• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India Doom and Gloom Thread

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
With so much unrest among Indian ranks, Aus must be chomping at the bit to get theirs back. They might even have had better than 50% odds if the series were to be played right now, in March or so, as it was in the past.
It really depends on Rohit or Virat. I dont see anyone else who can really lead this side apart from those two. If Rohit is not back by then, we are ****ed.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I expect Australia is going to get rolled big time. They will likely call off the Pakistan tour because of some dumb rumour of something something that our media, government and taskforces will say is too big a risk. Then covid something something will be too big a threat and the dickheads will go to India with no preparation, having pulled out of an Afghan test again and finding a reason to cast Sri Lanka as problematic too.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
It really depends on Rohit or Virat. I dont see anyone else who can really lead this side apart from those two. If Rohit is not back by then, we are ****ed.
Rohit simply isn't a long-term solution. To be honest, I'm not entirely comfortable with he or KL being touted as captaincy prospects, simply because they've only recently "cemented" their place in the Test XI. Rohit is old and broken while KL sneaked back into the side only because of Gill's injury. I feel you need a little more depth of performance to command the top position; what if they revert to their previous means and we're stuck with a no-good incumbent? All the more reason why this Kohli-BCCI fallout has come at the most inopportune time possible. Kohli should've been given the peace of mind to serve out his tenure on his terms, by which time we could've identified a few more leadership prospects.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
The Doom and Gloom mainly stems from poor selection and talent management really. We have the depth of talent to have different Test, ODI and T20I squads without needing to play anyone in all 3 formats. JAM ODIs and T20Is should be used to test our bench strength, but instead we're burning out guys like Bumrah/Ashwin and running out known quantities like Dhawan. There isn't any foresight here.

We're also going to keep struggling in overseas conditions because the BCCI won't let our next gen talent sign up for overseas tournaments. They view Indian cricketers as 'assets', and believe that allowing them to play domestic/franchise cricket in non BCCI-leagues is therefore allowing those other cricket boards to profit off of them, which is such a dumb line of thinking. In their desperation to not let other cricket boards make any money they're sacrificing the development, and thus the long-term health, of our International team.

We definitely need more U19/A Team cricket happening, but this seems low on the priority list right now. Or Women's team is barely getting any cricket as well. BCCI is just obsessed with fulfilling the men's International tours and the IPL for commercial reasons.

The rot starts at the top, and unless Ganguly can get **** in order we're going to continue to punch below our weight for years to come.
No Ranji for 2 years is also a problem. The BCCI quite rightly values it's cash cow ie the IPL highly but it's a matter of priorities.
The Dravid reign so far has been disappointing, if you were to include the SL series too.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Rohit simply isn't a long-term solution. To be honest, I'm not entirely comfortable with he or KL being touted as captaincy prospects, simply because they've only recently "cemented" their place in the Test XI. Rohit is old and broken while KL sneaked back into the side only because of Gill's injury. I feel you need a little more depth of performance to command the top position; what if they revert to their previous means and we're stuck with a no-good incumbent? All the more reason why this Kohli-BCCI fallout has come at the most inopportune time possible. Kohli should've been given the peace of mind to serve out his tenure on his terms, by which time we could've identified a few more leadership prospects.
I think it has become obvious the team had peaked under Virat-Bewda as far as LO cricket goes though. I actually wouldn't have minded Dravid and Co. being brought in for the LOs first and Rohit being made captain. Of course, the discussions need to have happened in a calm, mature and considered way but this way, we could have had the best of both worlds to an extent.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How good is not having a working FC cricket system?

India should be associates now.

Chrish

International Debutant
Feel bad for Dravid. He has taken over during a volatile period..

I have a feeling he will be blamed for recent short-comings while the real cause is fallout of Kohli with BCCI/ Ganguly. Hope he won’t be made a sacrificial lamb.

Chrish

International Debutant
Australia will be stupid to skip Pakistan. They have the opportunity to accomplish that no other team has done in a very long time when September comes.

We are kinda in a shambles right now.

subshakerz

International Coach
Dont think the situation is that bad for India. They are basically where they were around 10 years ago when the last gen of batters was declining. But in this case they still have a relatively young and fit pace bowling attack and I am sure Kohli will rebound as a bat. They will have another round of home series like 2015 - 2017 and may even be emerge a stronger away team after that.

I think the cricket institutions in India now are capable enough that it will prevent the team from sinking into mid-tier status for some time. They should remain a top tier team for the next 5 years.

Even as a Pakistan fan, I will always respect this team for being the first Asian team to break the barriers in Australia.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
We need some out of the box thinking in lois clearly, last time a reset was needed was around 2015 when we were lacking firepower in the lower order. Someone like McCullum could have the same effect that Chappell had when he was coach here without hopefully ruffling everyone's feathers in the same way. He got KKR's openers batting aggressively after publicly calling them out which makes me think he could get us taking the England approach instead of the outdated batting style we are seeing from the top order.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The worry about Dravid taking over, for me, has always been that he was someone who seemed to buy into a lot of Greg Chappell's philosophy. Now granted, it did give us MSD as captain but I feel GC himself and his ideas were best suited for more foundational levels, like U19 and India A, where, like Dravid himself pointed out, especially with the A program, the focus was on getting the next batch of players ready than trying to win games. That seemed an ideal set up which we have meddled with needlessly.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Why not have different coaches in different formats. I mean we have different players and captains already. Probably deserves a thread of its own.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Did I read this right? The BCCI have just cancelled the Ranji Trophy outright this year?

What is Ganguly doing?
I dont think they have officially cancelled it. Its just a leak at this point, they may figure out a way to run a shortened tournament for like 6 weeks, but to have a 4 day tournament of 36 teams done in 6 weeks still needs a lot of planning.

They had planned it to start by 10th Jan or whatever but the 3rd wave meant they had to postpone it and now they dont have enough time, coz like always, the IPL dates are untouchable. :(

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Why not have different coaches in different formats. I mean we have different players and captains already. Probably deserves a thread of its own.
It is what I would have done. I would have asked Virat to step down from LO formats and brought in Dravid and his team only for that format. Bewda and Virat could have continued till this WTC cycle at least.

cnerd123

likes this
Did I read this right? The BCCI have just cancelled the Ranji Trophy outright this year?

What is Ganguly doing?
Protecting the BCCI's bottom line by ensuring the lucrative IPL and Men's international tour broadcast commitments are met.

I thought we could expect better given Ganguly is a former player and captain, but he's been leveraging his position as BCCI President to do Fantasy Cricket ads on TV so...

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
SMAT and VHT did go ahead as per schedule. A full fledged Ranji season needs a lot more planning to execute but you'd trust the BCCI to prioritize it no matter what 2 yrs into the pandemic at least.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
It is what I would have done. I would have asked Virat to step down from LO formats and brought in Dravid and his team only for that format. Bewda and Virat could have continued till this WTC cycle at least.
Shastri probably saw the writing on the wall and Kohli was obviously preempted into resigning too. As far as Kohli goes, I see but two possibilities going forward: either he regains the captaincy an year or two from now because of a vacuum around the role, or he calls it quits way ahead of schedule. The first is unlikely unless things are aligned enough again for him to accept the post. Odds are he'll be gone by then.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Shastri probably saw the writing on the wall and Kohli was obviously preempted into resigning too. As far as Kohli goes, I see but two possibilities going forward: either he regains the captaincy an year or two from now because of a vacuum around the role, or he calls it quits way ahead of schedule. The first is unlikely unless things are aligned enough again for him to accept the post. Odds are he'll be gone by then.
Virat always proves people wrong though. Guy thrives on that. Hopefully he does that again.