• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hashim Amla- the most misleading odi stats ever

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If he played today he'd take 19 against the current Australian lineup in one innings

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dhoni has always done decently in Australia hasnt he? He wasn't a great batsman outside the subcontinent in test cricket but people often say the same for his ODI batting which has always struck me as a bit odd, he's done well overseas in the format.
Decently, yes, greatly, no.

He's improved his stats a lot in this tour actually with three half centuries and an average of 196 for the series.

Even with this series he's averaging 46 at a strike rate of 72 in Australia against Australia. Before this series he was averaging 35 at 71 in Australia against Australia (I make that clarification to filter out the 2015 world cup and other neutral games, which don't actually help Dhoni's stats much - his superb series against Sri Lanka is mostly cancelled out by an awful world cup campaign).

So in a roundabout way, this last series where he was heavily criticised for being too crap, he's statistically plugged a hole in his record.

Ankitj, man of the series awards are much harder to achieve when your team mates are McGrath, Warne, Ponting, Symonds, Hussey and Hayden than when they are a past-it Tendulkar and a not-quite-there-yet Kohli.

Gilchrist hit two half centuries and a century in three world cup grand finals.

But then I don't think Dhoni is directly competing with Gilchrist. I think what matters more is who pairs them in the other spot/ role. Gilchrist+Bevan vs Dhoni+Jayasuriya/Waugh/Watson.

It's not as straight forward as Dhoni > Gilchrist or vice versa because you need to take into account conditions and the other players available.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dhoni is basically an ODI Bradman in Australia/ India against Sri Lanka. He's averaging 115 against Sri Lanka in Australia (7 matches) and 100 in India (18 matches). Hard to argue against him in those conditions.

Burgey

good from hurricane. i almost stood up to applause.
Good reference to the older, better hurricane, who no longer posts here.

h_hurricane is woeful. Down there with sunilz as one of the spuddier newish Indian posters. And it's a crack field.

Burgey

You obviously don't read anyone's.

But if you were to, I would recommend mine, as I am by far the most reasonable and erudite poster on this forum.

Daemon

h_hurricane is woeful. Down there with sunilz as one of the spuddier newish Indian posters. And it's a crack field.
your face is a crack field

cnerd123

likes this
You obviously don't read anyone's.

But if you were to, I would recommend mine, as I am by far the most reasonable and erudite poster on this forum.
waah waah allan border waah waah india suck waah waah [insert ***** meme here]

that's literally all of your posts. Get some new material old man.

sunilz

International Regular

Stop embarassing yourself oldman . Australian fan base consists of yourself and Ikki . Can't get any worse than that .

srbhkshk

International Captain
Dhoni would have been a lock in 2013, he had the advantage of having a much faster scoring rate compared to Bevan + being the keeper. Now it's sorta even - stevens between him and Gilly, and no neither De Kock nor Buttler are anywhere close to the level of these two for now.

Last edited: