• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest ever sporting come backs

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Didn't Liverpool score like 3 in 8 minutes though?
Yes, that's impressiv,e but they then did sod-all else for the rest of the game, and had to rely on Milan missing a guilt-edged chance right at the end to even reach the luck of the penalties - they didn't even win outright.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
India v Australia at Kolkata where Dravid and Laxman bat for a lifetime (ok a whole day) to beat Australia after following on and trailing by 271 runs and looked a certain defeat considering Australia had won 16 on the trot then. Dodgy umpiring though when Australia batted.

Topped it off by seeing Slater, Langer, Ponting and Hayden bowl :laugh:

http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_dat...N_IND/SCORECARDS/AUS_IND_T2_11-15MAR2001.html

"The miracle of Istanbul" - LIVERPOOL CHAMPIONS

Pakistan v India - SHArjah 1986 - MIandad's last ball 6.

Pakistan v NZL WC 1992 semi-final match - INZI's innings

India v Germany (Hockey Men's Champions Trophy Perth 1985) - Down 5-0, Indians came back to draw 5-5.

FRance 2 England 1 (EURO2004)

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One of Bradman's team won the Ashes after being 2-0 down IIRC. Fairly impressive if you ask me.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Actually, there's an arguably even better one against England: West Germany coming back from 2-0 down to the world champions (as we then were) to win 3-2 in the 1970 World Cup quarter-final.

Those of you with weaker constitutions shouldn't watch. Linky.
Yeah, I generally rate the ones with 2 goals in stoppage time higher though - they're very rare. It basically requires scoring and going straight up the other end from the kick off and scoring again.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, I generally rate the ones with 2 goals in stoppage time higher though - they're very rare. It basically requires scoring and going straight up the other end from the kick off and scoring again.
Ha, ha! I see where you're going with this. Who's your club team, Thomas? I forget. :p

I guess you can make a case for it on a "victory from jaws of defeat" vibe, but England 1970>>>>>>>>>>England 2004 & the WC last 8 more important than a group game in the European Nations.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Ha, ha! I see where you're going with this. Who's your club team, Thomas? I forget. :p

I guess you can make a case for it on a "victory from jaws of defeat" vibe, but England 1970>>>>>>>>>>England 2004 & the WC last 8 more important than a group game in the European Nations.
Haha, yeah, maybe bias, but still, 2 goals in 3 (technically roughly 2:30 from when Sheringham's crossed the line) minutes > 3 goals in longer (no idea in what timespan the German goals came in, know it wasn't long, but was longer than 3 minutes).

Importance is a factor, too (hence why on the face of it you're probably right about 1970>2004) but if we ignore that and talk on pure brilliance of the comeback in question, 2004>1970 IMO. As I said, it does basically require scoring straight away from the kick off again.