• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If you could change anything about cricket -

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That's saying about 45 wrong decisions in an ODI, or 27 in a session of Test Cricket, by each umpire...

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
That's saying about 45 wrong decisions in an ODI, or 27 in a session of Test Cricket, by each umpire...
that really depends on how many decisions you are looking at....as i said earlier, lets leave no balls and wides and stuff out because technology can get that 100% right.
looking exclusively at lbw and caught behind decisions,id say theres at least 5 mistakes in an ODI game, and i doubt an umpire makes more than 70-80 decisions in a game. i think technology would probably make 1 mistake in an entire game.....

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Casson said:
I was saying that there are people who will always find a reason to complain.
i doubt it, the viewers have the benefit of seeing on the replay whether or not someone is out.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
that really depends on how many decisions you are looking at....as i said earlier, lets leave no balls and wides and stuff out because technology can get that 100% right.
looking exclusively at lbw and caught behind decisions,id say theres at least 5 mistakes in an ODI game, and i doubt an umpire makes more than 70-80 decisions in a game. i think technology would probably make 1 mistake in an entire game.....
The exact statistics are not relevant to the argument and discussing the exact percentages and number of decisions made per game shows total lack of appreciation of the point being made.

The fact of the matter is that the thrust of what TEC is saying is absolutely correct.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
looking exclusively at lbw and caught behind decisions,id say theres at least 5 mistakes in an ODI game
Based on what?

There's rarely a Test where there's a total of 5 wrong decisions like that, let alone 5 each in an ODI.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
i doubt it, the viewers have the benefit of seeing on the replay whether or not someone is out.
Except when the replay is inconclusive (which seems to be surprisingly often for something allegedly almost perfect)

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Based on what?

There's rarely a Test where there's a total of 5 wrong decisions like that, let alone 5 each in an ODI.
no because most of the time they are not clear cut decisions. people will only notice the ones that were clearly out, not ones that take 3-4 replays from each angle before you can make a decision. in which case we give the perennial excuse of 'benefit of the doubt goes to the batsman' or 'its one of those that goes either way'......

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The number of close calls in an ODI is not that many - certainly not 1 every 10 overs, and that would then have to be all got wrong for your figures to be right.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
The number of close calls in an ODI is not that many - certainly not 1 every 10 overs, and that would then have to be all got wrong for your figures to be right.
except that an ODI game has 100 overs(appx).......
and however accurate it is, it is certainly far more accurate than an ordinary umpire, and it doesnt have bad days.......

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Except when the replay is inconclusive (which seems to be surprisingly often for something allegedly almost perfect)
in which case the benefit of the doubt goes to the batsman, if the common viewer cant decide on the replay whether or not someone is out then the decision made really doesnt cause too much of a dilemma after the game.
the point of technology is to ensure that the more obvious ones are given out/not out.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
except that an ODI game has 100 overs(appx).......
And 2 umpires - 5 mistakes each means that by your reckoning there's a close call at least every 10 overs.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
in which case the benefit of the doubt goes to the batsman, if the common viewer cant decide on the replay whether or not someone is out then the decision made really doesnt cause too much of a dilemma after the game.
And all that hapens is that 5 minutes is wasted when over rates are already at an all time low.

tooextracool said:
the point of technology is to ensure that the more obvious ones are given out/not out.
Hang on, a minute ago you wanted it for the close decisions, now you're saying it will ensure the obvius ones (which incidentally are rarely incorrect, but people make an almighty whinge when one is)

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
And all that hapens is that 5 minutes is wasted when over rates are already at an all time low.
yes but we'd much rather have umpires make wrong decisions that can potentially change matches....

marc71178 said:
Hang on, a minute ago you wanted it for the close decisions, now you're saying it will ensure the obvius ones (which incidentally are rarely incorrect, but people make an almighty whinge when one is)
err i said 'more obvious' ones, by which i mean the ones that are obvious using technology, yet not so obvious without.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
And 2 umpires - 5 mistakes each means that by your reckoning there's a close call at least every 10 overs.
who said anything about 5 mistakes each?i said that there are 5 mistakes in an entire game.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
i couldn't stand it if we went to the third umpire over every close decision. and as we've seen with the run outs, even the rather obvious ones will end up being referred to the third umpire coz the central umpire doesn't want to be embarrassed if they got a simple decision wrong.

just give the umpires access to the stump microphone through the ear pieces they already have.

please, don't turn it into gridiron where we stop the game far too often. over rates are a vital ingredient in a watchable cricket game. an idea suggested recently was to rotate three umpires during the day - give them all a session off, keep them fresh and make it easier for them to concentrate?

odyssey

Cricket Spectator
Like i said before the third umpire should be used as he is now.....but, if a batsmen is given out incorrectly and the next ball is yet to be bowled then he should have the right to overrule and the batsmen be recalled......But only on obvious decisions....ie: a big inside edge on an LBW, or a caught behind that clearly hit the thigh-pad....

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
You can't recall a batsman like that - completely undermines the umpire.
yet we can have big screens on the ground that show the replays in front of the umpire when he quite clearly makes a wrong decision......