• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Premier League - 2011

Himannv

International Coach
Hmm, maybe hes too old for this format. Still, might have been a better pick than Vijay IMO.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmm, maybe hes too old for this format. Still, might have been a better pick than Vijay IMO.
Murali was CSK's best bowler in the CL T20 along with Ashwin. Would have definitely been a better bet than Vijay and Morkel.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I think they figure they can buy back Murali far cheaper in the auction than they can Vijay. Makes sense to me.

Himannv

International Coach
Dunno, I dont think Vijay is worth the kind of money they spent. They could have got him and Morkel for less in the auction as well.

Mumbai retained 4 players as well but the players they retained were core players and well worth their money. 2 batsmen and 2 bowlers, some of whom can do more than one task. Nicely balanced IMO.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
IDK. The fourth retained player costs $500,000. I don't think they would have got him cheaper than that in the auction. Young Indian players who feature in the national team tend to be highly valued/priced in the auction.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Seeing Albie Morkel considered more valuable than Murali makes we want to punch a hole through my monitor. **** the IPL.

Blaze 18

Banned
Dunno, I dont think Vijay is worth the kind of money they spent. They could have got him and Morkel for less in the auction as well.

Mumbai retained 4 players as well but the players they retained were core players and well worth their money. 2 batsmen and 2 bowlers, some of whom can do more than one task. Nicely balanced IMO.
Yeah, I agree. I am quite sure that teams will be willing to pay much more for Muralitharan than for Murali Vijay; I reckon it will be hard for Chennai to get him back - if someone like Ambani wants him, then he is as good as gone.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
You think Murali Vijay is worth more than Muttiah Muralitharan ?
Rohit Sharma was valued higher than Murali last time, IIRC.

Vijay is young, Indian and a Tamil Nadu player with a crack at the Indian team and national exposure. Murali is none of those.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
You think Murali Vijay is worth more than Muttiah Muralitharan ?
Given that teams have to play 7 Indian players per match, retaining Vijay makes far more sense than retaining Murali.

Chennai have Dhoni, Raina and Vijay to build a base from - that's pretty strong as far as a domestic batting base goes.

vcs

But how do you explain Albie Morkel? I don't even remember him playing regularly for CSK..

pasag

RTDAS
IPL franchises have retained only the below players for the next season. Rest are to be auctioned .

Mumbai: Sachin Tendulkar, Harbhajan Singh, Kieron Pollard, Lasith Malinga

Chennai: MS Dhoni, Suresh Raina, M Vijay, Albie Morkel

Rajasthan: Shane Warne, Shane Watson

Delhi: Virender Sehwag

Bangalore: Virat Kohli

More...
Thought Rajasthan were kicked out?

As have said in the past, redistributing players is the stupidest thing I've ever seen in any sport.

Blaze 18

Banned
I guess I am just looking at things a little differently. If I were the captain/owner of an IPL side, there are a number of openers I would have over Murali Vijay. However, I would have to think long and hard about having a spinner over Muralitharan.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Murali was probably asking for too much money from CSK.

Or probably is not available in future schedules of IPL.
You have to negotiate a seperate deal with the players you want to retain.

morgieb

Because it would probably cost them more if they let him go to the auction.
Yeah, Murali probably won't be as valuable (for whatever reason) as Morkel and Vijay (Morkel's a slogger, so the punters love him for 20/20, and Vijay's young and Indian), so it sorta makes sense from that perspective....

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I guess I am just looking at things a little differently. If I were the captain/owner of an IPL side, there are a number of openers I would have over Murali Vijay. However, I would have to think long and hard about having a spinner over Muralitharan.
But you have to have 7 Indians in your side no matter what. By securing Dhoni, Raina and Vijay, Chennai are starting from a pretty strong domestic base.

Besides, Murali has never struck me as being a particularly outstanding T20 spinner anyway.

Last edited: