• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Bowling performances ever

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
these are the 5 best bowling figures (match figures) in the history of cricket) i was wondering if anyone knows of any better than these.

1 A. Rimmer 20/16 (7th grade v Cathedral Grammar School at Christchurch 1925-26)

2 W. Doig 20/21 (Minor Match at Perth 1935-36)

3 I.H.S Balfour 20/23 (Stanford School v Combined School X1 at Standford in 1948)

4 C.Bashford 20/24 (Reynards Road Methodists v St Augustine's Church at Coburg in 1903-04)

5 Y.S Ramswami 20/31 (Marimallappa High School v Bangalore Wesleyan High School at bangalore in 1932-33)

for my own personal records i want to know if there are any better than this, if possible a reference would be good.

Top_Cat

Well I don't know about those ones but the best I've seen was Glenn McGrath's 8/38 at Lords in 1997. Never have I seen a bowler just dominate a strong opposition in that manner.

Bazza

International 12th Man
I don't know what standard these figures were recorded at - looks like school and amateur matches mostly. To be honest whilst it's an excellent achievement, there is no standard to measure them by, hence they don't really count for anything.

Laker's 19-90 will never be surpassed, in fact nobody has taken more than 16 wickets since it was done, and nobody else has ever taken more than 17 wickets in a match.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Devon Malcolm's "Ill knock your effing head off" spell in 1994 against SA was one of the reasons I first got interested in cricket. It was an incredibly hostile spell..

Top_Cat

Ambrose's spell of 7/25 at the WACA in 1993 was one of the most hostile spells of fast bowling I have seen.
Same here. As I said, the other one was just for starters. Ambrose destroyed many batting line-ups in his time.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Because he was one of the all time greats. 11-84 ain't too shabby.

Meanwhile, I can't help but notice that even in 1994, Caddick got 6-fer in the second innings, and nowt in the first. He hasn't changed a bit! :rolleyes:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
His stats make for interesting reading, that's for sure:

If England Bowl first - his average is 40.71, and if they bat first it's 33.23 (in the first innings)

In opponents' second innings he averages 22.88 in the 3rd innnings and 17.55 in the 4th Innings(!)

Overall it's 37.06 first innings and 20.81 second innings.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
R_Powell_fan said:
How about this:

Ambrose 12.4 overs 24 runs for 0 wkts.... :(

5.2 overs later..................

Ambrose 7wkts - 25runs.................only run being a close inside edge by Damien Martyn.........
Greatest Test bowling spell ......
Interisting looking at that match...

So Langer has opened before, but scores of 10 and 1 probably ment that he didn't open again for a while.

Steve Waugh at 3...again a poorish game, now we know why he bats at 5 :)

Alan Border with a pair...a 1st baller and a 2 baller...so he only lasted 3 balls in the match!

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Rik said:
Interisting looking at that match...

This was 1993 and WI were still 2 good years away from being beaten in a test series since 1980..... they were on the decline but still had the firepower to come up with such performances.Actually Bishop bowled brilliantly in the second innings, but Ambrose takes the cake....its one of those performances that's been etched into my mind.

PY

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Devon Malcolm's "Ill knock your effing head off" spell in 1994 ...........It was an incredibly hostile spell..
agreed, i was only 9 and it was almost scary to see someone look like he wanted to kill someone with a cricket ball. quality stuff which ive not seen reproduced

Rich2001

International Captain
broncoman said:
these are the 5 best bowling figures (match figures) in the history of cricket) i was wondering if anyone knows of any better than these.

1 A. Rimmer 20/16 (7th grade v Cathedral Grammar School at Christchurch 1925-26)

2 W. Doig 20/21 (Minor Match at Perth 1935-36)

3 I.H.S Balfour 20/23 (Stanford School v Combined School X1 at Standford in 1948)

4 C.Bashford 20/24 (Reynards Road Methodists v St Augustine's Church at Coburg in 1903-04)

5 Y.S Ramswami 20/31 (Marimallappa High School v Bangalore Wesleyan High School at bangalore in 1932-33)

for my own personal records i want to know if there are any better than this, if possible a reference would be good.
What you have to remember is all of these figures were recorded way back when pitches weren't covered etc so bowlers got massive amounts of assisstants from the pitch.

Top_Cat

So Langer has opened before, but scores of 10 and 1 probably ment that he didn't open again for a while.
He was intended as a fill-in opener for Mark Taylor anyway. Plus he was given out caught off his shoulder in the first innings (NO idea how the umpy missed THAT one). A bit unlucky and even unluckier to be dropped a few matches later in NZ. They said he scored too slowly. You think he's stodgy now..........

The thing is, without his solid batting in the 4th Test against the WI, the match wouldn't have been as close as it was (WI won by 1 run). He actually gave the Aussies a chance. He also enjoyed (????) the most horrendous debut of any batsman I've ever seen in Test cricket. He was hit so many times, Inside Edge had a two page spread on where he'd been hit in that Test; He was hit on the back of the helmet 4th ball of his first innings and was hit in the stomach, shoulders, thighs, ribs etc. a total of 30 times I think...........yeeeeeouch. Nasty first Test, eh?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Re: Re: Greatest Bowling performances ever

Rich2001 said:
What you have to remember is all of these figures were recorded way back when pitches weren't covered etc so bowlers got massive amounts of assisstants from the pitch.
I don't know that many school pitches that are covered now, let alone 70 years ago!