• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harmison v Akhtar, Trescothick v Sehwag

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
luckyeddie said:
The Sehwag v Trescothick match-up is a no-brainer.

I would agree like everyone else that Sehwag is better than Trescothick but i dont think it is buy as a big margin as some people think and i would back treso too have a really good series

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
i agree with pothas, sehwag edges it.

but there isnt a lot between harmy and shoaib, shoiab certainly isnt better than harmy, not at this moment in time anyway.

Resha

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sehwag is a better player and he gets the scores, fo' shizzle...but sometimes he lacks consistency and I think Trescothick is pretty consistent. But I haven't watch Trescothick play much.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Even though he hasnt got a hundred yet i think that in this series Trescothick has proved himself a world class opening batsman

Majin

International Debutant
I'd Take Sehwag and Akhtar with both on top form, especially Akhtar firing at full pace.

greg

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
I disagree. Flintoff is one of the best slippers in the world actually, right up there with anyone else you would care to name. Trescothick is more in the Jayawardene/Langer sort of group.
Justin Langer? I assume that's a joke or you haven't watched many England matches in the last two years? Offhand I can recall Tres dropping one catch in that time, and snaring a great many VERY good ones, including many where he has to put up with a wicketkeeper flailing hopelessly in front of him 8-)

Flintoff is a brilliant second slipper, and I'm very happy to have both he and Trescothick in the England team :D

Tom Halsey

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
I disagree. Flintoff is one of the best slippers in the world actually, right up there with anyone else you would care to name. Trescothick is more in the Jayawardene/Langer sort of group.
Generally, I agree with you. Here, I couldn't disagree more.

Tres is one of the best slippers in World cricket at the moment (so is Flintoff).

As for the thread, Harmison and Sehwag (though the Trescothick v Sehwag one is a lot more close than people seem to be saying).

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Tom Halsey said:
though the Trescothick v Sehwag one is a lot more close than people seem to be saying
I don't think so. The difference between Tresco and Sehwag is Sehwag has scored in all places bar that series in NZ (where pretty much everyone struggled) and Bangladesh. He hasn't feasted on the minnows either, and he's succeeded against Warne and McGrath. The gap between Tresco and Sehwag is quite large IMO, although in ODIs, Tresco is better.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If we are taking tests, it would be Shoaib and Sehwag. I think Harmison is very close, but having watched Shoaib bowl really well in the Afro-Asian Cup, I am inclined to go with him.

cricket player

International Debutant
I dont see how you are comparing harsmison with Shoaib

Their is no comparison as far as I am concern Shoiab akhtar beats harmison by a large gap period.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Virender beats off Marcus :happy: though I think Tres doesn't get as much praise as he deserves (anyone seen Martyn's footwork?).

Shoaib and Stephen are very different bowlers, if I had to pick either one playing at their best on a wicket that suits,I'd go with GBH, he's pretty unplayable.

greg

International Debutant
honestbharani said:
If we are taking tests, it would be Shoaib and Sehwag. I think Harmison is very close, but having watched Shoaib bowl really well in the Afro-Asian Cup, I am inclined to go with him.
The Afro-Asian Cup is a ODI series as far as i am aware

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
cricket player said:
I dont see how you are comparing harsmison with Shoaib

Their is no comparison as far as I am concern Shoiab akhtar beats harmison by a large gap period.
Well, my impression of why we are comparing them is so that the person who started the thread could find as many people as possible to say exactly the sort of thing you just said, Bob.

no1_gangsta_786

U19 Cricketer
Shoaib akhter is easily faster than harmison and a better bowler and i say sehwag would beat trescothick purely on the basis that he can play well against all teams and not just minnows like trescothick.