• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good was Gilchrist?

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Standing up at the wicket, a keepers hands move more naturally sideways left/right than up/down.
After many years, they become attuned to expect the ball to move left or right. A ball that jumps up or stays low is a surprise one, which could catch them off-guard.
There are other factors involved - losing sight of ball, amount of turn, mystery turn etc

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Keeping to disciplined fast / spin bowlers is always easy than to wild ones. West Indian and Pakistani keepers tend to get under appreciated for their efforts. In addition Pakistani ones deal with mystery spinners too. (No, no, not Akmal).
Latif would be remembered well if he didn't disgrace himself. Used to take some wild deliveries off Wasim/Waqar and kept well to Mushtaq.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
not top tier in keeping but very solid, especially the 2nd half of his career...also an explosive albeit inconsistent middle order bat, spectacular and could take the game away from the opposition in short order when he was on...

i would have him in an all-time one day xi as the keeper and a middle order (emphasis on middle order and not opening) batsman...i don't think he should even get a peek into an all-time test xi...

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm guessing your mates at indoor didn't turn it as much as Warne or Macgill though?
I'm guessing you haven't played much indoor? It's very easy due to the ball and pitch to make the thing spin a mile even with little skill

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I remember talk that Gilchrist was pretty average as a keeper on his first tour of England in 2001. Obviously worked very hard on it, as I don't recall any mistakes from the '05 series.

Robbie

U19 12th Man
Too good. Edge the ball to Gilly/Waugh/Ponting/Clarke/Warne at your own risk, they were that good. Even if the ball looked like falling short of slip fielders, one of them would dive forward to take the catch.
Which one of them it was, presumably depended in part on what year it was.

Robbie

U19 12th Man
I remember talk that Gilchrist was pretty average as a keeper on his first tour of England in 2001. Obviously worked very hard on it, as I don't recall any mistakes from the '05 series.
I don't remember his keeping ever being seen as a weakness tbh, and although there probably were some, I don't remember any missed chances against England.

I remember Mark Butcher dropping him 4 times in one innings off Darren Gough though.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I remember talk that Gilchrist was pretty average as a keeper on his first tour of England in 2001.
Weird, I followed pretty OCD back then and recall nothing of the sort. I don't think his keeping changed in quality much if at all during his career as he was quite experienced even when he deputed. Improved a bit up to the stumps to Warne maybe but he was always very good

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
From what I have seen of him, he is good enough to get into all teams just with his keeping. His catching was spectacular.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Gilly was also fortunate in some way to debut when he was very much the final product and at the beginning of his absolute peak. Thus the world got to see for most part of his career the best of Gilly. His batting and keeping to some extent did tail away in the last couple of years or so, but he exited quite graciously.

Obviously we can't judge.a player by what he was prior to debut, so rightfully Gikchrist will remain Bradman of keeper-bats for some time to come. Pant has shown some ridiculous promise so early in his career and his keeping is improving rapidly. Heres to hope.he continues to improve it further.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
When Gilly completed 2,000 Test runs and averaged 60+, I recall thinking this is on the level of G.Pollock, G.Headley.
Then he maintains 60+ average after 3,000 Test runs. Superlative considering being wk, explosive batting, but alas too good to last

1613618003344.png

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
not top tier in keeping but very solid, especially the 2nd half of his career...also an explosive albeit inconsistent middle order bat, spectacular and could take the game away from the opposition in short order when he was on...

i would have him in an all-time one day xi as the keeper and a middle order (emphasis on middle order and not opening) batsman...i don't think he should even get a peek into an all-time test xi...
Inconsistent? The bloke averages 48 and has over 10 100's coming in at 7. Hardly inconsistent.