• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Cricket Dhaba

Best thread name

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cnerd123

likes this
I don't know if it's a fundamental change at grassroots or what - but it also seems like the batsman just do not care about their secondary skills now a days. We used to have Sehwag , Yuvraj , Raina , Sachin , Ganguly all capable of bowling in a pinch, Dravid could keep if the team balance required it, Yuvraj's bowling was such a massive factor in us winning the 11 WC.

Literally no one does part time bowling now and if they do (Rohit , Kohli) - they completely stop it as soon as their position in the team gets solidified on pure batting. It's not a major factor tbh, but it does hurt and the team does lose some flexibility because of this.
our bowlers are all rubbish with the bat too. Definitely seems to be a systematic issue. As pointed out, despite 2 new balls part-timers still exist. A guy like Stoinis is barely a bowler but works on it enough that he can get some filth away when the side needs it.

Sunil1z

International Regular
our bowlers are all rubbish with the bat too. Definitely seems to be a systematic issue. As pointed out, despite 2 new balls part-timers still exist. A guy like Stoinis is barely a bowler but works on it enough that he can get some filth away when the side needs it.
Forget secondary skills, atleast 50% of our team members have very poor fielding skill. Even if you can’t contribute with secondary skill , atleast try to save 10 to 20 runs with your fielding effort.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
Think Dhoni once mentioned that with the 2 new balls and 1 less fielder outside the ring until the 40th over rule he wouldn't have used Raina, Yuvraj, Sehwag, etc if he was still the captain. Would have to find that specific interview though. It has generally rendered finger spin quite ineffective in whiteball cricket which even Ashwin mentioned on his youtube channel with that video analyst guy.
It however still doesn't explain how other teams get players like Livingstone who can bowl both off and leg spin - an extreme but still - while we have bowlers who can't even field properly and batsmen who have altogether given up bowling. The edge which we used to have as regards spin bowling both in batting and bowling has disappeared in white ball cricket and partially in test cricket too.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Quit wet dreams about all rounders to give depth to batting and million bowling options. Pick your best 6 batsmen, best 4 bowlers and 1 best available all rounder. It's all this fancy **** why we had literally no proper batsmen in the squad to replace underperforming batsmen.
nah this is bull****. This was done in 2019 and the team suffered from not having a sixth bowler to switch to when main spinners were being hit. There is a reason why South Africa let Markram develop his bowling and backed him despite his poor returns for sometime to become a batting all rounder because a sixth bowler is vital. Every team in world cricket has one but somehow India is this one mighty little **** that doesn’t care about adapting to the demands of today’s cricket

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Quit wet dreams about all rounders to give depth to batting and million bowling options. Pick your best 6 batsmen, best 4 bowlers and 1 best available all rounder. It's all this fancy **** why we had literally no proper batsmen in the squad to replace underperforming batsmen.
You still need a sixth bowling option when one of your five has a bad day.

Last edited:

DriveClub

International Regular
Surely rohit has to be sacked from t20s now? Not only is he useless with the bat between him and ashwin on the field it reminds me of watching a legends match

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Rahul, Rohit, Kohli all were slow starters. Should have put Surya at #3 to break the tuktuk top 3*. We repeatedly were going at 6 to 6.5 an over until 10th over before Surya got a chance to smack around.

* Before anyone @ me, Kohli had a really good tournament and was arguably our MVP batsman. It's the combination with the openers that doesn't work.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Rahul, Rohit, Kohli all were slow starters. Should have put Surya at #3 to break the tuktuk top 3*. We repeatedly were going at 6 to 6.5 an over until 10th over before Surya got a chance to smack around.

* Before anyone @ me, Kohli had a really good tournament and was arguably our MVP batsman. It's the combination with the openers that doesn't work.
You make the right point. Just because Kohli had a great tourney doesn't take him out of the tuk tuk gang. Even in the first Pakistan game, he took it quite far before exploding at the end. 40 odd off 3 is not easy at all and cannot be pulled off every game.

While Kohli should have a bullet aimed, Rohit and Rahul should be downright sacked from the T20I team. It should be Pant opening preferably with Shaw or with Kohli. SKY should bat at 3 and Hardik should be at 4. SKY is the best T20 batsman in the world currently and he should get more overs that what he is getting right now by batting at 3.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its silly to blame Virat for no boundaries in the PP when he played so little of it. And he at least attempts the boundary shots. TBF, from whatever I saw, so did Rohit but he is just so woefully out of form right now. Rahul is the one wiht the attitude issue IMO. Rohit anyways should probably be considering retiring from this format at least internationally. Virat is still the best batsman in India overall and he is far better and more consistent as the anchor than anyone else in the world, really.

I won't mind if Virat and Rohit both decide to quit T20s but if they don't, I think we should move on from Rohit but not Virat. At least not yet. He has basically been the WT20 GOAT batsman. We should still build around him IMO. And even if he does not fire, it's not like we will be lacking #3 options come 2024. I have already shared the sides I would want in an earlier post. Hopefully that is the route we take going forward.