• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Grand Slam Draft Tournament

ataraxia

International Coach
Just to clarify, if you win the toss, you have two options. You can either choose to pick first, in which case your opponent gets to decide the draft parameters & whether or not Bradman is in play. Or you can let the other drafter pick first & choose for yourself the draft parameters & decide whether you're cool with Bradman. No-one can start drafting until this has been decided by both parties. I imagine no-one will want Bradman to be available anyway as it pretty much guarantees your opponent will have first dibs on him in most scenarios, so perhaps it might be wise to just outlaw Braddles completely.
Ok thanks, must have misread it.

ataraxia

International Coach
Ok, so hear me out. This one's a bit of a hair-brained scheme, but it could potentially be a fun draft-style "tournament" which operates in a unique way. Essentially the premise of the draft is to resemble a real-life knockout tournament. Where 8, or even 16, drafters compete against one another in one-on-one style duels until a champion emerges. In a nutshell, it basically works the same way as a Grand Slam tennis tournament. I'm kind of making this up on the fly, but some general rules would be as follows...

- Each drafter is entered into the tournament bracket & competes in one-on-one mini drafts against their opponent. These mini drafts are exclusive to the two players involved, & will run simultaneously with the other matchups for the round.

- Prior to each round, there will be a virtual coin toss. The winner of the toss has the choice of picking first in the draft, or choosing to set the parameters for the draft (Eg: "1948 Ashes players only", or "10 Tests or less"). The coin-toss winner must also stipulate whether Bradman is available or not.

- Players are then free to pick. 8 hour time limits apply. If a drafter times out, their opponent may continue to make selections every eight hours. Drafters which have timed-out are permitted to make "catch up" picks when they can. If a drafter times out four times in succession (48 hours) they will forfeit the round. Also, cricketers may be selected numerous times by different drafters in the same round, but cannot (obviously) be selected twice in an individual duel.

- Once each mini-draft for the round has been completed, we'll go to a vote. Rather than creating numerous threads for this, we can just post our votes in this thread, leaving the vote open for a period of a few days. The winner of each battle will progress to the next round & square off against their next opponent.

Anyone keen to give this a go? Will need either 8 or 16 players to make it work. I won't be competing, but rather administrating. Alternatively, the same concept can be adapted if we get somewhere between 8 & 16 drafters (or even more) where we split drafters off into groups & go with a group/knockout style comp. Keen for anyone to offer insight on how to improve the tournament, too.

Hope to lure the cream of the CW drafting crop :)
Thought that applied to either way rather than just latter way. Thanks for clarifying.

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe as the rounds progress the unavailable players increase?
Don't mind this idea. Anyone have some thoughts on this suggestion?

Edit: Might be tricky thing to keep track of though to be honest if we're allowing players to be available for selection in each individual battle, which means theoretically they might get selected numerous times per round. If we factor this suggestion into the rules then it might be best to make previously selected players unavailable after the conclusion of each round. Hope what I'm saying makes sense.

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Any player picked in more than one group is banned for future rounds?

I'm in ftr.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Any player picked in more than one group is banned for future rounds?
This also seems like a good idea. I feel otherwise we may see some cases where people look to pick really similar teams each time. At least if previously drafted cricketers get phased out it will force people to think on their feet.

Confirmed:

BoyBrumby
Howe_zat
honestbharani
Magrat Garlick
mr_mister
Milenko47
morgieb
JOJOXI
NUFAN
Marcuss

Ten so far, if SCC joins that's 11. Will look to keep pushing towards 16 entrants, if we don't get that many we'll have a think about what is the ideal tournament format.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
In.

Can same player be picked by 2 different drafters who are not in a match up against each other?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I reckon we'll get 16 if we wait long enough. Drafts normally fill up within a day or two but we never normally have to wait beyond that. There's definitely at least 16 regulars and semi regulars floating around if we give it a few more days

I can think of Teuton, TFO, Michael, AndrewB and Anil as more potentials

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon we'll get 16 if we wait long enough. Drafts normally fill up within a day or two but we never normally have to wait beyond that. There's definitely at least 16 regulars and semi regulars floating around if we give it a few more days

I can think of Teuton, TFO, Michael, AndrewB and Anil as more potentials
You can probably add Fred, RH & trundler to that list. Maybe AndyZ & KK too, though we haven't really heard from them lately.

I'm glad we've got a few of the regulars in for this, cause I'm really thinking it's gonna be fascinating seeing how the head-to-head battles will play out.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm officially in. Going by my draft resume, I will be looking to topple some of the front rowers. (Bad, bad analogy).

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby
Howe_zat
honestbharani
Magrat Garlick
mr_mister
Milenko47
morgieb
JOJOXI
NUFAN
Marcuss
Ankitj
AndrewB
SillyCowCorner1
Teuton

Almost there lads. That's 14 confirmed entrants as of now. Looking for two more, but even if we only get one more player I could always fill that last slot if necessary.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Is the idea that players in a mini-draft get alternate picks? It’d seem fairer (and quicker) to start with a single pick then have double picks after that.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Is the idea that players in a mini-draft get alternate picks? It’d seem fairer (and quicker) to start with a single pick then have double picks after that.
Yeah, that's how I originally imagined it. I guess I was thinking of tennis tournament a lot at the time when I made the OP, where the action goes back & forth like a rally. I suppose the great leveller was supposed to be, if you don't pick first, you still have a big amount of control in the fact that you can choose the parameters of the mini-draft.

May very well be fairer/quicker to take on board your method. What do the rest of you think?