• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greg Chappell Today

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
When he retired Greg Chappell turned down the opportunity to have a testimonial. However, following financial difficulties, he now has a GoFundMe page organised and a planned Testimonial dinner by former teammates.
Chappell now rents his home in Adelaide and his recent initiatives include the Greg Chappell Foundation which, among other things, provides funds to provide shelter, care, education and training for young homeless people. Chappell ensured that every cent raised by the Foundation went to these causes.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So he has to rent, so do I?

Is this some kind of "I've been rich my whole life, I'm used to it, please don't make me experience living like the average joe" type thing?

I'd get it if he was on the streets or something

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bro must have had some kind of screw up. He had the Greg Chappell cricket centre and some high profile jobs in coaching/management.

Not sure he was ever "rich" compared to modern players though. Must be some bitter old cricketers watching on at flops like Cam Green and Sam Curran getting paid more for a tournament than they did in their entire careers

Anyway wish him the best

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So after actually reading the article I'm even more baffled

"Chappell, who rents in Adelaide said he is doing fine but not living a life of luxury or anything as a result of his cricketing career"

Like that is not go fund me worthy. Wants people in his own economic class or maybe even ones poorer than him to just give him cash to prop him back up to where he belongs

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Chappell now rents his home in Adelaide and his recent initiatives include the Greg Chappell Foundation which, among other things, provides funds to provide shelter, care, education and training for young homeless people. Chappell ensured that every cent raised by the Foundation went to these causes.
Huge respect for this. Regarding his financial struggles - **** happens, his closest people should support him and get him through this.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

"Chappell, who rents in Adelaide said he is doing fine but not living a life of luxury or anything as a result of his cricketing career"

Like that is not go fund me worthy. Wants people in his own economic class or maybe even ones poorer than him to just give him cash to prop him back up to where he belongs
If he's renting he's struggling. If he's renting as an old man that's brutal

karan_fromthestands

State Captain

That's what the article says. Do we know the whole story? May be he is running out of cash.

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
What I don't get is at 75 he'd be on a nice married couple pension (so not dire situation), unless he has too many assets to qualify in which case he definitely doesn't need a go fund me.

However, I think it's more about the difference in wealth between cricketers now and back then and this is just trying to give him something to make his life comfortable. As I understand it the go fund me is linked to the testimonial dinner so he's just getting a testimonial 39 years later than he should have (nearly every retired cricket great had a final testimonial back then, but he didn't)

Jumno

U19 Captain
I wish him the best if he is in financial difficulties, however he did have some high profile jobs, he should've paid off his mortgage

He should have a nice pension

Jumno

U19 Captain
Steve Waugh did fine

How much did Aussie cricketers earn in the early 80s? I heard somewhere they began getting corporates and sponsor in the mid 80s so they were better paid than manual, blue collar workers

I do wish Greg all the best