• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If you could get rid of one thing from the cricketing scene...

If you could get rid of one thing:

• Total voters

Redbacks

International Captain
Minnows might not be a total waste of time, but they allow easy games for the nations likely to play them more often.

In terms of ranking points on the ICC tables, there should be a teir 1 and teir 2 factor to scale results.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Minnows might not be a total waste of time, but they allow easy games for the nations likely to play them more often.

In terms of ranking points on the ICC tables, there should be a teir 1 and teir 2 factor to scale results.
Results are scaled based on quality of opposition, so I'm not sure what you're trying to imply here. :huh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neither I nor our erstwhile South Australian n00b were suggesting it was likely, I don't think - the whole idea of this thread is that we mention things we know are idealistic but wish would come to pass.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Neither I nor our erstwhile South Australian n00b were suggesting it was likely, I don't think - the whole idea of this thread is that we mention things we know are idealistic but wish would come to pass.
He was suggesting they should be scaled in some manner, which they are.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH I interpreted it as there should be a different tier, where only results from one count to one, the other to the other.

Guess we'll just have to wait for him to return and clarify. Presuming his first visit does not end being his only one as so many do. :)

Redbacks

International Captain
Well first, the world record score in a one day match in that pitiful Sri Lanka v Netherlands match, should not be classed as a top teir fixture.

It just seems ridiculus that SA can overtake us in the 1 day rankings by beating Bangladesh 3-0. FIFA, although another flawed system, use a formula to take into account world rankings etc. From what I understood, you currently get points based on a series win, regardless of opposition.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Well first, the world record score in a one day match in that pitiful Sri Lanka v Netherlands match, should not be classed as a top teir fixture.

It just seems ridiculus that SA can overtake us in the 1 day rankings by beating Bangladesh 3-0. FIFA, although another flawed system, use a formula to take into account world rankings etc. From what I understood, you currently get points based on a series win, regardless of opposition.
FIFA also weights World Cup games highly and gives them many more points than other games.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

This is actually an interesting thing. If I$C$C will insist on having all the top 16 teams playing ODIs (much as I disagree with Ireland and Scotland being classed as separate teams, and with Bermuda being classed as worth ODI status) then maybe it might be an idea to have two tiers of ODIs: Senior ODI and Junior ODI. With only games between those obviously of standard (would've been 6 at the start, rising as far as 9 in the time between 1991 and 1999, and 8 at the current time) being classified Senior, anything involving the "next tier" being Junior.

And obviously, retrospective could be applied. England vs Canada in 1979 should not be a ODI every bit as much as Bermuda vs India in 2007 should not be.

Last edited:

Redbacks

International Captain
Sounds good. I remember watching the game between SA and AUS when they broke the world record to win the game and thinking, 500 is possible and it will be a special day when this record is broken. Well what a flop, no camera's at the game and i'm not sure that cricinfo even coevered the game.

Nishant

International 12th Man
umpiring errors TBF....they do more harm than good as seen in the recent test series bt india and australia.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
And obviously, retrospective could be applied. England vs Canada in 1975 should not be a ODI every bit as much as Bermuda vs India in 2007 should not be.
It isn't, because they didn't play each other in 1975. :p

East Africa were yer minnows in the inaugural world cup.

Protean

State Regular
You only get points for a series win in tests I think? Also, SA can only overtake because they are ranked pretty much the same as Aus already. Due to winning lots of games, and Aus losing a bunch. They will not even go up a whole rating point, just a few decimal points, which is what seperates them atm. And if SA lose even one they will go down in the ratings, because of Bangladesh being rated so far below them. Works pretty well imo.