• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hear, Hear, Hear : Lend me your Ear

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
SJS said:
How many of the CW guys are in and around Melbourne ? How about a get together. It could be dinner but a lunch on or close to a cricket ground would be great. An opportunity to knock a few balls around in addition on Australian soil would make my year. :)
I'm in Melbourne...I'm sure there are many others.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Have you guys (Burkey and yourself) met before ?
Nope, never met anyone before. Actually, I go to school with membersstand and Bookie, who used to be regulars in the trivia threads a while back if you remember SJS.

But besides those two, never met another CW member in person

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Bumpity bumple bumpleberry bumpenschneider

Anyway.. I was referred here by JP McNamara... yes, I'm in Melbourne, as is Wacko Jacko

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not in Melbourne, but I could be soon!

I'm actually applying for a position on the stats team again after a prolonged abscence! I know my attendance has been tardy but I was actually on a stats fact finding mission...I discovered that stats = facts and therefore request that I be allowed to continue my work on here at some stage, please and thank you!?

Son Of Coco

vic_orthdox said:
Australia's collective age is 350 years, 146 days, or something of the like, while the total Melbourne Cup field's age was only 170 years. :sleep:
There are also 3 or 4 fillies running in the Cup that are far more attractive than some of the women our Shane has chosen to bed (and I'm not talking about his lovely wife here I should point out!)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Son Of Coco said:
Thank you...SJS I'd like to include this in my resume/request for re-employment! :D
Hired !!

get to work. There are some pending assignments here :)

Son Of Coco

SJS said:
Hired !!

get to work. There are some pending assignments here :)
Hurrah! :thumbs_up

Right, I'll flick back through the stuff I've missed and try to gather info on the missing links! :D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
Proove to me that Dave Mohammed and Daniel Vettori would make a better spin partnership the Laker and Lock, Grimmett and O'Reilly, and Murali and Warne did/are/would/you get the picture.
This is one which is not attended.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
MOHAMMED AND VETTORI - THE GREATEST SPINNERS EVER
vs. Grimmett and O'Reilly

Dave Mohammed : Slow Left Chinaman
Daniel Vettori: Slow Left Arm

A combination to rule the ages, the 2 styles of left arm spin, working together have been effective, not only because they are different, but because they are rare, and can decieve the batsman with their armies of variations.

Clarrie Grimmett : Leg Break Googly
Bill O'Reilly : Leg Break Googly

These 2, exactly the same over after over, nothing different, just all bowling Leg Break.

Dave and Dan 1 - 0 Clarrie and Bill

Dave Mohammed : 2 Tests
Daniel Vettori : 65 Tests
Total Test Matches: 67

Clarrie Grimmett : 37 Tests
Bill O'Reilly : 27 Tests
Total Test Matches: 64

So, the 2 D's take it on longevity, and as neither of them have retired yet, they have many more Tests to come

Dave and Dan 2 - 0 Clarrie and Bill

List A Games

Grimmett and O'Reilly have never been selected for a List A match, so we must presume that they were never good enough! Mohammed has been selected for 14 List A matches, and Vettori 221.

Dave and Dan 3 - 0 Clarrie and Bill

FULLTIME

THE CHAMPIONS:

DAVE MOHAMMED AND DANIEL VETTORI

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
I think this is too good to let die - who here can prove Shane Watson will surpass Andrew Flintoff as an all-rounder?

andyc

LongHopCassidy said:
I think this is too good to let die - who here can prove Shane Watson will surpass Andrew Flintoff as an all-rounder?
Apologies for the proper workers for this not being up to scratch, but I'll have a go nonetheless.

Given that Shane Watson has played only 3 tests, we're go by first class stats, as Watson clearly hasn't had enough international experience for his stats to be properly counted.

Batting:
Watson: 82 innings, 3325 runs @ 44.93, HS 203*
Flintoff: 228 innings, 7559 runs @ 35.48, HS 167

So here we can see that Watson not only has the better average, but also the better top score, despite playing only 48 matches to Flintoff's 146. This is a clear indication that Watson has what it takes to become a world-class allrounder, able to secure his place in the team on both his batting and bowling. And the fact that this highest score is not out shows that Watson places a higher price on his wicket.

In fact, when this is explored with more depth, the shocking difference between the two men is exposed. Shane Watson has 8 not outs from his 82 innings, which comes out to 9.75% of his innings, or almost one in ten innings in which Watson is not out. Freddie, on the other hand, has a mere 15 not outs from his 228 innings, an appalling 6.58% of his innings.

