• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Awards tonight!

tooextracool

International Coach
Sehwag309 said:
And no Tendulkar in TEST?
tendulkar really hasnt done anything of substance over the last 1.5 years.....2 good innings on the flattest of tracks doesnt make someone deserving i can assure you.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr. P said:
Sehwag is at 6 because he merits a place in the side however the top 5 is so strong he can't grab a spot.
why does he merit a place in the side in the first place? an average of 31 doesnt seem to me like he is desperately required out of position in the side!

Scallywag

Banned
Mister Wright said:
Perhaps, he could replace Ponting. Although, I think the selectors have shown their hands by selecting on statistics, which is fair enough for the teams of the year, however, it will be interesting to see if they take the approach when they name the 'super' teams. As long as Fleming keeps up his good ODI form I'm pretty confident being the best captain will give him the nod ahead of others.
Fleming has no experience captaining a side full of good players. Only one player is a proven leader of a champion team.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Yes it is unfortunate. I'd have taken Murali (based on performances in the last 12 months).

Dar

School Boy/Girl Captain
They should have had a best batsmen and best bowler award for tests and odi as oppose to best player.

And yeah i'd have said Murali for the last 12 months. Warne was banned for half of it

Scallywag

Banned
When the decision between Warne and Murali came up I'm sure they revisited the test series in Sri Lanka where both bowlers bowled on the same pitch in the same tests. Both Warne and Murali have the talent and skill to be in the side but they wanted only one.

In all three tests Warne single handledly won the game with attacking bowling even though Sri Lanka had first innings lead in all the games.
Murali had three tests in a row where he could have won the game for Sri Lanka with his team leading on the first innings, bowling at home he was unable to stop the Australians posting winning scores in all three games.

If you follow cricket you know that killer instinct that helps a bowler take charge and win a match. Murali lacked that killer instinct in all three games.

Call Warne what you like but no spin bowler has influenced a series with such raw attacking bowling ever in the history of cricket.

And some stats on that series.
Second innings wickets by Murali 13wickets @ 32runs
Second innings wickets by Warne 14wickets @ 16runs

When the pressure to win was on it was Warne that stepped up and won the game.

Can you honestly say there is a better bowler than Warne when it comes to winning a game.

Dar

School Boy/Girl Captain
^^^^good point, i can't deny that Warne has much more of a killer instinct than Murali but i think that partly comes with playing for Australia and having quality back up bowling and winning so many games. But i still feel if we're talking about the last 12 months its seems a bit harsh on Murali that a guy who only started playing in February gets in ahead of him.

Scallywag

Banned
Dar said:
^^^^good point, i can't deny that Warne has much more of a killer instinct than Murali but i think that partly comes with playing for Australia and having quality back up bowling and winning so many games. But i still feel if we're talking about the last 12 months its seems a bit harsh on Murali that a guy who only started playing in February gets in ahead of him.
It doesnt matter who Warne plays for or how good his back up bowlers are, he did the deed and Murali didnt. It was plain to see who bowled better and who won the game.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
Fleming has no experience captaining a side full of good players. Only one player is a proven leader of a champion team.
That proves nothing, as just about anybody could lead them.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Can somebody tell me why Pathan got the emerging player award ahead of Yasir Hameed? Was there some sort of qualification thingy?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Langeveldt said:
Can somebody tell me why Pathan got the emerging player award ahead of Yasir Hameed? Was there some sort of qualification thingy?
yea im wondering the same thing...

does anyone kno where i can find the nominees?

Deja moo

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
What qualification thing ?

The nominees were Pathan , Clarke , Hameed and Gul .Pathan won.

Deja moo

International Captain
Scallywag said:
When the decision between Warne and Murali came up I'm sure they revisited the test series in Sri Lanka where both bowlers bowled on the same pitch in the same tests.
Yea , but Warne bowled to the Sri Lankan batsmen , while Murali had to bowl to the Aussies .

Scallywag said:
Murali had three tests in a row where he could have won the game for Sri Lanka with his team leading on the first innings, bowling at home he was unable to stop the Australians posting winning scores in all three games.
And you dont suppose that the Australian batsmen might have actually batted well to come back into those games ?

Scallywag said:
Call Warne what you like but no spin bowler has influenced a series with such raw attacking bowling ever in the history of cricket.
OK , thats pure rubbish . Atleast one example better than that springs to mind immediately.....Harbhajan Singh , 32 wickets in 3 tests vs Australia .

Deja moo

International Captain
What is so puzzling to me is that Shane Warne wasnt even considered worthy of nomination for test player of the year , whereas Murali was , but still Warne sneaked into the test team ahead of Murali .

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
I agree that Murali should have been placed ahead of Warne, but I was surprised and to be honest, annoyed that Murali complained about it. He seems almost selfish IMO, I know Warnie wouldn't have made those comments...

Warne gets as much crap if not more then Murali but he still plays cricket, Warne would have bothered to come over to Aussie:@

Scallywag

Banned
Deja moo said:
OK , thats pure rubbish . Atleast one example better than that springs to mind immediately.....Harbhajan Singh , 32 wickets in 3 tests vs Australia .

Australia won the first test so I cant see how Harbhajan's attacking bowling influenced that match at all.

From your comments on Murali failing to dismiss the Australians 3 times from a winning position because the batsmen were too good really shows why he didnt get in the world XI. You spelt it out yourself, he was not good enough to dismiss the Australians on all three occassions.

Deja moo

International Captain
Scallywag said:
Australia won the first test so I cant see how Harbhajan's attacking bowling influenced that match at all.
So Harbhajan is punished because his team wasnt good enough to win the test ? He picked up 4 wickets in the first innings, which is very good . It wasnt his fault if the batsmen capitulated leaving Australia just 48 to get in the last innings. I dont think even Warne could have done anything to stop any batting line-up ( let alone the Aussies ) from getting to 48 .

Scallywag said:
From your comments on Murali failing to dismiss the Australians 3 times from a winning position because the batsmen were too good really shows why he didnt get in the world XI. You spelt it out yourself, he was not good enough to dismiss the Australians on all three occassions.
So the critereon for being picked in a world 11 is that the bowler must have dismissed the opposition twice in all tests ? Wonder which bowler would make it then ?

Please explain why you assume that Warne would have dismissed the opposition twice if he was bowling to the Australian batsmen ?