• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest ever One Day Innings

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
That makes no sense. Wouldn't you just try anyway. Were there not paying spectators.

Lord's was full. The only saving grace was the fact that in those days television didn't dictate match schedules and the group match between Australia and West Indies was being played at the same time. The BBC wisely choose to cover the second half of this match so the Gavaskar plod was not seen live on TV in the UK.

Olwe

School Boy/Girl Captain
i still think Ali Browns 268 against Glamorgan, in 2002 is one of the best ever

which is also the wrold reccord, it won the match for surrey as Glamogan replaied with over 400, thanks to the bowling Hollioake with 5wkts

Biggest scores in English one-day cricket
496 for four Surrey v Gloucestershire, 2007
438 for five Surrey v Glamorgan, 2002
429 all out Glamorgan v Surrey, 2002
375 for four (40 overs) Surrey v Yorkshire, 1994
(http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/cricket/counties/article1723154.ece)
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/counties/2051476.stm) (the match review)
(with brown in a big inpact with the top two)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anyone know why the Indians didn't chase down the total. Was it a protest, match fixing or in their interests to lose due to points table. Can't think of any other reason.
I think that they deemed it was impossible to chase down, so they refused to do it.
That makes no sense. Wouldn't you just try anyway. Were there not paying spectators.
Gavaskar deemed it realistically impossible to chase down, and was also annoyed about something (which slips my mind right now) at that time, so played that innings.

It's not like they'd have had much of a chance had they tried, anyway.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Lord's was full. The only saving grace was the fact that in those days television didn't dictate match schedules and the group match between Australia and West Indies was being played at the same time. The BBC wisely choose to cover the second half of this match so the Gavaskar plod was not seen live on TV in the UK.
I didn't know that we missed the "pleasure" of seeing Sunil's innings - but the Australia match was v Pakistan, not WI. One point - it was only India's third ODI, so it might be the case that Sunil thought that a draw was possible.
Not the last time India did this either - in this ODI - http://www.cricketweb.net/statsspider/oneday/941.php - India needed 63 off 9 overs and with "stonewalling defence" (Wisden) scored only 16. Anyone know why as 7 an over with 5 wickets left is by no means impossible?

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I agree with the fellow who said Gibbs' 175 was full of mi**** boundaries etc. It's natural that many would regard it as one of the best considering how monumentous that run chase was. But if you watch replays of Gibbs' innings, it was choc-full of French cuts and edges that beat the keeper, not forgetting he was dropped by Nathan Bracken.

There's a few great innings that stick out in my mind...

*Dean Jones against New Zealand in the late 80s where he almost orchestrated one of the all-time best comebacks, only to go out and see Mike Whitney go out for a slog-shot when Australia needed 2 runs to win off the last over. Stupid Whitney ruined all his hard work! But yeah, revolutionary innings with inventage aggressive shots. He paced the innings beautifully and took calculater risks. Pretty much all the ingredients of a batsman.

*Michael Bevan against New Zealand in 2002 or so... he had to bat with Brett Lee and Andy Bichel? I think.... anyway brilliant innings! What I liked about was that Bevan had limitations. Herchille Gibbs didn't just have luck, he had freedom when he made 175. Gibbs didn't have to worry about playing risky shots because he was chasing such a huge total. Bevan was placed in the highest pressure situation.

-Lose and Australia's out of the VB series.
-Lose your wicket and Australia lose.
-Keep the strike as much as possible.
-Find twos as much as possible.
-Take small risks to keep in touch with run-rate etc.

What impressed me most about that innings was how often he found twos. Bevan was also lightning in between wickets. Just a champion... of all his comeback performances, that was his best.

- Big Viv's highest ODI score has gone down in folklore and deserves nomination.

-Sachin Tendulkar had incredible ODI centuries against Australia in 1998. IIRC, he made a century in nearly every game, demolishing McGrath and Warne... and in the one game where he went out he took a lot of wickets with the ball! Just an amazing series where Tendulkar ruled all!

Coming to think of it, those four guys would be my pick for the four best ODI batsmen ever! 1. Tendulkar, 2. Richards, 3. Bevan, 4. Jones

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I agree with the fellow who said Gibbs' 175 was full of mi**** boundaries etc. It's natural that many would regard it as one of the best considering how monumentous that run chase was. But if you watch replays of Gibbs' innings, it was choc-full of French cuts and edges that beat the keeper, not forgetting he was dropped by Nathan Bracken.

There's a few great innings that stick out in my mind...

*Dean Jones against New Zealand in the late 80s where he almost orchestrated one of the all-time best comebacks, only to go out and see Mike Whitney go out for a slog-shot when Australia needed 2 runs to win off the last over. Stupid Whitney ruined all his hard work! But yeah, revolutionary innings with inventage aggressive shots. He paced the innings beautifully and took calculater risks. Pretty much all the ingredients of a batsman.

*Michael Bevan against New Zealand in 2002 or so... he had to bat with Brett Lee and Andy Bichel? I think.... anyway brilliant innings! What I liked about was that Bevan had limitations. Herchille Gibbs didn't just have luck, he had freedom when he made 175. Gibbs didn't have to worry about playing risky shots because he was chasing such a huge total. Bevan was placed in the highest pressure situation.

-Lose and Australia's out of the VB series.
-Lose your wicket and Australia lose.
-Keep the strike as much as possible.
-Find twos as much as possible.
-Take small risks to keep in touch with run-rate etc.

What impressed me most about that innings was how often he found twos. Bevan was also lightning in between wickets. Just a champion... of all his comeback performances, that was his best.

- Big Viv's highest ODI score has gone down in folklore and deserves nomination.

-Sachin Tendulkar had incredible ODI centuries against Australia in 1998. IIRC, he made a century in nearly every game, demolishing McGrath and Warne... and in the one game where he went out he took a lot of wickets with the ball! Just an amazing series where Tendulkar ruled all!

Coming to think of it, those four guys would be my pick for the four best ODI batsmen ever! 1. Tendulkar, 2. Richards, 3. Bevan, 4. Jones
Great post.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
That M.Bevan innings was a great one.. he came to the crease at 53/4 within the next 20 balls aust. are reduced to 82/6 over 21. Bevan on 10* with a 164 still required for victory.

ttm

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I have highlights of the Jones innings vs NZ. It was pretty good, just a shame he was run out at the very end.

Another good one from Jones was the 3rd final against the West Indies in 1989. He was 24* from about 40 balls when it started raining. The match was reduced to 38 overs and he ended up 93* of 82 balls. His best shot was a flick of Marshall over midwicket for six. He broke his finger in the last over trying to charge Ambrose. Only batsman I ever saw charge Ambrose.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:dry:

(Apart from the fact that all 4 didn't really play the same ODI game)

pup11

International Coach
For me the kind most of the knocks Bevan played under every pressure scenario go down as the greatest Odi knocks ever, he might not have scored a 50 or 100 on every occasion but with the ease he used to control the innings in testing circumstances was truly legendary.

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
Surely..Gambhir's 97 and Dhoni's 91* in the same match in WC Final!!!
Yuvraj's 56* against Ozzies in QF!!

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
For me the kind most of the knocks Bevan played under every pressure scenario go down as the greatest Odi knocks ever, he might not have scored a 50 or 100 on every occasion but with the ease he used to control the innings in testing circumstances was truly legendary.
This