• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest cricketer post 1990

Select your greatest post 1990 cricketer

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
Overall, if we are being honest, it has to be Kallis, simply for his numbers and achievements. Pollock gets a notable mention also, but for some reason I wouldn't rank Pollock that high.

The best batsman has to be either Lara or Tendulkar, I usually favor Lara but Tendulkar is ending with such a strong flourish that I don't mind giving him the edge at times.

The best bowler is McGrath, the most consistent and well-rounded of the lost. Akram and Ambrose would be considered the best of the 90s though.

I find both Warne and Murali very overrated, definitely the greatest spinners but still a rung below McGrath.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Wk - Adam Gilchrist
Bat- Sachin Tendulkar
Pacer - Glenn McGrath
Spinner - Muthiah Muralitharan
AR - Jacques Kallis

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
Why does this make me feel that batsmen donated their wickets to McGrath when they became impatient?

Replace the word 'patience' with 'technique', and you are almost there...
It's the man's opinion and he's perfectly entitled to think what he wants

kingkallis

International Coach
As a kid, I grew up watching the likes of Sachin and Lara killing the bowling line ups, Waugh showing immense fighting spirit, 2 Ws, Donald, Ambrose & Walsh dissecting batting line ups for the 1st half of the 90s. Warne - Murali - Kumble showing us that even spinners can be match winners.

Second half of the 90s gave us the players like McGrath, Kallis, Ponting, Pollock, Flintoff, Hayden & Gilchrist. I also would love to mention Ntini here. A rare bowler who played for full 10 years without any major injury. He rarely missed games. What an athlete!

Anyways, if I have to pick 3 top cricketers of 90s, they would be 1) Kallis, 2) Warne, 3) Tendulkar

Jacques Kallis has been blamed for being selfish but let me tell you, no selfish cricketer can manage 21 man of the match awards ( Most by any player in history of cricket ) and 8 player of the series awards ( 2nd highest ). His contribution can not be ignored.

We all love the stroke play of Brian Lara ( had nobody but Chander in last phase of his career ) and Ricky Ponting who never had to worry about the weak top or middle order. They were never assigned the role to manage the innings.

From '98 to 2003, South Africa had only few good batsman like Kirsten, Gibbs and Cullinan. Kallis was given the role to anchor the South African batting line up and he did it so beautifully.

He managed the strike rate of 40 and that kicked him out of the league of Lara, Ponting and Tendulkar.

Now the Proteas has Smith, Amla, ABdV who are top performers and that allows Kallis to play freely. He is never going to be the aggressor like Sehwag, Gilchrist, Ponting but he surely is enjoying his batting now. ( Thanks to T20 WC 2007 as well )

Anyways, good to see people liking Kallis now. :D

Treat to watch : Brian Lara
Most loved one : Sachin Tendulkar
Charismatic player : Shane Warne
Complete cricketer : Jacques Kallis
Game changer : Adam Gilchrist
Match winner : Muttiah Muralitharan
Wasted talent : Herschelle Gibbs

So my Greatest Cricket post 90s is Jacques Kallis for his huge contribution with bat and ball to the South African side.

11,650 runs @ 56.82 + 269 wickets @ 31.95 + 163 catches can not be ignored!!!!!!!

Last edited:

kingkallis

International Coach
Ermmmmmmmmm, let me try to explain. I am not good @ explaining things though.

Lets take the example of Pak vs Australia @ Hobart where Langer and Gilchrist won the game from an almost impossible situation, hence the word game changer. I can give other such examples as well where Gilchrist magic ruined the dreams of the opposition.

Muralitharan was one of the main reason in almost every single Lankan win hence the match winner. ( 19 man of the match awards + 11 man of the series awards )

Blaze 18

Banned
Ankit wants us to consider both tests and ODIs, so here goes.

The three greatest cricketers post 1990 (in no order)

Brian Lara

Precious few sights in cricket are better than watching Brian Charles Lara at his best. As graceful as Sachin Tendulkar and as destructive as Sir Vivian Richards, he redefined the art of batsmanship at his zenith. No bowler could honestly claim to have had the upper hand against him; Glenn McGrath, Shane Warne, Muttiah Muralitharan all came second best (quite comfortably at that) in their duels with the Prince of Trinidad.

Glenn McGrath

One of the pillars of the all conquering Australian side, Glenn Mcgrath is arguably the greatest bowler of all-time. While the likes of Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis and Curtly Ambrose were more talented, no-one was as effective as Glenn McGrath against the very best. You could always count on McGrath to get the big names out in the big games.

Sachin Tendulkar

Is there anything left to be said about this man ?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Ankit wants us to consider both tests and ODIs, so here goes.

The three greatest cricketers post 1990 (in no order)

Brian Lara

Precious few sights in cricket are better than watching Brian Charles Lara at his best. As graceful as Sachin Tendulkar and as destructive as Sir Vivian Richards, he redefined the art of batsmanship at his zenith. No bowler could honestly claim to have had the upper hand against him; Glenn McGrath, Shane Warne, Muttiah Muralitharan all came second best (quite comfortably at that) in their duels with the Prince of Trinidad.

Glenn McGrath

One of the pillars of the all conquering Australian side, Glenn Mcgrath is arguably the greatest bowler of all-time. While the likes of Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis and Curtly Ambrose were more talented, no-one was as effective as Glenn McGrath against the very best. You could always count on McGrath to get the big names out in the big games.

Sachin Tendulkar

Is there anything left to be said about this man ?
No way. Not even close. McGrath, in particular, owned everyone he came up against. Bradman should consider himself lucky not to have faced him.

Hit Wicket

School Boy/Girl Captain
Voted for Tendulkar, but amongst him, McGrath and Gilchrist is very hard to separate.

Gilchrist, specially, has redefined the way the game is played. Not too many cricketers can lay claim to that, not even Bradman. The option of having a dud with the bat for a wicket keeper has simply been made history. Never again will an Alan Knott play a test match again, just because of this guy called Gilchrist.

Another qualification that I had was that the greatest cricketer has to be the greatest at least in one skill, or close to it. That automatically disqualifies Kallis for me.

In my mind I gave an 80/20 weight for tests/ODIs and Tendulkar just stands out in that. If it was only tests, perhaps I would have gone for Gilchrist. Or even McGrath for the way he kept on picking top order wickets at an alarming rate, even as the pitches around the world became flatter and flatter. I haven't checked stats guru, but he would surely be one of the few bowlers whose average got better as tracks got flatter.

Blaze 18

Banned
I may have exaggerated ever so slightly for the effect, but I stand by what I said. While McGrath did trouble him on occasion, Brian Lara had the better of the exchanges overall. Muralitharan and Warne - not even worth debating to be honest. He annihilated them like he did every other spinner.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Plumped for Kallis, largely because he was the closest thing to a perfect all-rounder.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Warne for me.

Not just because I love spin bowling.

Not just because he took so many wickets.

Not just because he was a matchwinner and game changer.

But because he did all of this and had that real X-factor. He was exciting to watch and you always got the feeling that something was going to happen whenever he was involved. Batsmen will come and go, but we had the absolute privilege of watching the sheik of tweak in our generation. We will be telling our grandkids about Warne, the same way that our grandparents told us about Bradman.

TumTum

Banned
I remind you all that "greatest" =/= "best". The 11 that have voted for Kallis should hang their heads in shame tbh.

Last edited: