• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How many test wickets will Anderson end up with?

How many test wickets will Jimmy end up with?

• 660 ish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • High 600s

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Low 700s

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Mid 700s

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • High 700s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than Murali

Votes: 2 10.5%

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Could see him limping past Muralis record as his average skyrockets due to diminished ability, much like Kapil Dev

ataraxia

International Coach
Think he'll keep going until the end of the 2023 Ashes, so that would put him at roughly Warne's figure.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Could see him limping past Muralis record as his average skyrockets due to diminished ability, much like Kapil Dev
I don't see him doing it like Kapil. While injuries are a constant bug bear England have enough bowlers to take over if he falls away. Kapil's average didn't even skyrocket, it was consistently above 29 for all but a few tests from the 1986 home season onwards.

Xix2565

International Debutant
I mean Anderson is the kind of bowler whose style/usage doesn't lend to large increases in average unless you do some stats magic for a specific case. Economical and not really the guy who bowls long spells to rack up those conceded runs. Add on what Starfighter said about English bowling strength (specifically seam/swing ones) and he'd probably stop on a relatively good note unless there's something tragic in store in the future (cricket wise).

Flem274*

123/5
Ashes is yonks away right? I half expect him to bow out at the end of the home summer tbh. He's proven his point against and outlasted the people who dropped him. Now he can have a victory lap and end it in front of his fans.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The option 651 should be there or there's a chance no one can be right. I thought he was finished after only lasting about 20 minutes of the last home Ashes, but with the next Ashes less than a year away I don't see him retiring unless he gets injured again.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ashes is yonks away right? I half expect him to bow out at the end of the home summer tbh. He's proven his point against and outlasted the people who dropped him. Now he can have a victory lap and end it in front of his fans.
A year. He will bow out after our 4-0 win* IMO

*One draw due to heavy rain coming in as Oz are at 21/9 in the second innings of the third test

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
*One draw due to heavy rain coming in as Oz are at 21/9 in the second innings of the third test
I don't care who wins the Ashes (but might lean towards the Poms as they've got a Kiwi captain, coach, and spin coach), but more importantly want the 26 all out out of the record books so send them back out in the rain.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
The option 651 should be there or there's a chance no one can be right. I thought he was finished after only lasting about 20 minutes of the last home Ashes, but with the next Ashes less than a year away I don't see him retiring unless he gets injured again.
651 is close enough to 660ish.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Regardless of his final tally, Jimmy is going to have a number of wickets that no other quick will match in the foreseeable future.