• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greg Chappell Today

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
Steve Waugh did fine

How much did Aussie cricketers earn in the early 80s? I heard somewhere they began getting corporates and sponsor in the mid 80s so they were better paid than manual, blue collar workers

I do wish Greg all the best
A lot of Aussie cricketers still had jobs in early 80's. Greg Chappell worked at an insurance company and this was his reason he gave for not touring. He was given all summer off work so had to spend some time represenrng the company

Jumno

U19 Captain
A lot of Aussie cricketers still had jobs in early 80's. Greg Chappell worked at an insurance company and this was his reason he gave for not touring. He was given all summer off work so had to spend some time represenrng the company
I read somewhere Steve waugh brought a big house in the 80s and he did fine

Still an insurance company is better than working at a factory

shortpitched713

International Captain
yeah my left shoulder wasn't the same for a year after cleaning tubs with a high pressure water gun for a few months in a meat factory
It's a wonder you were trusted not to burn down the facility, with that sort of equipment at your disposal.

Good on ya, mate! :thumbsup:

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
The following quote from Chappell in a related article explains his situation:

"Unfortunately I had a business setback a few years ago. I don't need to go into details about it, but the opportunity cost went with that situation, the years of sorting out the finances just meant that not only did I not have much coming in, but there was nothing to invest,"

Jumno

U19 Captain
He did have some high profile jobs, I'll never earn over USD £120k, he earnt £175k per year in one job

I was working minimum wage jobs for long while I studied for two degrees

Through hard work, good decisions, effort I'm doing well, not investments, sound decision making and looking to get a mortgage in a year

I'm only in my early 30s and doing amazing

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
He did have some high profile jobs, I'll never earn over USD £120k, he earnt £175k per year in one job

I was working minimum wage jobs for long while I studied for two degrees

Through hard work, good decisions, effort I'm doing well, not investments, sound decision making and looking to get a mortgage in a year

I'm only in my early 30s and doing amazing
Yeah lets not run around banging on about poor pay back in the 80s when GC has been on the cricket administration payroll for the past 20 odd years plus his cricket center

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah lets not run around banging on about poor pay back in the 80s when GC has been on the cricket administration payroll for the past 20 odd years plus his cricket center
The cricket centre is a sports store and he had another massive one on the Gold Coast

Lost plenty on them

No secret that he did his arse on investments and would have been wiser to just trade off his name

jcas0167

International Debutant
What I don't get is at 75 he'd be on a nice married couple pension (so not dire situation), unless he has too many assets to qualify in which case he definitely doesn't need a go fund me.

However, I think it's more about the difference in wealth between cricketers now and back then and this is just trying to give him something to make his life comfortable. As I understand it the go fund me is linked to the testimonial dinner so he's just getting a testimonial 39 years later than he should have (nearly every retired cricket great had a final testimonial back then, but he didn't)
Yeah, county players used to get a testimonial season after 10 seasons. Hadlee and Border had televised testimonial matches. How good were those. Alfie Langer and Paul Vautin played in the Border one and Vautin pulled off a great one handed catch.