• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Imran Khan vs Richard Hadlee

The better cricketer

• Imran Khan

Votes: 41 68.3%
  • Richard Hadlee

Votes: 19 31.7%

• Total voters

Jumno

U19 Captain
I dont know why people using captaincy to assess the value of a player.

1. Its hard to evaluate
2. Its unfair, because only 10% gets the chance

Style, stardom, attitude.. Etc are better qualifications 😴
In this case, I feel yes Hadlee is the better bowler, however Imran make the team purely as a batsman and is an ATG pace bowler too.

For me, it gives Imran a slight edge.

shortpitched713

International Captain
It's funny, but while the 80s were ongoing, I don't think it would be weird to say Imran surpassed the very best bowlers of the Era in Hadlee and Marshall just on his bowling alone. Obviously, he declined as a bowler (and picked up his batting quality), towards the tail end of the decade.

But these 3 players, I think were very obviously the most high value players of the 80s.

The English media's love affair with peak Botham as an "all-rounder", really skewed this fundamental value proposition, namely that bowlers should be first compared to one another on bowling first, before getting anything like batting into the equation. And for this reason we were busy comparing the wrong players in the Era, and being impressed by the wrong things.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
It's funny, but while the 80s were ongoing, I don't think it would be weird to say Imran surpassed the very best bowlers of the Era in Hadlee and Marshall just on his bowling alone. Obviously, he declined as a bowler (and picked up his batting quality), towards the tail end of the decade.

But these 3 players, I think were very obviously the most high value players of the 80s.

The English media's love affair with peak Botham as an "all-rounder", really skewed this fundamental value proposition, namely that bowlers should be first compared to one another on bowling first, before getting anything like batting into the equation. And for this reason we were busy comparing the wrong players in the Era, and being impressed by the wrong things.
Is that really to do with Botham? He was arguably the best bowler in the world for 3 or 4 years there

shortpitched713

International Captain
Is that really to do with Botham? He was arguably the best bowler in the world for 3 or 4 years there
Sure he showed great performance, at his early peak, but the fascination with him continued even when it was clear he wasn't that quality of a bowler. No point in the fascination of comparing him and Kapil and Imran, when the much better bowlers to be compared and celebrated should have been Hadlee and Marshal and Imran.

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
I think if anyone is saying Botham wasn’t in the argument for best bowler in the world in his first 4-5 years they’re being completely disingenuous.
Was just taking the mick out of the grammatical structure of your post tbh.