• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hobbs or Hutton?

Who's the greater opener?

• Total voters

ataraxia

International Coach
Very similar batsmen, English openers and prolific run-scorers in fairly tough conditions. Who's the better/greater/whatever you wanna call it?

BazBall21

International Regular
Different eras but Hutton over Gavaskar for me. Gavaskar had one amazing tour of England but struggled overall across his other four tours there, averaging 29. He also failed in his toughest tour of each of the other non-Asian countries (not saying he isn’t an ATG, he easily is). Hutton 1946-1954 is absurdly flawless; and he even scored heavily against the best bowling attack of his career despite an admittedly shaky start.

shortpitched713

International Captain
How is a comparison between all-time greats from vastly different eras supposed to be anything but rampant speculation? How are we to assume that Hutton would not fold to the all time great WI pace attacks that Gavaskar faced and acquitted himself so well against?

It's not a crazy take for mine that Gavaskar would be the greatest opener of all time. But in order to pick one over the other from different eras, you'll always have to make assumptions one way or the other, which could be flawed.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Different eras but Hutton over Gavaskar for me. Gavaskar had one amazing tour of England but struggled overall across his other four tours there, averaging 29. He also failed in his toughest tour of each of the other non-Asian countries (not saying he isn’t an ATG, he easily is). Hutton 1946-1954 is absurdly flawless; and he even scored heavily against the best bowling attack of his career despite an admittedly shaky start.
Among Top 50 run scorers

1937-1955
50+ avg - 16
55+ avg - 9
60+ avg - 6

1971-1987
50+ avg - 6
55+ avg - 0

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For Hutton to have the record he has after his wartime accident is incredible - he's the greatest opener for me