• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ireland Discussion Thread

Flem274*

123/5
Ireland probs aren't far off the Deshis, but I wouldn't demote Bangladesh just as they're finally stringing a decent side together tbh. They are becoming a real threat at home.

Wonder if we could amalgamate (sic) some associates together to strengthen them up until they're ready to stand on their own feet? It's not ideal, but it could get the good players experience quicker, and maybe help protect them from the poachers.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
In other news, Ed Joyce tonned for Sussed against Yorks in their county game at headingley,

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ireland probs aren't far off the Deshis, but I wouldn't demote Bangladesh just as they're finally stringing a decent side together tbh. They are becoming a real threat at home.
People have been saying that for as long as i can remember, and i think the attitude has caused a problem with their cricketing culture. Someone has to stand up and say that it's not good enough to "be a real threat at home" and "compete" when you've never won a game in 60 attempts. It shows in their lax fielding, poor running between the wickets, lack of spirit when things aren't going their way, and- what stood out for me yesterday- visibly poor preparation. Mortaza bounces Niall O'Brien and he pulls the ball for six over square leg, Ashraful thinks "oh right, this boy can pull" and sticks a man out. If he'd done the slightest bit of research into Ireland's best batsman he would know O'Brien loves that shot.

As the Bangla fans were saying, they never looked like they had a plan- although according to Simmons, they did, but chose to ignore it when out on the pitch. It's why i can barely ever get behind them, even when they play against test sides. You've got to love an underdog, but not when they show no fight and aren't there on merit.

Demon43

Cricket Spectator
I think Niall O'Brien would save the english wicket keeping problem and he is much better the matt prior IMO

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think Niall O'Brien would save the english wicket keeping problem and he is much better the matt prior IMO
Only averages high 20s with the bat in FC cricket and his glovework isn't in the same league as Fosters, so can't quite see it.

But we'll probably poach him out of spite anyway.

EDIT: I should say I mean in county championship cricket, actually. His ICC Intercontinetal record bumps his figure up a lot.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Only averages high 20s with the bat in FC cricket and his glovework isn't in the same league as Fosters, so can't quite see it.

But we'll probably poach him out of spite anyway.

EDIT: I should say I mean in county championship cricket, actually. His ICC Intercontinetal record bumps his figure up a lot.
Well if anything he's at least shown that his game (unlike, say, Chris Read's) isn't likely to diminish under the spotlight, pressure and indeed increased quality of international cricket - that's always a big selling point. I don't think there's anything technical about his batting that would suggest he'd do worse in international cricket than he does in the County Championship, although the obvious issue is the fact that even if he replicated it exactly, it wouldn't be good enough for the current role of England's wicket-keeper.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well if anything he's at least shown that his game (unlike, say, Chris Read's) isn't likely to diminish under the spotlight, pressure and indeed increased quality of international cricket - that's always a big selling point. I don't think there's anything technical about his batting that would suggest he'd do worse in international cricket than he does in the County Championship, although this obvious issue is the fact that even if he replicated it exactly, it wouldn't be good enough for the current role of England's wicket-keeper.
Yeah, all probably fair enough. He's a well organised player, but batting not remotely close to Prior's so unless Matty really goes out of his way to be dire with the gloves (and he gave it a good go in the third and fourth tests in the caribbean, so I wouldn't rule it out) the test job is his for the foreseeable.

What I can see happening it, given our revolving door limited overs keeper selection policy, is Niall getting a brief go in our ODI team and then being disguarded a la Joyce & (shortly) Morgan.

I said we do it out of spite partly in jest, but not wholly, tbh. Really don't think it reflects well on us if we steal players and then don't use them in tests.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Talking about T20, he's better than Eoin Morgan as a batsman anyway. You took the wrong middle-order man. Don't know how necessary Foster's keeping is either considering runs are so much more important than wickets. Wouldn't swap O'Brien for any English keeper tbh.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Talking about T20, he's better than Eoin Morgan as a batsman anyway. You took the wrong middle-order man. Don't know how necessary Foster's keeping is either considering runs are so much more important than wickets. Wouldn't swap O'Brien for any English keeper tbh.
Do you want us to steal him or something? Don't think we won't. :p