• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hear, Hear, Hear : Lend me your Ear

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Really like the thread but a few ways of proving things is not approved by me. If player X does not play in Y country then that cannot be used against him. And if a player plays very less compared to another in a specific country, and has an inflated average that should not be some thing of a credit too.

For example if Lara had an average of 55 in Lanka (just an example without real stats) and a player played 3 innings in Lanka with teo now outs and managed an average of 60 it should not be used to prove a crap player>Lara.

These are just some of the easy, short cuts used to prove some thing.

Use your brains more and show some more concrete stats which will make things tough yet interesting. I have not gone through the thread in detail but this is the first general input I would like to give.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Really like the thread but a few ways of proving things is not approved by me. If player X does not play in Y country then that cannot be used against him. And if a player plays very less compared to another in a specific country, and has an inflated average that should not be some thing of a credit too.

For example if Lara had an average of 55 in Lanka (just an example without real stats) and a player played 3 innings in Lanka with teo now outs and managed an average of 60 it should not be used to prove a crap player>Lara.

These are just some of the easy, short cuts used to prove some thing.

Use your brains more and show some more concrete stats which will make things tough yet interesting. I have not gone through the thread in detail but this is the first general input I would like to give.
Pratyush,

I am surprised that this comes from you and that I have to actually spell out that this is a tongue-in-cheek thread. It was started as a parody for the many on this forum who seem to think stats are the only way to prove anything in cricket or to comapare players or teams.

By taking it seriously and commenting on it in seriousness you have taken away the pleasure that it gave us to answer the "assignments'. Its like telling what one believed was a decent enough joke and being asked a serious question at the end of it.

I dont know if you read the thread starter. If not here it is :-

SJS said:
Hear, Hear, Hear : Lend me your Ear

SJS's Stats Factory

Providing Flexible Stats for the Inflexible Mind

Statsistics to fit all opinions !
Line up here for your turn !
Read on for more details !

I am offering a unique new service here.

Here is how it works ?

Step 1. Decide which player you hate ? (say Ponting) or which player you love ? (say Afridi)

Step 2. Decide what you want to prove ?
- He is the best in the world (or worse than the worst).
- He is a great player of spin (or cant tell leg break from leg glance)
- He is a destroyer of fast bowling (or has the runs the moment he hears the words chin and music spoken without a gap between them)
- He is the greatest fielder of all time (or he is to Ganguly as Ganguly is to Jonty Rhodes)

Step 3. Contact the undersigned.

Step 4. I will provide you with statistics that will prove whatever you want me to prove.

Why I am the best ?

I know there are others here who do the same but, there is a difference. They have fixed opinions. They are biased. They lack objectivity. Once they decide Ponting is cra* they just stick to that and are incapable of changing that.

I am unbiased.

I can prove, with stats, that Ponting is the greatest AND/OR at the same time that he is is to Walsh as Walsh is Bradman !!

I am totally objective and have no fixed opinions whatsoever. Only flexible statistics !!

Come and get your favourite heroes and villains put in their places with statistics that just cant be disputed.......... except by myself with another set of equally undisputable statistics :sleep:
And as for "Cool" guys getting HOT under the collar . :whistling :whistling :whistling

Last edited:

Beleg

International Regular
Prove that Jahangir Khan was a better shooter than Majid Khan. ;) The required stats are there for the discerning.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
Pratyush,

I am surprised that this comes from you and that I have to actually spell out that this is a tongue-in-cheek thread. It was started as a parody for the many on this forum who seem to think stats are the only way to prove anything in cricket or to comapare players or teams.
I know SJS :). The thing is it is tongue in cheek and I admire it for the same reason. But why not prove the tongue in cheek things which are not true in reality with stuff which looks more real.

Like if player A didnt play in a specific country(many players havent played in specific countries specially those from the past) it does not make the proof that believable.

Bring up a proof with more believable stats which superficially make the arguement look to have much more weight - that is what I was saying.

I like the thread and will try to do some players the way I am saying. I am surprised you are surprised with my observation.

Cheers.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
SJS said:
The boss is busy making sure the airlines around Asia remain in black and the head of the staff is resting after a strenuous tour of India with the Aus Under 19's. Please give us some time :)
Who are you calling "boss", boss?

Sorry, Sean, I've got a busy week with university - it takes a lot of effort to fail. I'll try and get onto it next week.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Jamee999 said:
Ian Harvey a better batsman than Bradman.
This one is easy. Any batsman worth his salt would tell you that havng to bat in the hustle and bustle of One Day cricket is tougher than having to play the lazy old 5 day game. And the fact that Donald Bradman was never able to play a ODI in his career, compared to Harvey who has played so many, should conclusively prove that Harvey indeed is the better batsman of the two.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
honestbharani said:
This one is easy. Any batsman worth his salt would tell you that havng to bat in the hustle and bustle of One Day cricket is tougher than having to play the lazy old 5 day game. And the fact that Donald Bradman was never able to play a ODI in his career, compared to Harvey who has played so many, should conclusively prove that Harvey indeed is the better batsman of the two.
Well done, HB. And didn't even have to bring up Harvey's far better "Hundreds per Twenty20" ratio, which Bradman was never able to do.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
Who are you calling "boss", boss?

