• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Imran Khan vs Richard Hadlee

The better cricketer

• Imran Khan

Votes: 41 68.3%
  • Richard Hadlee

Votes: 19 31.7%

• Total voters

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Hadlee overall slightly. Imran is in the top the 10 pacers ever, but Hadlee is in the top 3 ever, and amongst the six(except Bradman)or so I consider to have absolutely mastered their respective disciplines(others being Sachin, Marshall, McGrath, Hobbs, Viv). Even in this group, Sachin and Marshall stand out. The difference between their primary skills and Imran’s bowling is for me equal to the difference between Imran’s batting and Marshall’s odd use as a lower order bat and Sachin’s part time bowling. However in Hadlee’s case the difference between his and Imran’s secondary skill(batting) is lesser than above mentioned and I consider Hadlee to be closer to Marshall than Imran in bowling(if he was midway it would be a tie between him and Imran), so for me the difference in Hadlee and Imran’s bowling is by the slightest margins more than the difference in their batting.
Hope I hadn't responded to this already, but love this post.

Your top 7 is almost identical to mine, just that you have Viv instead of Sobers (I do have Vivian 8th and Steyn 9th) as well as the reasoning behind it. Just the absolute best at their primary skills.

subshakerz

International Coach
Hope I hadn't responded to this already, but love this post.

Your top 7 is almost identical to mine, just that you have Viv instead of Sobers (I do have Vivian 8th and Steyn 9th) as well as the reasoning behind it. Just the absolute best at their primary skills.
It's flawed logic. Marshall or Tendulkar being no.1s doesn't give them extra points. Marshalls batting and Imran's batting are a huge gulf and the bowler difference is actually minimal and only seem more because we are obsessed with rankings.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I love how we start a comparison thread with player A vs player B…and it turns out to player C vs player D

That’s why we have that ATG arguing thread.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
McGrath and Pollock aren’t close as bowlers. McGrath was the better cricketer.
The second disciplines only matter when comparing players who are in the same tier in their first disciplines.

They're not almost equal bowlers though unless you only factor overall bowling average. I can't imagine any of their peers from their era (from neutral countries) NOT saying Hadlee was the better bowler of the two.
Agree with all of this.

There's no way I'm selecting Pollock over any of the top 3 bowlers, probably even the top 8. He simply wasn't as effective nor had match turning potential as a bowler that they did and the barring can't overcome several tier deficit. So McGrath for me clearly over Pollock.

Similarly as Paddles was clearly accepted as the better bowler (and pretty good bat), and they are being chosen for that primary skill, why would being better only in the secondary skill (when Hadlee wasn't exactly a bunny) cause one to jump the other?

Hadlee for me on this one, though not by much.

smash84

The Tiger King
Agree with all of this.

Similarly as Paddles was clearly accepted as the better bowler (and pretty good bat), and they are being chosen for that primary skill, why would being better only in the secondary skill (when Hadlee wasn't exactly a bunny) cause one to jump the other?
think about it, the answer to this question is not hard.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
think about it, the answer to this question is not hard.
We just disagree philosophically. I think Hadlee was better with the ball to the extent it supercedes the extra 10 runs with the bat.

Even with my preferred 2nd skill, slip fielding I don't replace Sachin with Lara, Hammond or Kallis. And I think that Lara has a better claim than Imran as he was (IMHO) marginally closer to Sachin than Imran was to Hadlee.

smash84

The Tiger King
We just disagree philosophically. I think Hadlee was better with the ball to the extent it supercedes the extra 10 runs with the bat.

Even with my preferred 2nd skill, slip fielding I don't replace Sachin with Lara, Hammond or Kallis. And I think that Lara has a better claim than Imran as he was (IMHO) marginally closer to Sachin than Imran was to Hadlee.
So, you already did know the answer? Which incidentally was plastered all over the previous pages. Then why were you putting that question up in the first place? 🤔

I am guessing you also put Malcolm Marshall as a greater cricketer than Hadlee?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
So, you already did know the answer? Which incidentally was plastered all over the previous pages. Then why were you putting that question up in the first place? 🤔

I am guessing you also put Malcolm Marshall as a greater cricketer than Hadlee?
It was hypothetical.

Bradman, Sobers, Marshall, Hobbs, Hadlee, McGrath, Tendulkar.