• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D - Pakistan, West Indies, Zimbabwe, Ireland

Fusion

Global Moderator
Took me a while to log on and post a comment, it was the most disappointing day of cricket ever for me. First of all, congrats to Ireland for a thoroughly deserving win. They out-did Pakistan in every single category. Love their fan contingent as well. So full of enthusiasm and energy! I'm a fan of that team now and they have my respect.

What a tremendous low for Pakistan. Most Pakistani fans didn't expect the team to win the WC, or even get to the Final for that matter. However, most of us did expect them to qualify for the Super 8 stage. To lose to a minnow in the WC, no matter how talented, has to be the most embarrassing moment of Pakistan cricket history. Heads will roll for sure after this. Woolmer's contract will not be renewed (I doubt he wanted to return in the first place). Can't see Inzi hanging on to the captaincy; in all likelihood he's going to retire. Other administrative changes surely await. Pakistan cricket stands at a crossroads. Unless changes are made at a grass-root level, we will continue to hit new lows. We need to make sporting pitches at the domestic level. We need to reward players with sound techniques, not hero worship flat track bullies. Hell, the to-do list is far too long to cover right now and I don’t have the heart.

Lastly, to all the people here who gloated on Pakistan’s loss simply because they “dislike Pakistan cricket”, what outstanding class gentlemen! 8-)

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Well done, Ireland, on the greatest upset in the history of one-day cricket bar none.

Just had to come out of self-imposed exile to let everyone know that I'm totally and utterly ratarsed, and my liver still has a lot more work to do before the evening's out.

Slainte
Picked one hell of a day to make a comeback! Cheers, hope you stay.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lastly, to all the people here who gloated on Pakistan’s loss simply because they “dislike Pakistan cricket”, what outstanding class gentlemen! 8-)
Good call, that is poor form.

There are a few individuals in the Pakistan team that I'm not particularly a fan of, but that is the same for a number of other teams too and is absolutely no reason to wish a humiliating defeat on the team as a whole and its fans.

It's a shame that Pakistan are out, it's a big loss to the tournament. On a good day they are a spectacular team to watch.

Having said that I really enjoyed the match today, but because of how much it meant to Ireland and its supporters and the joy that they showed after the winning runs were scored rather than the fact that Pakistan were on the receiving end.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Well done, Ireland, on the greatest upset in the history of one-day cricket bar none.

Just had to come out of self-imposed exile to let everyone know that I'm totally and utterly ratarsed, and my liver still has a lot more work to do before the evening's out.

Slainte
hello! it's been a while! great to hear from you! are you back or is this a one time post?:)

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
I think Ireland can cause a major upset, they might beat Pakistan or WI and reach the super 8, would be awesome of they manage to do that.

So my prediction came true!!!

I'm happy that the better team won the match, Ireland can be expected to atleast put up a better display at super eight stage than Pakistan.Must be humilating for Inzamam to lose to a team that is not even a test playing nation.

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
well, we've got hope for another 6 days atleast :)

Unless the Men in blue find some way to lose to bermuda!!
No they will thrash Bermuda very badly, but its the match against Lanka that India need to win at all cost.I think it will be a thriller and will end in an Indian win

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
Interestingly Pakistan last match in 2003 WC was against Zimb, and Pak will be playing same opponent in their last match of 2007 WC!!

Pak will be down and will get nothing from from that match, on the other hand Zimb can progress to super eight by beating Pakistan.Hope its a good contest and Zimb wins in a thriller

Craig

World Traveller

Slainte
Welcome back, this place has been poorer without you. If this isn't a sign of a regularreturn then I'm glad you made that post.

Oh an I had a pint of Kilkenny today to celebrate Ireland's win.

Matt79

Global Moderator
What the hell happened?? Congrats to all the Irish fans here, but my sincere commiserations to the Pakistani fans - must be a gut-wrenching disappointment.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You have to question some of Pakistan's bowling really, I mean Sami was hooping it all over and the rest of the seamers were barely moving it. Contrary to what Woolmer thinks I don't think the toss made that much difference, whatever extra movement was there in the first innings (which I'm dubious of because of Pakistan's inability to utilise it anyway, so pitches look flatter when Pakistan bowl on them) would have to be weighed against the pressure of chasing a small total and batting in the dark under cloudy skies.

Majin

International Debutant
On a side note, what will Kamran 'Only Australia are better?' Abbasi say now?
He still says that Australia should have been the only team Pakistan couldn't beat. :laugh:

He also said that Inzi should retire, and that the three people he thinks are possible candidates for the captaincy are Younis Khan, Shoiab Malik and...Shahid Afridi. Which would be interesting, among other things.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Welcome back, this place has been poorer without you. If this isn't a sign of a regularreturn then I'm glad you made that post.

Oh an I had a pint of Kilkenny today to celebrate Ireland's win.
Good man.

Incidentally, anyone who ever gets the opportunity to visit Dublin should drop in at the Porterhouse - the best beers in Ireland by far.

Beleg

International Regular
cricinfo said:
In Multan, Inzamam-ul-Haq's home town, incensed youth held a protest rally, chanted slogans against Pakistan and demanded that police arrest the World Cup squad. The mob was heard chanting, "Death to Bob Woolmer , death to Inzamam, death to Nasim Ashraf - police should arrest them".

8-) 8-) :laugh:

FRAZ

International Captain

Slainte
Hi Sir !