• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest individual performance ever

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Regardless of poor selections after Sherwin Campbell's dropping from the Test side in 2002; the West Indian selectors where perfectly justified to seek a replacement for Campbell.

The occasional flashes of brilliance displayed by Campbell had long disappeared into a sustained period of terrible form. Over two years and 17 Tests had passed since Campbell's last century. Offset only by a couple decent innings (82 at Lords, and dual half-centuries in Sydney). West Indies had two very promising young batsman in Hinds and Ganga ready for selection, and in hindsight, yes a poor move forcing them to open, but at the time you can understand why they passed on Campbell.
I couldn't. I was saying throughout 2001/02, and 2002/03, "WTF are they ignoring Campbell for?" It was patently obvious to me that Hinds and Ganga were being ruined by being repeatedly forced to open and I was always dead-set against it.

Campbell and Gayle should have opened together for a number of years.
Never any guarantee that Campbell would have produced one of his fine innings again. Went back to Barbados and produced a couple of decent seasons, but I don't think the selectors would ever have gone back to him.
Truth be told I've never truly examined Campbell's Barbados form post-axing (I will be doing sometime soon, for reasons that will become clear in a year or so). However, it should be noted that an injury in 2001, which kept him out of the series against South Africa, was the initial note on which he was excluded.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh I see. Still in the "inspiration" phase. Although I re-read Ralph Barker's beautiful pen portrait in Ten Great Bowlers again today and kept on thinking "how am I meant to improve on that?"

chris jones

Cricket Spectator
Anil kumbles ten wicket haul against Pak in test cricket.

I love watching that match anytime, it was a great performance from the legend AK.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Please explain?
In fact Mr Z you know the answer to that - how's your contribution coming along?
Oh I see. Still in the "inspiration" phase. Although I re-read Ralph Barker's beautiful pen portrait in Ten Great Bowlers again today and kept on thinking "how am I meant to improve on that?"
:laugh: at this.

Anyway don't worry I've thought that once or twice in the relatively few I've done so far. I just try to make the best of all Worlds I'm offered.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
If you believe what old timers like Bradman said, then I think you'd have to go with Stan McCabe's innings from the bodyline series as the best batting performance ever.

Lara's stuff from 1999 is the best modern-day batting I've ever seen.

I wish I had have seen Malcolm Marshall's performance at the SCG as it sounds like the ultimate fast bowling performance. Dennis Lillee's performance at the MCG during the centenary Test looked awesome from what I've seen of it.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
If you believe what old timers like Bradman said, then I think you'd have to go with Stan McCabe's innings from the bodyline series as the best batting performance ever.
The Don actually always maintained that, as great as McCabe's Bodyline innings was, his 232 at Trent Bridge in 1938 was even greater.