• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICL Releases Players

Jakester1288

International Regular
It's good to see the likes of Bond back, it seems to me like all the Kiwi's are happy to welcome him back and excited to welcome him back into their squad. He will play test cricket again, IMO, after impressing in the limited overs fixtures.

Also really happy for Bangladesh to be getting it's players back, they are dragging down Test cricket at the moment, hopefully getting their full range of players back helps them be more competitive, more often.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Perhaps this long period of rest did him all the good in the world.
I have to doubt it - it's not like he's never had lengthy periods off before. If he's suddenly capable at 34 of what he never was before he's quite some specimen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Also really happy for Bangladesh to be getting it's players back, they are dragging down Test cricket at the moment, hopefully getting their full range of players back helps them be more competitive, more often.
Bangladesh have barely played since the retirement-to-ICL of that phalanx of players - they were dragging the standard down long before that and will remain doing so whether said players return or not.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Will Bond be selected for the T20 World Cup?

NZ selectors would be foolish not to select him, but NZC are idiots anyway, so **** em.

Flem274*

123/5
Why? That's the future. I'm talking about the past.

I don't find it at all inconceivable that Bond will make himself available for Tests, but I think that'd be a mistake because he made the opposite decision when he was thinking more clearly and less romantically - ie, the decision he made in December 2007 was the sensible one.
Hem ade the descision straight after an injury, hardly a subjective approach.

In any case, Bond and Tuffey would be welcome additions to the fold, and Vincent could probably open (even thoughh e's not a fan of it) better than McCrap as well.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
He made the descision straight after an injury, hardly a subjective approach.
Exactly. Jacob Oram has "indicated" similarly, yet there's still been no announcement. Yet if he signed (hypothetically) right now for the ICL, it doesn't mean that he would have retired from Tests.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Will Bond be selected for the T20 World Cup?

NZ selectors would be foolish not to select him, but NZC are idiots anyway, so **** em.
Bit unfair on the bloke they will have to chuck out of the squad. "Sorry mate, I know it's only a week before the tournament and you've got your bags packed, but Bondy's back."

pasag

RTDAS
Don't think sentiment should come into it. Bond coming back would turn transform NZ from dark horse to near favourites, imho.

Polo23

International Debutant
Vettori + Bond = formidable attack.
Best paceman (at his peak) and spinner in your side definitely can't be a bad thing.

He won't play in the T20 WC though, it's too late now and at the moment it doesnt seem like anyone knows wtf is going on.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
While the focus is on the Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and New Zealand's best, we won't expect anything from the Indians. I have yet to see a single Indian ICL player good enough for India. When the ICL had their fifty-over tournaments, they were completely and totally unnoticed.

Will any of the Kumarans or Vignesh stand a chance of making an Indian A team? I don't think so.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hem ade the descision straight after an injury, hardly a subjective approach.
I'd say precisely the opposite. After the latest of a multitude of injuries generally puts the issue in clearest perspective. Giving-up is generally the best way out, rather than continuing to fight a losing battle. You often fail to realise it's a losing battle with a far-out perspective.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Exactly. Jacob Oram has "indicated" similarly, yet there's still been no announcement. Yet if he signed (hypothetically) right now for the ICL, it doesn't mean that he would have retired from Tests.
No, it'd mean he'd made a decision that meant retiring from Tests was unneccessary.

As for what Oram will do, I'd not be remotely astonished to see him retire from Tests and it might, possibly, be the sensible option. A shame, clearly, but unfortunately you can't win 'em all with a fragile body like Oram's and Bond's.

Flem274*

123/5
I'd say precisely the opposite. After the latest of a multitude of injuries generally puts the issue in clearest perspective. Giving-up is generally the best way out, rather than continuing to fight a losing battle. You often fail to realise it's a losing battle with a far-out perspective.
No, Ok, just no.

When you're down in the dumps and miserable about missing out (and this can apply to any sport really) due to injury, the very last thing you should do is think about retirement.

Giving up is no way out btw, unless you want to get no where. You fall off the horse, you get your ass back on it and try again.

The best time to think about retirement is when you are in a decent position do judge so as subjectively as possibly or if you have something else you'd rather be doing.

Jacob Oram has been considering retirment after an injury for ages now, but he's still getting injured and he hasn't retired. Probably because he's enjoying his cricket.