Bowling

When the first class bowling averages are compared, Watson again comes up trumps here.

Watson: 48 matches, 86 wickets @ 31.39, SR 52.18, BB 6/32
Flitnoff: 146 matches, 252 wickets @ 31.65, SR 64.92, BB 5/24

Watson's bowling average is clearly superior to Flintoff's. Yes, it is only a difference of .26, but hey, would we still like Bradman so much if his average was 99.68? Additionally, Watson' has a better strike rate by over 12 balls, clearly showing that he is the more dangerous bowler, striking over 2 overs quicker than 'Mr Infredible.' The fact that Watson picks up 1.79 wickets per match further more supports the fact that Watson is a more dangerous bowler, with Freddie again coming in second, with only 1.73 wickets a match.

Watson has also showed his worth as a bowler, with one ten wicket haul under his belt. How many times has the great, wonderful and giant-slaying Flintoff taken? Zero. None, whatsoever. In all his 146 matches--that's three times as many as Watson-- Flintoff has never managed to take 10 wickets in a first class match. He also has taken only three five wicket hauls from these 146 matches, which equates to almost one five-for per every 49 matches. Watson, on the other hand, with two five-fors in his 48 matches, averages one per every 24 matches, which is a staggering two times better than Flintoff.

Clearly, all this is damning proof that Andrew Flintoff has nothing on the all-round ability of Shane Watson. Watson clearly has a bright test career ahead of him, especially as he is a full four years younger than England's wonderboy Flintoff. All I can say is, watch out England.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
andyc said:
Apologies for the proper workers for this not being up to scratch, but I'll have a go nonetheless.

Given that Shane Watson has played only 3 tests, we're go by first class stats, as Watson clearly hasn't had enough international experience for his stats to be properly counted.

Batting:
Watson: 82 innings, 3325 runs @ 44.93, HS 203*
Flintoff: 228 innings, 7559 runs @ 35.48, HS 167

So here we can see that Watson not only has the better average, but also the better top score, despite playing only 48 matches to Flintoff's 146. This is a clear indication that Watson has what it takes to become a world-class allrounder, able to secure his place in the team on both his batting and bowling. And the fact that this highest score is not out shows that Watson places a higher price on his wicket.

In fact, when this is explored with more depth, the shocking difference between the two men is exposed. Shane Watson has 8 not outs from his 82 innings, which comes out to 9.75% of his innings, or almost one in ten innings in which Watson is not out. Freddie, on the other hand, has a mere 15 not outs from his 228 innings, an appalling 6.58% of his innings.

Bowling

When the first class bowling averages are compared, Watson again comes up trumps here.

Watson: 48 matches, 86 wickets @ 31.39, SR 52.18, BB 6/32
Flitnoff: 146 matches, 252 wickets @ 31.65, SR 64.92, BB 5/24

Watson's bowling average is clearly superior to Flintoff's. Yes, it is only a difference of .26, but hey, would we still like Bradman so much if his average was 99.68? Additionally, Watson' has a better strike rate by over 12 balls, clearly showing that he is the more dangerous bowler, striking over 2 overs quicker than 'Mr Infredible.' The fact that Watson picks up 1.79 wickets per match further more supports the fact that Watson is a more dangerous bowler, with Freddie again coming in second, with only 1.73 wickets a match.

Watson has also showed his worth as a bowler, with one ten wicket haul under his belt. How many times has the great, wonderful and giant-slaying Flintoff taken? Zero. None, whatsoever. In all his 146 matches--that's three times as many as Watson-- Flintoff has never managed to take 10 wickets in a first class match. He also has taken only three five wicket hauls from these 146 matches, which equates to almost one five-for per every 49 matches. Watson, on the other hand, with two five-fors in his 48 matches, averages one per every 24 matches, which is a staggering two times better than Flintoff.

Clearly, all this is damning proof that Andrew Flintoff has nothing on the all-round ability of Shane Watson. Watson clearly has a bright test career ahead of him, especially as he is a full four years younger than England's wonderboy Flintoff. All I can say is, watch out England.
Now that is what I call a top class analysis Andy. :cool:

Remember how I said earlier some of the stuff were not up to scratch - well this one certainly was superb.

The criteria taken in for evaluation - not to mention how tough Australian FC cricket is compared to English FC competition!

andyc

Pratyush said:
The criteria taken in for evaluation - not to mention how tough Australian FC cricket is compared to English FC competition!
Oh well that goes without saying