• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hashim Amla- the most misleading odi stats ever

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is there much footage around of that knock Bevan played for the ROW vs an Asian XI or whatever it was, when he went ****ing beserk and made a massive ton?
I've seen it on YT but not sure if still there. He made 185* against a genuine best Asian XI attack (Wasim Akram, Vaas, Muralitharan, Kumble). And this was more in the "250 is a good score" era.

Don't know why the dumbass did it in a game like that instead of for Australia

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Bevan very good against the short ball btw. Much better than most subcontinent batsman. Especially Sanga.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Geez, just watched the full footage. Why the hell wasn't that four called in that Asia vs RoW game? And why didn't Caddick slide his bat?

Also, what's incredible is how soft Bevan's hands were for much of that innings. Took Murali for a heap of runs through the slips region by running the ball off the face of the bat. Delightful batting and we don't see enough of it these days with those monster bats that modern blokes wield.

Last edited:

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Bevan's 185 was a fine example of his ability to play such innings when on song. Amazing innings, saw it live.

Though his average of 53 is a bit misleading,his strike rate of 74 hardly indicates how good he was. Probably the best planner of a chase (along with Virat) there ever was.

h_hurricane

Good reference to the older, better hurricane, who no longer posts here.

h_hurricane is woeful. Down there with sunilz as one of the spuddier newish Indian posters. And it's a crack field.
I will ignore the rest of your post, but really curious to know how you rate new posters here as spuds ? If it is based on the join date on this forum, it is a hilarious way to look at it.

I for one have been watching cricket since 3 decades, old enough to have seen Richards, Marshall,Imran live. Too bad that I did not know the existence of this forum until 2018. We should have been long term friends :)

stephen

Bevan's 185 was a fine example of his ability to play such innings when on song. Amazing innings, saw it live.

Though his average of 53 is a bit misleading,his strike rate of 74 hardly indicates how good he was. Probably the best planner of a chase (along with Virat) there ever was.
His strike rate is only so low because he would pace his innings in chases to get there safely. His first innings strike rate was 80, which is higher than Mark Waugh's and he was considered a dasher back in the day.

h_hurricane

His strike rate is only so low because he would pace his innings in chases to get there safely. His first innings strike rate was 80, which is higher than Mark Waugh's and he was considered a dasher back in the day.
Yes, agree with this. My point was that he was better than what his strike rate suggested.

stephen

Geez, looking over Bevan's test stats. The guy gunned it vs Pakistan and the West Indies, who had the two best pace attacks outside Australia and possibly South Africa. Would walk in as captain of the current test side.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

It's misleading because he was averaging 60 for a large portion of his career before a late slide in form. If anything he deserved a higher average than 53. (You could say this about a lot of though, that a late career slump hurts their average)

I will ignore the rest of your post, but really curious to know how you rate new posters here as spuds ? If it is based on the join date on this forum, it is a hilarious way to look at it.

I for one have been watching cricket since 3 decades, old enough to have seen Richards, Marshall,Imran live. Too bad that I did not know the existence of this forum until 2018. We should have been long term friends :)
Well tbh a huge proportion of the new Indian posters this season actually have been woeful. Nothing to do with judging based on join dates. You should consider it a compliment that you stand out as not bad at all.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Here is a comparison of MoS awards won by Dhoni and his only plausible rival, Gilchrist:

MS Dhoni
AwardMatRunsHSBat Av100
player of the series7346183*115.331
Sri Lanka in India ODI Series, 2005/06
player of the series212791*1270
India in Bangladesh ODI Series, 2007
player of the series51937638.60
India in Sri Lanka ODI Series, 2008
player of the series418295910
India in West Indies ODI Series, 2009
player of the series523678*78.660
NatWest Series [India in England], 2011
player of the series521287*-0
England in India ODI Series, 2011/12
player of the series319387*1930
India in Australia ODI Series, 2018/19
Adam Gilchrist
AwardMatRunsHSBat Av100
player of the series52317746.20
Aiwa Cup (Australia, India, Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka), 1999
player of the series849817262.251
VB Series (Australia, India, Zimbabwe in Australia), 2003/04
player of the series3180103601

This will be a good time to admit you were wrong.
Why are Dhoni and Gilchrist rivals?

Both play vastly different roles with the bat. There's no reason an ATG side can't feature both.

stephen

Wicket Keeper ODI XI:

De Kock
Gilchrist+
Sangakkara
Bairstow
De Villiers
Buttler
Dhoni (3) (c)
Wade (5)
Boucher (4)
Taibu (2)
Thomas (1)

Dendarii

International Debutant
Wicket Keeper ODI XI:

De Kock
Gilchrist+
Sangakkara
Bairstow
De Villiers
Buttler
Dhoni (3) (c)
Wade (5)
Boucher (4)
Taibu (2)
Thomas (1)
Andrew Hall kept for South Africa in one ODI. I don't know how much he kept in domestic cricket (Cricinfo shows one stumping in List A matches) as he was usually picked as a bowler/allrounder, but from what I remember he was regarded as a genuine keeping option and not just someone who strapped on the pads in an emergency.

Last edited:

MrPrez

International Debutant
Andrew Hall kept for South Africa in one ODI. I don't know how much he kept in domestic cricket (Cricinfo shows one stumping in List A matches) as he was usually picked as a bowler/allrounder, but from what I remember he was regarded as a genuine keeping option and not just someone who strapped on the pads in an emergency.
Hall is one of the best-balanced allrounders in the history of the game.

1. He could bat, bowl, field, and keep.

2. It was frighteningly difficult to decide whether he was a batting or bowling all-rounder due to how similar his ability was in these fields. I recall some ex-pro calling him the truest all-rounder in world cricket for this very reason.

Incredibly underrated player, imo. We could certainly do with him now.