averaging 36.00 with the ball and was a cannon fodder in Ashes '06 to ending his career with 500+ wickets. Big jump.
If he plays another 3 years he will probably be closer to 600 wickets than 500 given the amount of tests we play. By September 2017 we have 20 to play, 6 left this summer, a couple in Bangladesh, 5 in India and the 7 next summer at home. Not saying he will play all of them but if he did then he will be close to or have passed 500 by then.

Top_Cat

Eh, for me there are more surprising examples. The one right above Anderson on the wicket takers list, Courtney Walsh, was dropped a million times but scored 500+ Test poles at < 25, Imran's first 10 years were pretty meh too.

Also, not to knock Anderson too much as he's a very fine bowler (and lethal when conditions suit) but he's never been indisputably the best of his time. Pretty sure if we read back to the beginnings of the forum when Anderson debuted, let alone what the famous names were saying, we'll find people saying here he'd be up there with the better bowlers of his era without being a super great.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Pretty sure we had a thread for players who unexpectedly became awesome. Harris, Amla, Smith were mentioned plenty iirc

TheJediBrah

Harris is the weirdest one I've seen. Went from a 120kph medium pacing all-rounder to a 150kph quick when he was already almost 30.

Htf does that happen

Spark

Global Moderator
There were quite a lot of people declaring Smith the next big thing in 2010 on here tbf, and not (mostly) as a leggie. At a bare minimum there was a big push to have him picked instead of North at #6 on NZ tour that year.

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
Was there a NZ tour in 2010? I just remember the Pak series in Eng when Smith debuted, the Ind series and the Ashes.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
cue Furball saying that Smith wasn't unexpected to become awesome and he knew it all along.
Nah, how good Smith's been has definitely been a surprise. I reckoned he'd be a fixture in the Australian side, didn't bank on him averaging 60.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant

Tremlett would have been an incredible bowler for England if his body had let him.

He later over compensated by going full He-man in the gym which broke him even further IMO.

mukeshkumar

Cricket Spectator
Broad is better then Anderson now a day because Staut Broad Improve their bowling and he is the leading wicket taker for England cricket team now a days