• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"I won't quit" says Vaughan

pasag

RTDAS
26, 45, 1, 6, 0, 5, 30 17 at an average of 16.25. The 45 was against Canada as well. I doubt anyone would, let alone could, argue he should be anywhere near the side.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I do wonder if his reluctance to go has anything to do with Nasser's experience when he gave up the OD captaincy & attempted to continue as test skipper. Hussain said that when he took over the test side again it already felt like Vaughan's team.

If he doesn't go tho he should be gotten rid of, he'll be 36 by the next WC & hasn't ever really looked like making it as a one day player.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The only candidate to take on the ODI captaincy is Collingwood IMO.

Not sure who would replace him at the top of the order though - there's nobody really putting their hand up and saying "pick me"

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Leaving Tres aside for the obvious reason, there's Benning at Surrey who must at least be worthy of a look. He's a far more dynamic bat than any of our current top 3 options. Ali Cook might even be worth a go; it's no secret he's not the most rapid scorer in the world but he's seemingly more likely to go on when he does get a proper start.

Hoppy1987

U19 Debutant
he might not quit but he will probs be axed along with Fletcher.

Why on earth didnt we keep Troy Cooley???

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Good to see Vaughan putting himself before the team. Good on ya mate. You have a chance to make the current England team the direst side ever. Good luck

simmy

International Regular
Vaughan can stay test captain and bat in the top 3 all he likes.

But his one day career is over and he must realise it. He has cost his team and country far too much.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Good to see Vaughan putting himself before the team. Good on ya mate. You have a chance to make the current England team the direst side ever. Good luck
It's really not his fault the selectors keep picking him in ODIs though. If he wants to keep playing, then he shouldn't retire. If the selectors don't think he's good enough, then they won't pick him. It's fairly simple.

Players shouldn't be held responsible for selection by being expected to retire or stand down - that's up to the selectors. Vaughan's only question to himself should be whether he wants to continue playing or not - the rest is the onus of Fletcher and co.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Erm are we forgetting about Pakistan and India?!
They aren't dire, just inconsistent. England are woefully inept for the majority of the time, their CB series sucess was a bit of a fluke really, they played better cricket but it's not likely to happen again soon.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't really see too many problems, TBH - I was kinda hoping he might retire from ODIs, but if not, then not.

I do hope he'll be dropped from the ODI side sometime soon. I wonder what the reaction will be if he scores some runs in the upcoming Tests, mind - I'll be amazed if there isn't quite a few "Vaughan's back in form"s going around.

I don't have any problems whatsoever with split captaincy - just because it didn't work for 1 person, Nasser Hussain (and that, too, might have been different if Pakistan and South Africa hadn't been so awful in the ODIs in 2003) doesn't mean it can't work for someone else, especially when they're 3 years younger.

Incredible to think it's been nearly 4 years since Vaughan first took charge of England. :wacko:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
They aren't dire, just inconsistent. England are woefully inept for the majority of the time, their CB series sucess was a bit of a fluke really, they played better cricket but it's not likely to happen again soon.
Pakistan without Asif and Akhtar, which is quite a possibility, are indeed dire, IMO. Not to mention Inzamam's retirement. Their fast bowling attack and middle order batting have been their only saviours and both of those areas have just been weakened significantly. I predict a rough time for them in the next few years.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Vaughan can stay test captain and bat in the top 3 all he likes.

But his one day career is over and he must realise it. He has cost his team and country far too much.
His team is his country...

But as he said - it's a decision for others to make. I hope they have the sense to make it.

pasag

RTDAS
His team is his country...

But as he said - it's a decision for others to make. I hope they have the sense to make it.
Yeah but he should have the sense to go out gracefully as opposed to his one-day career ending by being dropped which I'm sure isn't the greatest feeling.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pakistan without Asif and Akhtar, which is quite a possibility, are indeed dire, IMO. Not to mention Inzamam's retirement. Their fast bowling attack and middle order batting have been their only saviours and both of those areas have just been weakened significantly. I predict a rough time for them in the next few years.
Asif has been average in ODI's so far in his career. I think they still have quite a good middle order though with Younis, Yousuf and Malik all being quality players. Their fast bowling has been weakened, but a guy like Umar Gul has great potential and could turn out to be a very good bowler.