• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

International Cricket Captain General Thread of Miscellany

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
My favourite version of the ICC series since the original.

The interface was solid, it didn't waste time on poor 3D graphics, and in a number of different saves I never had the runaway success of spinners that plague the ICC series.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
AWTA totally, have not been impressed by the recent releases. There has not been any improvement in the game as such.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I want to see the Youth Academy play a bigger role. Have only got one quality player from it from so many seasons

Spark

Global Moderator
FFS.

So annoying when you just can't get a guy out despite him playing and missing/hitting it in the again and again.

Daemon

Whenever I need around 10rpo to win and set aggression anywhere near the max, batsmen end up missing everything and making 5 runs off the over. Set the aggression any lower and they take singles and play dots. Can never win from those situations unless you have set batsmen.

Mike5181

International Captain
Dominating 2005 with West Indies. I am up to 2008 now and i am number one in tests and ODIs mainly due to my king batting by my top 5. Lara, Gayle, Chanderpaul, Sarwan, Bravo and Hinds averages 60. Benn, Bravo and some guy Cunnigham are really good with the ball as well. My weak point is my wicketkeeper though Baugh seems to be pretty average and hasn't crossed a 30 average yet.

Noble One

Everyone appears a fan of ICC 2005. Perhaps a mini-challenge is in order. As an example, who can have the best record with Bangladesh after one full season.

_Ed_

Yeah, count me in.

Although Bangladesh play so few matches in most seasons that it might need to go just a bit longer - up to the 2007 World Cup, maybe.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Downloaded the free trial and had a play with the Ashes 2005 series, taking charge of England. A fantastically close and exciting series - until the 5th Test.

The 2nd Test was the kicker - Chasing ~330 on the final day to win, England collapsed to 150/9 just after tea, with Strauss batting on his own. The final pair lasted over an hour and a half but with only three overs left in the day, and Strauss having taken root on an unbeaten hundred, Hoggard was out - retired hurt. That and getting beaten quite badly in the third Test - Australia needed just 80 to win in the 4th innings, though Simon Jones made it difficult for them - meant I needed to win the final two Tests to regain the Ashes.

Ponting had been absolutely murdering me all this time. He made a hundred in Australia's only top innings at Lord's, got twin hundreds at Edgebaston and ended up with over 600 runs in the series.

I brought in Tremlett for Hoggard for the 3rd Test, who was a disaster, but replaced him with Jimmy Anderson, who went on to play a crucial role in both the last two wins. I made what I thought was a particularly brave call by axing captain Vaughan (then averaging 15 after 3 Tests) for Mark Butcher, who went on to score an immense unbeaten double hundred at the Oval.

Everything that could have gone right did in the 5th Test. My opening partnership finally clicked, Bell recorded a first day hundred after having been left out of the first two Tests, and Butcher batted for just under five sessions to his 272*. Cameos from Geriant Jones and Giles set up the score of 668, before Anderson, Simon Jones and Flintoff ran through them twice.

Attachments

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The final pair lasted over an hour and a half but with only three overs left in the day, and Strauss having taken root on an unbeaten hundred, Hoggard was out - retired hurt.
Hoggy would need to have lost a limb for that to happen. Even then I think he'd be reluctant to go.

Spark

Global Moderator
I have to say that I find the way ICC2005 is coded - ie the way the simulator works - a whole lot more realistic than the modern version. Gone is the ludicrous amounts of out LBW decisions, ODI scores are more realistic etc. etc.

Although at one stage I got Michael Clarke to have a bowling average in Tests of 20. Brought him on as a part-timer to chug some overs through, got a wicket. Kept him on, got another wicket. Started using him more, kept getting wickets. Seems to get Brian Lara out a lot too...

Last edited:

Chewie

What do you mean by ODI scores being more realistic? I feel in the current version they're pretty realistic...

One thing that wasn't good about the earlier versions were the number of super players that cropped up.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Playing around with ICC2005 for a bit gives the impression that playing as the Aussies on easy it's almost impossible to lose.

So, playing as Aus on easy, is it possible to lose every game on the 2005 tour?

Answer - no. Despite me doing everything in my power to lose, including opening the batting with wicketkeeper Glenn McGrath while Gilchrist plays as the star bowler, the Australians just couldn't bring themselves to be beaten by the Colleges.

Attachments

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Decent 10th wicket partnership between David Hussey and Gilchrist to ruin your attempts to throw the match! :p