• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC are a bunch of bullies and make cricket boring.

amokk1

U19 12th Man
ICC not amused by criticism of umpires
http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2005/FEB/180725_PAK_11FEB2005.html

It seems to me, that everytime someone attacks the ICC, they don't have the guts to admit it that YES they are at fault but penalise the person who makes such comments with their so called "Level 1/Level 2 Code of conduct"

When Micheal Vaughan express him self about the lights, and should be rightly able to...ICC jumps all over him and threatens him with suspension or fine.

Shoaib Aktar makes a gesture towards the stand when Justin Langer is out, he is breaking a rule of conduct. And when Shewag is called for excess appealing, then you realize that ICC is a joke.

And yes, you have have to admit that the umpring during the VB series was horrible. Why won't the ICC for once accept it that yes, the umpires need to lift their standards instead of just fining and critizing players who raise a concern about the them. The teams are lifting their standards, why doesnt the ICC do the same with their umpires ?

I've always felt the ICC has taken the fun out of cricket. Test match is so boring because of the ICC's code of conduct. That's most people find cricket boring, it's just come out, bat and bowl. All the human aspects of it seem to be getting thrown out.

Craig

World Traveller
I think if a guy isn't looking and you point him in the directon of the pavillon then that should be ok IMO, but if he is not, then no.

Swervy

International Captain
amokk1 said:
ICC not amused by criticism of umpires
http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2005/FEB/180725_PAK_11FEB2005.html

It seems to me, that everytime someone attacks the ICC, they don't have the guts to admit it that YES they are at fault but penalise the person who makes such comments with their so called "Level 1/Level 2 Code of conduct"

When Micheal Vaughan express him self about the lights, and should be rightly able to...ICC jumps all over him and threatens him with suspension or fine.

Shoaib Aktar makes a gesture towards the stand when Justin Langer is out, he is breaking a rule of conduct. And when Shewag is called for excess appealing, then you realize that ICC is a joke.

And yes, you have have to admit that the umpring during the VB series was horrible. Why won't the ICC for once accept it that yes, the umpires need to lift their standards instead of just fining and critizing players who raise a concern about the them. The teams are lifting their standards, why doesnt the ICC do the same with their umpires ?

I've always felt the ICC has taken the fun out of cricket. Test match is so boring because of the ICC's code of conduct. That's most people find cricket boring, it's just come out, bat and bowl. All the human aspects of it seem to be getting thrown out.

its pretty much the same in any sport though

dinu23

International Debutant
yeah, test cricket has become boring. but there must be rules in place for dicipline. otherwise the cricket field would resemble a battle field.

Choora

State Regular
dinu23 said:
yeah, test cricket has become boring. but there must be rules in place for dicipline. otherwise the cricket field would resemble a battle field.
They are becomming to strick, if they continue to behave like this then indeed cricket will become too boring.

Swervy

International Captain
dinu23 said:
Test cricket has become boring????

You obviously have been watching the wrong test matches then,tests are so much better excitement wise than say 15 years ago...IMO anyway

Craig

World Traveller
I agree with Swervy.

Anyway watch a game of football (Soccer) and you will see undisipline aimed at the ref and too many too gutless to send a guy off.

Swervy

International Captain
Craig said:
I agree with Swervy.

Anyway watch a game of football (Soccer) and you will see undisipline aimed at the ref and too many too gutless to send a guy off.

very true about football....and IMO football (soccer) has been going down the pan for a few years now,in England anyway

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Swervy said:
very true about football....and IMO football (soccer) has been going down the pan for a few years now,in England anyway
Was only a matter of time before it did, watching some of the foreign leagues they've been consistently diving/cheating/harassing referees merrily for a lot longer than in England, it was only a matter of time before that came over here and once they saw they could get away with that they push the line you shouldn't step across back further.

telsor

U19 12th Man
The brought in strict rules because people complained of inconsistancy/bias, so now the rules say if you do X, you get the penalty, regardless of circumstances.

