• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How to measure how fast you bowl?

pskov

International 12th Man
Any method where you have a human timing a delivery with a stopwatch is going to have a huge margin for error that renders the practice largely a waste of time. It simply impossible for a human to accurately measure the exact moment the ball passes the stumps other than by sheer luck, and with the calculations to translate a time into speed a couple of tenths here or there can make it look like you are bowling much quicker/slower than you are. The only decent way other than a radar gun would be a video.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I used this last week. I'm almost 17 years old, and I got my dad to take my speed ten times, and I got an average of round about 130 km/h?
One ball measured 144 km/h.
Is that possible?
I would probably ignore the extreme measurements. I've timed 10 year olds at 80mph before... and as much as I'd like to believe that my kids are going to scare the pants off everyone we play, that just ain't happening.

I found that it took a good degree of practice to get reliable measurements: it is easier when there's a batsman in to give you a sound/vision trigger rather than hitting the back of the net - you can end up coming up with over-quick times as you can't figure out when to hit the stop button. You can pretty much guarantee you are 120-130, though. If I am honest, now I typically do it all by eye - I have done so much of it I can tell to a good degree of accuracy where somebody is on the speed gun. This is always useful at County trials when you find 20 children telling you they're fast bowlers when they aren't even medium...

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I used this last week. I'm almost 17 years old, and I got my dad to take my speed ten times, and I got an average of round about 130 km/h?
One ball measured 144 km/h.
Is that possible?
Even a 0,1s difference (reaction time) will change the results drastically. Best way is to calculate using videos. It has 20 frames per second (25 in some cameras) and you can calculate it to the nearest 0.05s