• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Huge talents who have missed the boat

grapedo

Banned
Who are some players who have had large amounts of talent but haven't had a go for selection or injury reasons.

grapedo

Banned
One that springs immedieatly to mind is macgill. Fastest bowler to take 200 wickets but never had much of a go because of the Warne factor. He also had a better strike rate than Warne.

jondavluc

State Regular
One that springs immedieatly to mind is macgill. Fastest bowler to take 200 wickets but never had much of a go because of the Warne factor. He also had a better strike rate than Warne.
Mcgill had additude problems I'm glad he didn't make it:laugh:

Brad Hodge will most likely get in this boat his one.(I don't like him much but still 50 average in first class ain't bad)

David Hussey too.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mmmm trying to figure out how Lehman wasn't a great example. Better batsman than either Katich & Clarke, and probably Mark Waugh (IMO, obvs) yet was overlooked for all 3 of them at various stages of his career

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Shane Watson is in danger of going down this road. :(

Somehow, I have a terrible feeling Henriques will be the same.

Edit: those aren't quite answers to the question.

How about Matthew Nicholson?

grapedo

Banned
Mmmm trying to figure out how Lehman wasn't a great example. Better batsman than either Katich & Clarke, and probably Mark Waugh (IMO, obvs) yet was overlooked for all 3 of them at various stages of his career
He played 27 test matches and if he was so good he would have performed in the last 7 or 8 instead of playing like a complete muppet.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Stuart Law and Brad Hodge are tough stories. You can argue Hodge had his chance, and whilst he was a failure in ODIs, and wasn't amazing in his tests, he still averaged over 50 in the whites. Tough luck. Can't help but feel his poor ODI performances somehow affected the selector's decision.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Supposedly got dropped because of his marital problems and was replaced by langer who slammed some centuries together