I wouldn't be surprised if those same people are the ones complaining now....

amokk1

U19 12th Man
Well, I only been watching cricket since start of 1999. But for me, the umpires need to get it right. 90% of the time is not good enough. When players like Gilchrist or Tendulkar are given a life...it can have a tremondous outcome on the match.

I ain't complaning or nothing, I think when there is more action and words going on the field, the game is more interesting. Fair enough, if you go too far and too personal, but when you get into trouble for gesturing towards the stand or over appealing..that's when it has to stop.

The players/coaches are complaining because the umpires have not been getting right lately. Players career can be lost in the decision sometimes. ICC should listen to what the players and coaches are saying and try to improve on it, and not just throw out fines and make them quite.

Instead of aknowleding that YES, the umpires had a poor series and we will try and see what we can do. They decide to fine players or hand out suspensions. That's what really annoys me.

Last edited:

andyc

yeah i feel players or coaches should be able to say whatever they want off the field. on the field, their actions or words should be monitored, but off the field, people should be allowed to say what they want without being punished.

telsor

U19 12th Man
Players and coaches are allowed to comment on umpires, indeed the captains are required to fill out a report at the end of each match (series?).

The problem is when they do so in the media. 2 reasons for that. The first is that the umpires can't reply ( or do you think umpires commenting on players form/technique would be a good idea? ) and attacking someone publically when they can't reply is just bad behaviour.

The other, and perhaps more important reason is that those in charge of cricket need to look at the game as a whole. Umpiring is a thankless, but necessary job, and the more abuse they cop, the fewer there are who will do the job. The direct effect of this is that at lower levels you just don't get umpires, but in the longer term, having fewer umpires entering the system means the pool from which to pick higher grade umpires gets smaller and the overall standard drops.

There is a BIG difference between having a quiet word with the official questioning a decision and publically saying they stuffed up.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

I do think the ICC are right in fining (or whatever) Woolmer in response to the 29-5 thing, it was stupid to say something like that. You could say something like "we felt we had a few more decisions go against us in that series" that would be fine in my view, but to say oh it was 29-5 against us is a guestimated and therefore worthless statistic, it's worse than the stuff Richard cooks up with his 2nd chance averages.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I find it pretty bad that you can be fined for moaning about a duff decision, but the umpire can't be fined for making it?

What kind of message does that send out?

Swervy

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
I find it pretty bad that you can be fined for moaning about a duff decision, but the umpire can't be fined for making it?

if umpires were fined for making duff decisions, do you not think there would be a huge shortage of people wanting to be umpires.

these days, the umpires living is solely from umpiring (the elite ones at least, and I guess thats what we are talking about)..its their job.Pretty much like any job, you cant go fining an employee for making mistakes,you can warn them that they need to buck their ideas up,put them through additional training etc,but it would be morally wrong to fine them...cricketers dont get fined for poor performance, they get fined for breaking pre-defined rules

BoyBrumby

Englishman
One thing I find particularly irksome is the ICC dragging its feet over changes that are obviously beneficial to the game.

The one that annoys me most is no-balls. Why can't they be called by the third ump? One less thing for the standing umps to be concerned with, so should have a knock-on effect of fewer duff decisions with LBWs & nicks behind.

Scaly piscine

Langeveldt said:

That's a pretty poor argument.

Do batsmen get fined for playing a bad shot? Do bowlers get fined for bowling a no-ball? Do fielders get fined for dropping a catch?

Do you therefore fine umpires for doing a part of their job badly when the far better paid and (probably) more dedicated professionals can't even do their job without making their own errors?

If there's a better umpire out there they will eventually take the place of the bad umpire, if there aren't any better umpires out there you get a weaker team of umpires just like Bangladesh have a weak team of players. It is not the players' fault for being the best of a bad lot.

andyc

but if a captain publicly criticises one of his players for playing a bad shot, bowling no balls or dropping catches, nothing happens to them.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Apart from wrecking the team morale.

Interestingly, umpiring decisions (inc wides and NBs) went 11-5 to S.Africa in the sixth ODI.