• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greg Chappell Today

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
He should organise a tour or become an afrer dinner speakerl ike some cricketers do.

I'm sure he'll have plenty of stories to tell.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Not really feeling either extreme here. If a non-rich journalist or an author, for example, that I enjoyed reading for years was hard up to the extent of asking for donations, I’d throw him a small contribution out of sentimental value even if they were upper middle class before and not do a wallet police audit on them.

That’s not true for me in this case because I was born almost a decade after his career ended but there must be some in the older crowd who want to thank him for the memories. I must say there's a some dark irony though that the man who was trying to push Laxman, Dravid and Tendulkar to retirement in their early 30s for no reason is at the center of this.

I have a fair bit of sympathy in this case because I think he played for a while before the boom of cricket salaries in Australia and didn’t make a lifetime income of it despite Cricket Australia making millions off the team in which was either the best or second best player (after Lillee).

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Bro must have had some kind of screw up. He had the Greg Chappell cricket centre and some high profile jobs in coaching/management.

Not sure he was ever "rich" compared to modern players though. Must be some bitter old cricketers watching on at flops like Cam Green and Sam Curran getting paid more for a tournament than they did in their entire careers

Anyway wish him the best
Player X was the most clear example of this...it really broke him, to the point he 'allegedly' fixed matches and exerted power to gain the financial power he so badly craved, and that he would've had if he'd been born 10 years later + would've been an IPL star

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Player X was the most clear example of this...it really broke him, to the point he 'allegedly' fixed matches and exerted power to gain the financial power he so badly craved, and that he would've had if he'd been born 10 years later + would've been an IPL star
Who is this player X?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also he's literally doing fine as stated in the article. A GoFundMe if he needed money for cancer treatment or something is one thing, the guy just doesn't like being middle class anymore

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
He should organise a tour or become an afrer dinner speakerl ike some cricketers do.

I'm sure he'll have plenty of stories to tell.
The sports talk tour seems to be dominated by a certain type. Outspoken, charismatic (to many), egotistical, perceived as larrikins and rarely let the truth interfere with a good story. Think Merv Hughes and Jeff Thomson and former AFL players such as Warwick Capper.

I'm not sure Creg Chappell fits the bill though, personally, I'd find him more interesting.

Last edited: