• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Twenty20 2012 WC Squads

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Australia: George Bailey, Travis Birt, Dan Christian, Pat Cummins, Xavier Doherty, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, Ryan Harris, Ben Hilfenhaus, Brad Hogg, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Ben Laughlin, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Andrew McDonald, Clint McKay, Dirk Nannes, Stephen O'Keefe, Tim Paine, Rob Quiney, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Adam Voges, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Shane Watson, Cameron White.

The irony of Lyon being discovered as a T20 bowler, and then not getting much of a run for Australia, is quite funny if truth be told. Think that he's better suited to the slower wickets of the subcontinent than Doherty as well, a la Ojha who takes the pace off the ball and makes the batsman generate it himself.

inclusion of ryan harris is a good sign for this young inexperienced australian team ....i really hope they do well because they are no better than other teams like india , s.africa and westindies(atm) especially .

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pretty rank looking squad. On paper you'd have it above NZ but it would be pretty marginal with other sides.

pup11

International Coach
Australia: George Bailey, Travis Birt, Dan Christian, Pat Cummins, Xavier Doherty, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, Ryan Harris, Ben Hilfenhaus, Brad Hogg, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Ben Laughlin, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Andrew McDonald, Clint McKay, Dirk Nannes, Stephen O'Keefe, Tim Paine, Rob Quiney, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Adam Voges, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Shane Watson, Cameron White.

The irony of Lyon being discovered as a T20 bowler, and then not getting much of a run for Australia, is quite funny if truth be told. Think that he's better suited to the slower wickets of the subcontinent than Doherty as well, a la Ojha who takes the pace off the ball and makes the batsman generate it himself.
The 30 man squad on first look might look all right but the fact of the matter that along with Lyon, young guys like Hughes, Coulter-Nile, Maddinson have been totally overlooked despite performing has to be kick in teeth for them.

Your performance at the domestic level has have to mean a lot when it comes down to selection because otherwise it just means you have to be in the good books of both the selectors and the captain which is just not acceptable if one wants to pick the best possible team.

Eventually we still have enough good players in there to pick a strong final 15 man squad, but the point of such preliminary squads is to establish a pecking order and its beyond logic to understand how people like Nannes, Laughlin, Shaun Marsh have made it into this squad.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
T20 squad David Warner, Shane Watson, Matthew Wade (wk), David Hussey, Michael Hussey, George Bailey (capt), Cameron White, Daniel Christian, Glenn Maxwell, Brad Hogg, Xavier Doherty, Clint McKay, Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins, Ben Hilfenhaus.

That's the 15 man squad for the Pakistani T20's which are on before the WC. And the 15 man WC squad has to be named before those Pakistani T20's start. So pending Bailey getting sacked, which I wouldn't put past them, that's the squad. The other 15 names have just been drawn out of a hat or something

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Shaun Marsh is a terrific T20 player pup..

I agree though that Laughlin is a completely meh selection and I would have preferred to have seen a Coulter-Nile (like you mentioned) or McDermott but realistically none of them will make the 15 anyway.

Ruckus

International Captain
Decent enough 15 man squad. No idea why Doherty is in there though. I don't really don't know why Bailey was made captain either. He is a good t20 player, but he is almost the weak link in the batting if you look at the other options there. Marsh should definitely be in the t20 team as well imo.

My ideal team (not using the squad) would probably be something like:

Warner, Watson, Marsh, Dussey, Mussey, White, Wade, Hilf, McKay, Lyon, Cummins

No idea who should be captain though. Dussey, Mckay first ones to get replaced if needed.

Last edited:

Spikey

I wonder if they thought about removing Bailey. I mean, White's back, Watson's there. We don't need a captain. it would have been pretty rough on the guy. But he's def the last batsman picked of those there, and we may well want Christan or someone to play.

Last edited:

Spikey

Watson
Warner
Mussey
White
Bailey
Dussey
Wade
Hogg
Starc
Hilf
Cummins/McKay

Ruckus

International Captain
I wonder if they thought about removing Bailey.
I doubt it. He is clearly someone is who very much in the forefront of the selectors minds atm...no doubt has been earmarked for bigger and better things. So I don't think they would want to be stepping backwards in that respect at this stage.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Ben Laughlin :laugh:

Harsh on McDermott, but they probably picked 25 guys who actually had a chance and drew the last 5 randomly from State cricket. Nannes, Paine and Voges the other obvious three random selections with no hope (surely..)

