• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If not for match fixing, how would Hansie and Azhar be remembered?

SuperMurali

School Boy/Girl Captain
There's not doubt that Cronje and Azharrudin were great players. But their records have been tarnished by match fixing.

If that they didn't fix (or if we never found out), how highly would they be rated? All time great? Would they be in the all time India and South Africa teams?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Cronje was a decent cricketer, gritty batsman, and tough, but not ATG. He's not keeping any of Kallis, Nourse, DeVilliers, Faulkner or Amla out of a SA ATG middle order.

Azzhuradin has more ATG claims but he's competing with Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman, Hazare and prob Kohli now.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Azhar was ATG on the eye, best Indian player to watch bat for me, dreamy shots all over the place.

Cronje was like a Saffer version of Collingwood and not that good just a gritty fighter.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting contrast with these two - bitterly resent Cronje and all he stood for and the memory of him as a cricketer is irrevocably sullied by what he did. With Azhar though the abiding feeling is what a shame, and what a stylish batsman he was. Viewed objectively both were as bad as each other, so the firmness of the wrist is obviously a factor in how the human condition is judged ......................

Teja.

Global Moderator
Azhar played some of the most randomly absurd 132 (89) knocks against top class pace bowling when the situation didn't even call for aggression despite not being a particularly aggressive batsman in general.

Also competes with VVS for being the best player from my city.

He's a **** but a very memorable batsman.

OverratedSanity

Azhar was the VVS before VVS not just in the wristy Hyderabadi way but also in getting out in infuriating ways but out of the blue producing the kind of knocks no one else would even attempt. Would definitely be fondly remembered... and not just in India either. He made it a point to produce 1/2 utterly insane knocks in every country he toured regardless of his overseas inconsistency. Was as tough he was generously giving fans everywhere atleast one glimpse of his entertainment value. Such a damn shame.

Last edited:

SOPL

Cricket Spectator
One must wonder as to what proportion their failures were due to match-fixing rather than an inability/inconsistency.

Agree with most on here about Azharuddin - certainly had the midas touch.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Azharuddin was a master against spin - scored numerous glorious centuries against Murali and also Warne

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
One must wonder as to what proportion their failures were due to match-fixing rather than an inability/inconsistency.
Don't like this way of thinking. Makes match fixers get the benefit of the doubt for their ability. **** them.

Oduodu

School Boy/Girl Captain
i cant argue against that . the question was how he would have been remmebered if he didnt commit fraud.

Oduodu

School Boy/Girl Captain
i dont consider hans an alltime great batsmen. good player of spin bowling . destructive at best in ODI"s.

his captaincy was very good though. and under bob woolmer who waS MURDERED at a world cup he was brilliant. funny how those two are no longer alive.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
i dont consider hans an alltime great batsmen. good player of spin bowling . destructive at best in ODI"s.

his captaincy was very good though. and under bob woolmer who waS MURDERED at a world cup he was brilliant. funny how those two are no longer alive.
Erm...

OverratedSanity

Yeah. Hilarious. I sometimes just randomly think about Hansie crashing into a mountain and burst out laughing.

Actually, nah.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
To give him the benefit of the doubt I don't think he meant funny haha