• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Are You Doing On CM?

MrPrez

International Debutant
French, German, and Brazilian regens generally tend to be very OP in my experience.

Not so much on recent versions, but a few years back it became ridiculous.
Yup agreed.

And there are always a few absolute monsters from Colombia and Mexico available for relatively cheap.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Ah itstl, I never knew that.
It just means you have to wait ages to start giving them a game.

Which is annoying, as my youth intake this season has given me a young striker who my coaches are extremely excited about and who has already scored twice for the U19s.

Germany's good though. You get good young players and there's a variety this season in terms of challenge. Bayern need a rebuild to become a force in Europe again, Dortmund, Leverkusen and Leipzig all have exciting young sides that can go places and if you fancy rescuing a sleeping giant, Köln or Hamburg both start in Bundesliga 2 and Kaiserslautern and 1860 Munich start in Division 3.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Lyon look like they'd be good fun as well. Reckon I might try and make Ndombele my top target at Leipzig in the summer.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, just booted up a save and see what you mean. So many 15 year old Germans about (some of whom I had agreed to sign - but have to wait ages for them to come of age before they can join).

One thing I noticed with the regens on FM18 was the way they kept changing race every time I booted up the game. Funny at first but just became irritating, leading to me disabling the graphics.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, just booted up a save and see what you mean. So many 15 year old Germans about (some of whom I had agreed to sign - but have to wait ages for them to come of age before they can join).

One thing I noticed with the regens on FM18 was the way they kept changing race every time I booted up the game. Funny at first but just became irritating, leading to me disabling the graphics.
There's a double whammy because you need to wait until they're 17 to play them as well. Been ages since I played in England, but I know at Rangers in FM18 that if a young player came through in March who was good enough, I could promote him to the first team and start giving him minutes immediately at the age of 16.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Wikipedia says it merged with Ramlösa (yes, same place as the carbonated water) in 2007 and became Ramlösa Södra, which is now Helsingborg's reserve team.

(Not having a reserve league creates odd incentives.)
Interesting. Is that on Swedish wikipedia?

I'm fairly certain any time I've googled them since that save I've returned next to no information about them, which led me to wonder if they still existed.

Does that merger mean that they operate similarly to how FC Liefering operate with respect to Red Bull Salzburg in Austria?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, the save I have at the moment on FM18 is in about 2027 or so, and I have put a lot of work in developing loads of high quality regens, and want to see how they progress etc. But I am a bit torn, because FM19 is on sale atm and I am tempted.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Interesting. Is that on Swedish wikipedia?

I'm fairly certain any time I've googled them since that save I've returned next to no information about them, which led me to wonder if they still existed.

Does that merger mean that they operate similarly to how FC Liefering operate with respect to Red Bull Salzburg in Austria?
i think the Swedish wikipedia editor forgot to update after the old ones. Rereading, what actually happened was that a new Helsingborg Academy club was founded and took over the league spot and probably players of Ramlösa Södra, and this reserve team dissolved itself when Helsingborg no longer had a reserve squad.

So Ramlösa Södra went down to the 8th tier and will probably never be back. Confusing stuff.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Playing this for the first time in a long while, thought I might actually be done with it at last but no.

FM18 with Arsenal, 2nd after 15 games so not bad (trying a back 3 for the first time) but there have been had a couple of absolute shockers in there, just beat Man Utd 4-0 but that followed a 5-1 loss to Palace....

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I never managed to get 3 at the back to work for Arsenal on FM18. Had similar results to you, some great wins but also some horrible defeats. In the end had to shift to a system with wingers which worked a lot better.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The talk of seasons gone by has prompted me to re-download FM11 from Steam.

Playing as Arsenal.

Sold Arshavin and replaced him with 19 year old Hazard.

Cesc the main man.

These were the days. Sort of.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I've gone back to CM01/02 as its legally downloadable for free and can actually run on an average laptop without taking a week for a month in game.

Forgotten how simple it used to be, but not unenjoyable, especially with the update so it's got current players.
I like it too. Started a game with FC Utrecht.

Only thing annoying me is that saving to file doesn't work (probably some 32-bit/64-bit shenanigans.)

Oh and the mouse speed is too quick so I can't put in exact offers.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I like it too. Started a game with FC Utrecht.

Only thing annoying me is that saving to file doesn't work (probably some 32-bit/64-bit shenanigans.)

Oh and the mouse speed is too quick so I can't put in exact offers.
Oh boy yeah, this 100%

incredibly frustrating

cpr

International Coach
I gave it another go a few weeks back, just found it didn't captivate my attention liked it used to. CM94, now that's a game....

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Ultimate Soccer Manager (USM) 2 (or USM 98) are the pinnacle of management games.

They were so great.

The only management games I have ever come across where there was actually an option to offer bungs/bribes to players/other managers, and to try and fix matches. Brilliant.

cpr

International Coach
Games are too scared to go down that route for fear of litigation. Imagine a game where Juventus could bribe their way to the league title. It'd be realistic, but not very well received in Turin.

For similar reasons FM had to remove stuff like players failing drug tests (not even sure that made a full release in the end) and bans for punching officials (that one did)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Games are too scared to go down that route for fear of litigation. Imagine a game where Juventus could bribe their way to the league title. It'd be realistic, but not very well received in Turin.

For similar reasons FM had to remove stuff like players failing drug tests (not even sure that made a full release in the end) and bans for punching officials (that one did)
Haha I remember that happened to Pothas once on CM01/02. I think it happened to Zidane, leading to him being banned for about 8 months.

But yeah, I think players coming out as gay and/or dying is still a part of the game, but it only for regens, for the reasons you mention.

Ftr the "rig match" function in USM never really worked from what I remember. Just lead to you getting found out and sacked.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I never managed to get 3 at the back to work for Arsenal on FM18. Had similar results to you, some great wins but also some horrible defeats. In the end had to shift to a system with wingers which worked a lot better.
Was the same at Rangers when I tried in FM 18. Defence doesn't defend the flanks properly.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Annoyingly at Leipzig I could have saved myself £30m by waiting until the January version of the database. Two of the signings I made (Haidara from RB Salzburg and Adams from New York Red Bulls) are signings they made in real life during January.

Managed to complete a Bundesliga and Europa League double iny first season.