• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B - India, Pakistan, South Africa, Sri Lanka

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That is different though. War time relations cannot be compared with normal times. But what I am referring to is the hatred and vitriol and alarmingly dangerous pronouncement of 'anti national' and 'treachery' that is seen on various mediums - media/new channels, not to mention FB/Twitter in both countries. Maybe 99 didn't have twitter so it wasn't as loud but the kind of stuff I see on a daily basis on social media today is unbelievable.
A good example, every time an Indian cricketer or commentator paid tribute to Misbah/Younis on twitter recently, almost all of them got called out for being 'traitors' and 'praising the enemy'

Last year when Afridi said in a Press conference in India during World T20 how much he was appreciated by the Indian crowd, he got called out in Pakistan for being disloyal. This is Afridi - the single most loved and popular cricketer in Pakistan

This is unprecedented. I have never seen Indian/Pakistani players/commentators facing that kind of backlash for praising each other. Not even in 1999.
I really think this is at least in part because of social media though. It used to be only Youtube comments back in the day, now that everyone's online it's appearing on facebook and twitter as well.

People have always been ****s, now they have a platform.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Don't think India will qualify for the semis. There are couple of issues. The batting isn't particularly great. Secondly, and more importantly, India would not have sufficient batting practice time in England to adjust to the conditions compared to other teams.

Niall

International Coach
Don't think India will qualify for the semis. There are couple of issues. The batting isn't particularly great. Secondly, and more importantly, India would not have sufficient batting practice time in England to adjust to the conditions compared to other teams.
Massive call that. Its a lovely group it really is. Pakistan have not won a limited over series of worth since well I don't know (I don't count the West Indies):unsure:

The loss of Sharjeel is absolutely massive, very one paced side. Then Lanka. They are in huge decline also, lost to Scotland the other day:wacko:

South Africa? Tough match, but India know how to beat them and as we seen the other day Saffers not exactly invincible.

Out of curiosity for the Indian posters, 50 over format only, who from Lanka and Pakistan who would you take?

Out of Pakistan, Khan would have been welcomed, but suspended, then I don't really see anyone who would majorly improve India. None of the bowlers you can point to and say yeah defo better than what India have" I suppose Malik and Wasim would be considered at best.

Lanka?, Angelo obviously and maybe one of their hitters, but nobody really sticks out bar that.

I am not happy with how dull the Indian squad is, but its still pretty elite.

India probably lose all 3 games now:huh:

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
India and South Africa have the 7th and 8th ranked teams in their group. If they don't qualify, they have only themselves to blame.

smash84

The Tiger King
India and South Africa have the 7th and 8th ranked teams in their group. If they don't qualify, they have only themselves to blame.
This, I can't see how India and SA could lose to Pak and SL. Both are absolute ****e in this format. Well, i can see SA bottling up a tense situation but India should fancy an easy qualification

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Niall, currently Sri Lanka looks a far weaker side than Pakistan. It's a tough one though as Sri Lanka has been the better odi side over the past decade.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Niall, currently Sri Lanka looks a far weaker side than Pakistan. It's a tough one though as Sri Lanka has been the better odi side over the past decade.
Not entirely true. There are only two teams LO cricket I would consider Pakistan to be comfortably better than - and that's West Indies and Sri Lanka
Pakistan beat them in Sri Lanka the last time they met. Also have a series win against them in 2013, having lost in 2014.

Based on results since World Cup 2015, this is how I rate the ODI teams

Tier 1:
Australia, India, South Africa

Tier 2:
New Zealand, England

Tier 3
Bangladesh

Tier 4
Pakistan

Tier 5
Sri Lanka, West Indies

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I wont write any team off coz inspite of everyone saying we will get flat tracks, this being England and the rain always hanging about the clouds, there is always a chance for a bowling attack to run through the opposition batting. Both Pak and SL have decent enough bowling attacks to inflict that on India and/or RSA.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
This is a mediocre Indian team, especially from batting point of view.

There's a lack of a good middle order and lower order, to go with ordinary form and confidence of basically all the batsmen. So I see this batting lineup fail (and especially if conditions are somewhat aiding the bowlers)

There's just not a good feel about the lineup at all. If they lose the 1st match, I see this team possibly lose all three.

There's no a single hitter who can truly be relied upon if its a high scoring game (England in contrast have several guys who can reliably bat at 150+ SR) and on the contrary, if the conditions are favouring the bowlers, there's only one or two guys who can sort of cope with swing. Either way this line up is probably ****ed.