• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hogg announces his retirement

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Very good, very underrated ODI bowler for me. Also handy with the bat. Didn't have 'enough' in tests but didn't think he was that bad. Very fit and committed cricketer. if only fast bowlers could be as healthy as he has been :(

biased indian

International Coach
Good ODI player...Bad Test Player...

So who is the next man in the line of fire
will australia go back to macgil or is ther any young spin bowler..whom like shane warne can be groomed or is there any 30+ good spin bolwer in FC

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
will australia go back to macgil
If he's fit.

or is ther any young spin bowler..whom like shane warne can be groomed
At the moment, no, not really. Despite the bagging he gets, I still have some faith in Bailey, but picking him in a test at the moment would make as much sense as selecting Bradman.

or is there any 30+ good spin bolwer in FC

Bryce McGain
is the best spinner in Australian domestic cricket at the moment.

Laurrz

International Debutant
:(

he was massively underrated

you know whats really weird...today i was watching him take a 5fer on utube a few years ago o.O and i was thinking...damn this guy is underrated he always gets good drift and tosses it up

mcgain :D a shoe in for ODI's...tests mayb not

Last edited:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hate his guts but respect him as a ODI player.

Hope he does well after cricket. Will be tough to replace in the one day side.

pup11

International Coach
If he's fit.

At the moment, no, not really. Despite the bagging he gets, I still have some faith in Bailey, but picking him in a test at the moment would make as much sense as selecting Bradman.

Bryce McGain
is the best spinner in Australian domestic cricket at the moment.
Now i am sure you are Terry jenner. :ph34r:

pup11

International Coach
Pat on the back to George, he has always been a great team-man, always loved passion with which he played his game and he was always given his 100% to the team, was always pretty underrated, but he always did his job quitely without much fuss, Hoggy you and your tongue would be missed, best of luck for the future mate. :clapping:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Always gave everything on the field. Had his bad moments but generally came across as a nice bloke who tried his heart out in every game for his country... Decent batsman and fielder as well... So will be missed..

I guess tests against India was the last straw... ;)

But seriously, a good whole hearted cricketer and I am sure Australia will miss him, esp. in ODIs...

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Turned out to be a very good ODI bowler, however just didn't have what it took in tests.

Hope Hauritz gets first crack at the OD side.

Dingo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
For someone who started his career as a middle-order batsman nearly 15 years ago, Hogg has certainly done very well for himself. Not the most naturally gifted of players, but someone who gave everything whenever the chance came his way, be it with bat or ball. I doubt there are many who could take up spin bowling as an afterthought and become such an integral part of his country's one-day side.

Considering that he was for some time regarded as the worst player ever to play for Australia, finishing 6th on his country's all-time ODI wicket takers list is an amazing turnaround from his initial steps on the international stage.

Thanks for the memories, the flipper that knocked over Andy Flower, the 2007 World Cup, and the 79 in Sydney this year :)

kwigibo

School Boy/Girl Captain
Doherty doesn't have a shot? He took more OD wickets than any other spinner this season.

masterblaster

International Captain
Would love to see McGain get the spinners slot in the ODI's. He bowled brilliantly against Tasmania in the Ford Ranger Cup final and he's been bowling really well throughout the entire season.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Hauritz for the one day side, MacGill for the test side and McGain the next man in line for both positions.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I was about to ask who will take over the role as 1950s throwback, but McGain will do nicely. Would like to see more of a part in his hair, mind...