Sorry, Sean, I've got a busy week with university - it takes a lot of effort to fail. I'll try and get onto it next week.
Looks like one of our executives is trying to take over the management :-O

By the way, I really regret not having known about your tour to India. I would have loved to come to one of the games and met you too. Delhi would have been ideal since I was born and brought up in that city, played my twenty years of cricket before leaving for career reasons, never to play the game again (twenty years ago) - the greatest and perhaps the only significant regret of my life.

It would have been fun.

Maybe when you come next with the seniors :)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
SJS said:
Looks like one of our executives is trying to take over the management :-O

By the way, I really regret not having known about your tour to India. I would have loved to come to one of the games and met you too. Delhi would have been ideal since I was born and brought up in that city, played my twenty years of cricket before leaving for career reasons, never to play the game again (twenty years ago) - the greatest and perhaps the only significant regret of my life.

It would have been fun.

Maybe when you come next with the seniors :)
Don't regret "not having known" about the tour, not your fault in the slightest.

Mind you, I'm not sure where you were at the time, but when you posted that you would have loved to have come to Delhi to see the game, it was actually before we played in Delhi...

Thanks very much, though, boss. Your kind words (and everyone else's) were, and still are, much appreciated.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
Don't regret "not having known" about the tour, not your fault in the slightest.

Mind you, I'm not sure where you were at the time, but when you posted that you would have loved to have come to Delhi to see the game, it was actually before we played in Delhi...

Thanks very much, though, boss. Your kind words (and everyone else's) were, and still are, much appreciated.
I was in the US by the time i realised. It was too late but if I had known earlier, i might have slightly altered my plans.

By the way, where are you in Australia ? I should be there by end October on work.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
SJS said:
I was in the US by the time i realised. It was too late but if I had known earlier, i might have slightly altered my plans.

By the way, where are you in Australia ? I should be there by end October on work.
Melbourne (Vic-toria ;) )

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Son Of Coco said:
Richard Hadlee - The Great New Zealand Disappointment

Much has been made of his prowess with the ball, however there are some alarming statistics that counter the many claims of brilliance. For example:

Did you know that in his first 3 full test matches Richard Hadlee averaged 119.66 runs per wicket? That's right! In an alarming 3.48837% of all the matches he played in his career he averaged greater than 115 runs per wicket. If we take the 3.48837% and call it the 'Golden Years', it's fair to suggest that anything lying outside this period must indeed be treated as an anomaly, and therefore struck from the record. In stats terms we'll refer to the other 96.5 odd percent of his career as 'extreme variables' - lying outside the reasonable area of expectancy given the results in these three Tests and therefore struck from the record.

Hadlee was a one trick pony, and I implore you not to let the fact that he performed the trick 431 times at an average of 22.29 fool you into thinking otherwise! In his fifth last test he took 2/132...and as the old saying goes - "You're only as good as your fifth last test!".

That makes Hadlee as good as someone who took 2 wickets at an average of 66! Geoffrey Boycott has a test bowling average of 54.57; Mark Taylor - 26.00; Allan Border 39.10.

Read it and weep Richard Hadlee...you were a disgrace to the art of bowling!

Over to you SJS... :D
very good !....I was naive to think otherwise

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You should let us know about such stuff, Vic. Did u guys play any game at Chennai? If so, I could have come down to meet you. The stadium is 5 mins. walk from my house.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
SJS, you're coming to Australia !!!
Yes. I have to appoint distributors for Asia Pacific. I will be in Melbourne for sure, probably Sydney as well. Not sure yet if I will go to Newzealand this trip.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
SJS, you're coming to Australia !!!
How many of the CW guys are in and around Melbourne ? How about a get together. It could be dinner but a lunch on or close to a cricket ground would be great. An opportunity to knock a few balls around in addition on Australian soil would make my year. :)

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, I'm in Sydney. Not too sure who else lives in Sydney actually. When will you know the exact details of your trip etc ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
Well, I'm in Sydney. Not too sure who else lives in Sydney actually. When will you know the exact details of your trip etc ?
Its not fixed since I need to get a visa. I cant apply for it right now since I am going in two days to China. So I will come back from China and then apply for Visa and leave immediately as I get it. Thus end Oct is a good guess.

Its very likely that I will be in Sydney as well. One company I need to see is there. They may agree to come to Melbourne so as to avoid my travelling to two cities but lets see. If I have to decise in their favour, I will need to go and see their set up (offices etc) anyway.

Dydl

International Debutant
burkey_1988 said:
I live in Sydney.