• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do Williamson/Root/Smith compare to Tendulkar/Ponting/Lara?

Who will history remember as the 3 greatest? [Pick 3]

• Total voters

91Jmay

International Coach
I reckon if we are going by when their genius was recognised both Sanga/Younis belong in the Cook/KP/Amla generation.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Get it right ffs guys.

Not strictly based on debut:

Tendulkar/Lara/Waugh/Inzy - Class of the late 80s/early 90s.
Ponting/Dravid/Kallis/Chanderpaul/Mahela - Class of the mid 90s
Sanga/Sehwag/Smith/Younis/Hayden - Class of the late 90s/early 00s
ABDv/KP/Clarke/Hussey/Amla - Class of the mid 00s.
KW/Matthews/Smith/Root/Kohli - Class of the late 00s/early 10s.

Might have missed a name here and there.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Get it right ffs guys.

Not strictly based on debut:

Tendulkar/Lara/Waugh/Inzy - Class of the late 80s/early 90s.
Sanga/Sehwag/Smith/Younis/Hayden - Class of the late 90s/early 00s
ABDv/KP/Clarke/Hussey/Amla - Class of the mid 00s.
KW/Matthews/Smith/Root/Kohli - Class of the late 00s/early 10s.

Might have missed a name here and there.
Cook FFS

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I feel sorry for Trott and Bell - a few years ago they were both better than KP and Cook but now they are written off as mediocre. Funny how careers can slide

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

i dont know where to even start with this

edit - nvm thought you were talking about peak form but it seems you meant their debut

Slifer

International Captain
I seriously hope that the people who have voted for kw at this stage in his career over Ricky Ponting are joking...

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I seriously hope that the people who have voted for kw at this stage in his career over Ricky Ponting are joking...
You realise what a predictive vote is right? You yourself said "at this stage". And at this stage, KW has been superb. If he carries on like this for another 10 years, he'd rightfully be considered as great as Ponting.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would have said Smith without a doubt before the most recent Aus/NZ series but KW was so so impressive I had to vote for him

I certainly see him averaging higher than Smith now, though Smith might end up having more magic moments, eg game winning 100s

91Jmay

International Coach
13 Number of fifty-plus scores by Joe Root in Tests in 2015. This equals the record for the most such scores in a calendar year by a batsman. Virender Sehwag made 13 fifty-plus scores in 2010.
In 26 innings, at least half of his innings this calendar year have been impactful.