• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do Williamson/Root/Smith compare to Tendulkar/Ponting/Lara?

Who will history remember as the 3 greatest? [Pick 3]

• Total voters

Tom Flint

International Regular
Only because he plays a ridiculous amount of tests and has been playing since he was 21.
Come on mate, if Cook continues in his current form which is fairly likely given, that he is only 30 then he will end up with close to 12000 test runs with an average close or just over 50. These are phenomenal number for an opening batsmen rivalled by no-one from my generation post 1990. Hayden viru and smith come close but I find it even more impressive cook has done it consistently over such a long period of time.
Forget his stats he has also dominated and won man of series awards all over the world inc India aus and the UAE. Only South Africa eludes him and I wouldn't bet against him changing that in the next few weeks!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Cook is a bit like Border, isn't he? Excellent player but dour and so not rated as high as he should be?

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
So I guess because he had a good year we're ignoring the past 2? He's also got a terrible conversion rate for an opener.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Cook is a bit like Border, isn't he? Excellent player but dour and so not rated as high as he should be?
It depends on who you ask about rating Border. To Australians of my vintage or close to it, AB ranks half a notch below God (or Bradman, which is essentially the same thing).

Tom Flint

International Regular
Hayden smith langer viru all finished with a 50 average. I can see cook finishing with 50+ avg too. With him possibly scoring an extra 2000 more runs than the others he has to sit on top. Supposing he scores 2000 runs in his final 2/3 years

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He's also been outstripped by multiple other openers who played during his career. Hayden, Smith, Sehwag, Langer, Warner.
In what way have any of them outstripped him?

Not saying he's definitively better than any (except Langer, won't even entertain that one) but neither are any of them definitively better. Cook opens the batting in arguably the toughest place for an opener, and well if you question that, ask any of those guys really (except Smith, who has gunned it over here plenty, and how).

Someone else can pick up the mantle to argue Cook V any of those if they wish but what you have stated as a fact is far from it

91Jmay

International Coach
He's also been outstripped by multiple other openers who played during his career. Hayden, Smith, Sehwag, Langer, Warner.
If you are talking about their careers crossing, Cook was a better player for the years he played when Langer/Hayden still did by quite some distance so nah that is bollocks.

Cook also a better opener than Langer any day of the week at their peaks as well. Sehwag and Warner are also debatable, although I'd certainly understand people taking them over him.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Warner sehwag and hayden will always stick in people's mind for their destructive style, aura and stroke making whereas Cook knows his limitations and waits for the bowler to bowl in an area he is comfortable in. This concentration and discipline sets him apart. Smith is very similar and my first pick opener for combining his class batting with probably being the best captain there has ever been

cnerd123

likes this
Cook may be lacking in strokeplaying and natural 'batting' ability when compared to other greats, but his temperament, shot selection, stamina and ruthlessness are all at ATG level. The guy is immense.

Stace

First Class Debutant
After 2 bad years and losing the ODI captaincy and being discarded from the ODI side just before the world cup to now being the leading Test match run scorer this year, being in the ICC team o the year (as captain too), playing one of the best innings of the year in the UAE, improving immensely as captain, leading the side to an ashes victory after getting humiliated 5-0 previously. He has shown he's not only a great batsman but he's shown he's got great bottle and massive pair of bollox. Alastair Cook is a guy EVERYONE would want in there side.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Cook is an amazing test batsman. Among the best of this generation and definitely belongs in such conversations. And I ****ing hate him for his style of batting and his role in the KP saga. But even I am not going to deny those facts.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Different generations.

There's Tendulkar, Ponting, Lara, Kallis, Sangakkara

Then there's Cook, ABDV, Clarke, Pietersen, Taylor, Amla

Now there's KW, Root, Smith, Warner, Kohli, Mathews