• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Awards tonight!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Mister Wright said:
I think the ICC have shown how they will select their teams to face (whichever team is on top) in the super challenge next year. Instead of picking players how have performed well against the side, they will pick the best 'statistical XI'. Which I guess, is fair enough.
This Team was picked by Richie Benaud (Australia), Barry Richards(SA lives in Australia), Ian Botham (England), Michael Holding(West Indies) and Sunil Gavaskar (India). It was not selected by the panel who voted for the awards!!

It is certainly not the best Statistical XI. Because Murali would have been the first pick on stats.

I don't think next year's world XI is likely to be picked by this same panel, since Richie and quite possibly Barry are unlikely to be put in such a panel.

masterblaster

International Captain
Well done to Rahul Dravid for winning the deserved Test Player of the Year and Cricketer of the Year.

A very, very special achievement.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
masterblaster said:
Well done to Rahul Dravid for winning the deserved Test Player of the Year and Cricketer of the Year.

A very, very special achievement.
Indeed. I wanted to see him win that award.

Also congratulations to the other winners and those who were nominated.

Craig

World Traveller
JASON said:
This Team was picked by Richie Benaud (Australia), Barry Richards(SA lives in Australia), Ian Botham (England), Michael Holding(West Indies) and Sunil Gavaskar (India). It was not selected by the panel who voted for the awards!!

It is certainly not the best Statistical XI. Because Murali would have been the first pick on stats.

I don't think next year's world XI is likely to be picked by this same panel, since Richie and quite possibly Barry are unlikely to be put in such a panel.
Then I am surprised they would pick an unbalanced team.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
I am in agreement with the OD side. We can argue, over-analyse and everything, but in the end we will realise the whole top order is awesome and that is why Kallis/Flintoff are down the order.

Test side not all that bad. Only part I would change is Flintoff; he has to be in.:)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Nedved's Fan said:
Shane Warne = legend What you got against him?

Vaas destroyed South Africa, and ran though Australia in one match. Pollock is in decline.
But those figures all suggest the 3 he mentioned were very unlucky to miss out.

I imagine it's something to do with the period of play that these awards cover (up to 31st July I believe, thus some of Flintoff's performances will count to next years)

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
I still find it hard to believe that New Zealand is the second best ODI team, yet does not have a single player in the ODI team!

shaka

International Regular
NZ did not feature in the individual awards because a lot of their team are allrounder or allrounder-fielder, so not everyone has to keep performing, but it would help if one of them did, similar to Mark Richardson's consistencies opening in the test matches

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
Then I am surprised they would pick an unbalanced team.
If the criteria was players performances of the last year, then Murali who played the whole year and took many more wickets would be the number one pick, since Warne has only played 2 series against Srilanka in March and June to be considered in the past year!!

Thus to me it seems obvious that Richie, Barry and Beefy have had their influence over Sunny and Holding in selecting a player into the Test side after playing only 5 Tests in the past year!! :)

Shane Warne was also banned for 6 months of this past year in question.(which obviously the selection panel conveniently forgot in their selection of the world XI :p )

Murali - (in Past Year) V England - 26 wickets (3 tests) , V Australia 28 wickets (3 tests) , V SA 5 wickets (1 test) + 2 x Zim Tests
Shane - V Sri Lanka (3 tests) 26 wickets , V SL 10 wickets (2 tests)

It seems obvious that the people who saw it fit to nominate Murali for consideration in three of the award categories (the panel who nominated players for the award categories)were obviously of a different mind frame to Richie,Barry and Beefy and Co. (since that panel did not consider Shane's performances worthy of even consideration in even one of the categories - may have been to do with his ban for part of the year).

I wonder if the selection panel for the world eleven should have been more broad based than these five to reflect a greater consensus of opinions on this team.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I see NZ won the token fairplay award. Anyone know how this was decided? e.g. various players, umpires asked who they thought etc?

bhajji

Banned
well done rahul......

hail dravid i am so happy for him.....he is truly a legend havin played some of the best knocks ever in test cricket history like 233*vs aus in adelaide,270 vs pakistan in rawalpindi,180 vs australia in calcutta,218 vs england at the oval etc.....wat a player!!

Swervy

International Captain
bhajji said:
hail dravid i am so happy for him.....he is truly a legend havin played some of the best knocks ever in test cricket history like 233*vs aus in adelaide,270 vs pakistan in rawalpindi,180 vs australia in calcutta,218 vs england at the oval etc.....wat a player!!
yes..congrats to a great player.

Bhajji,where have you been...was looking forward to your postings in the time India were getting a hammering vs England :D

bhajji

Banned
yessss.....

Swervy said:
yes..congrats to a great player.

Bhajji,where have you been...was looking forward to your postings in the time India were getting a hammering vs England :D
lol u didnt expect me to come post somethin when that was happenin did u :D anyways the 3rd match india showed wat they're made of & i believe it was just wat was required to kickstart their new season leading to winnin the icc trophy as well as the home series vs australia & SA .....so lookin forward to smashing successes like last seasons showing in australia & pakistan jai hind!!

Sehwag309

Banned
Mr. P said:
I am in agreement with the OD side. We can argue, over-analyse and everything, but in the end we will realise the whole top order is awesome and that is why Kallis/Flintoff are down the order.

Test side not all that bad. Only part I would change is Flintoff; he has to be in.:)
You really think Lara deserves a place in the ODI team?

And no Tendulkar in TEST?

Gibbs as opener in TEST? (Would have Prefered Smith)

..glad to see Gillespie in bith XI's

..sehwag at 6, are they including him as a bowler?

Last edited:

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Sehwag is at 6 because he merits a place in the side however the top 5 is so strong he can't grab a spot.

SRT is not in the side because it is based on form, not career.:) Personally I strongly agree with Gibbs...you may think otherwise...

Sehwag309

Banned
Mr. P said:
Sehwag is at 6 because he merits a place in the side however the top 5 is so strong he can't grab a spot.

SRT is not in the side because it is based on form, not career.:) Personally I strongly agree with Gibbs...you may think otherwise...
How abt Lara in ODI XI

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Will Scarlet said:
I still find it hard to believe that New Zealand is the second best ODI team, yet does not have a single player in the ODI team!
I can easily believe it.

For one, a lot of their recent games don't count for anything yet (as with Flintoff's recent performances)

And secondly they are a very good team of 11 capable players rather than a team with stars in.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr. P said:
And doesn't merit a place IMO.

If they're in the team, it should be based on what they usually do (and as Sehwag opens and there's been at least 2 (+Crystal) better than him, he doesn't merit a place), so Gayle at 3 doesn't work for me either.

tooextracool

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
Oh you forgot, Murali took 27 wickets in 3 matches against Australia!
and you also forget that warne took wickets at a better average and SR than murali's in the same series

a massive zebra said:
Regarding Zimbabwe, you can only perform against who you are put up against.
again how does this make him more deserving of the award than warne?

a massive zebra said:
He took twice as many wickets as Warne this year, and has clearly been the better bowler of the two for at least 5 years.
and the fact that he has played more cricket, against poor opposition and with an illegal delivery for parts of it might have something to do with that?

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr. P said:
which is really why the side is stupid IMO......the point of kallis at 7 would be what?