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
India

Probables: MS Dhoni, Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, R Ashwin, Pragyan Ojha, Umesh Yadav, Ashok Dinda, Ajinkya Rahane, Manoj Tiwary, Rahul Sharma, Vinay Kumar, Zaheer Khan, Yuvraj Singh, Robin Uthappa, Irfan Pathan, Yusuf Pathan, Mandeep Singh, Piyush Chawla, Ravindra Jadeja, Shikhar Dhawan, Ambati Rayudu, Harbhajan Singh, Munaf Patel, Naman Ojha, Dinesh Karthik, Praveen Kumar, L Balaji.

Looks fine. Exclusion of Awana is surprising if he isn't injured. Awana was the best Indian bowler during the IPL. Don't want to see Munaf Patel near the final 15.

pup11

International Coach
Shaun Marsh is a terrific T20 player pup..

I agree though that Laughlin is a completely meh selection and I would have preferred to have seen a Coulter-Nile (like you mentioned) or McDermott but realistically none of them will make the 15 anyway.
Yup... Marsh is a terrific player but he has blown away plenty of chances in the past and he should be made to work his way back into reckoning, pretty much the same thing can be said about Johnson as well.

Like I said the eventual 15 man squad would be on the expected lines but the whole point of a 30 man squad is to appreciate the performances of players who have done well in the format either domestically or internationally and when that doesn't happen it probably just ridicules the efforts of the players who have preformed consistently.

Spikey

Ben Laughlin :laugh:

Harsh on McDermott, but they probably picked 25 guys who actually had a chance and drew the last 5 randomly from State cricket. Nannes, Paine and Voges the other obvious three random selections with no hope (surely..)

Paine's an obvious selection, if only because if you don't name more than one keeper in the squad of 30, and the one keeper gets injured, i think you might be ****ed. in fact, i'm surprised there's only two keepers in the 30. seems like you may as well name 3 or 4.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Paine's an obvious selection, if only because if you don't name more than one keeper in the squad of 30, and the one keeper gets injured, i think you might be ****ed. in fact, i'm surprised there's only two keepers in the 30. seems like you may as well name 3 or 4.
My bad, skimmed the list and entirely forgot that Haddin retired from T20s.

pup11

International Coach
#1 Watson
#2 Warner
#3 Mussey
#4 Bailey
#5 Dussey
#6 White/Christian
#7 Wade
#8 Maxwell
#9 O'Keffe
#10 Starc/Cummins
#11 Hilf
#12 Mckay
#13 Birt
This team gives us good batting depth and decent spin options as well, also rather than taking someone like Paine as the reserve keeper we are much better off having someone like Birt who not only is a destructive T20 batsman but he can also keep in case of a sudden injury to Wade.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yup... Marsh is a terrific player but he has blown away plenty of chances in the past and he should be made to work his way back into reckoning, pretty much the same thing can be said about Johnson as well.

Like I said the eventual 15 man squad would be on the expected lines but the whole point of a 30 man squad is to appreciate the performances of players who have done well in the format either domestically or internationally and when that doesn't happen it probably just ridicules the efforts of the players who have preformed consistently.
You just said earlier that it was beyond logic how Marsh got selected, I am saying that he's a fine player of T20 Cricket so hence that's why he got selected. Particularly in Sri Lanka you would have to think that he could have been one of our danger man.

What did Maddinson do well for you to say he deserves a spot? It would have been a surprise if he had of made the top 30 players in T20 - I would prefer to have seen Klinger or Dan Harris over Nic Mad.

Jacknife

International Captain
No Kevin Pietersen in England's 30 man squad which includes Joe Root, Gareth Batty and James Taylor.

Gareth Batty :laugh:

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire, captain)
James Anderson (Lancashire)
Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire)
Gareth Batty (Surrey)
Ian Bell (Warwickshire)
Ravi Bopara (Essex)
Scott Borthwick (Durham)
Tim Bresnan (Yorkshire)
Danny Briggs (Hampshire)
Jos Buttler (Somerset)
Alastair Cook (Essex)
Steven Croft (Lancashire)
Steven Davies (Surrey)
Jade Dernbach (Surrey)
Steven Finn (Middlesex)
Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire)
Craig Kieswetter (Somerset)
Michael Lumb (Nottinghamshire)
Stuart Meaker (Surrey)
Eoin Morgan (Middlesex)
Graham Onions (Durham)
Samit Patel (Nottinghamshire)
Matt Prior (Sussex)
Joe Root (Yorkshire)
Ben Stokes (Durham)
Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire)
James Taylor (Nottinghamshire)
James Tredwell (Kent)
Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)
Luke Wright (Sussex)

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Croft deserves to be in that squad given his form this season- as does batty tbf. Root really isn't much of a T20 bat.