• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Glenn Mcgrath or Malcolm Marshall?

Mcgrath vs Marshall

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

smash84

The Tiger King
He could, sums him up perfectly. Guy was a beast with the ball in his hand.
haha.....tbf Chappell had said this in comparison of McGrath and Lillee and I thought it fit here better :)

It wan't just any pair, a king pair to boot :-O
haha....yeah I forgot to add the word KING. Read somewhere (probably on this forum) only 3 openers in history have managed this? Not sure how true this is but I am sure this is something Tendulkar will find hard to match

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Marshall easily
Marshall >>>>> McGrath
Don't understand these comments at all. I personally believe that at his peak, for five or six years around 1983-89, Malcolm Marshall was the greatest fast bowler there has ever been. But if anyone gives him a hell of run for his money it's McGrath - and saying that either of these blokes is a whole lot better than the other one is ridiculous to me.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Marshall to me is better. But that being said, for me Mcgrath is No. 2. They are both tremendous bowlers, but if I were starting a team from scratch, give me Marshall first. Agression, speed, swing bounce, he had it all. But also imagine that with the accuratcy, persistence and seam of Mcgrath and you have start of your dream attack.

Slifer

International Captain
Dang, I really thought that we could avoid this comparison. Both IMO r easily in the top dozen or so who could be considered the greatest fast bowler of all time. MM is just so complete a bowler in every which way thats y I would give him the edge. He had out/in swing, nasty bouncers, off/leg cutters. I dont need to remind ne one of his record. Mcgrath probably bowled in a tougher era BUT I honestly believe if MM had played in the same era he would have been just as successful (see Dale Steyn) and even more so!!

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't understand these comments at all. I personally believe that at his peak, for five or six years around 1983-89, Malcolm Marshall was the greatest fast bowler there has ever been. But if anyone gives him a hell of run for his money it's McGrath - and saying that either of these blokes is a whole lot better than the other one is ridiculous to me.
On what I have seen I totally agree. McGrath is being made out to be like Andrew Caddick by some on here which is totally wrong. Both were superb but Marshall was just a bit better, no slight on McGrath though.

Vijay.Sharma

School Boy/Girl Captain
haha.....tbf Chappell had said this in comparison of McGrath and Lillee and I thought it fit here better :)
I actually remember this as a comparison Chappell drew between Lindwall and McGrath and the discussion was about an all time Aussie XI. IC said he would go with Lillee and Lindwall as his main bowlers and not McGrath coz Lindwall did everything that McGrath could just that he did it 10 kph quicker.

Of course he also said the same thing in the context of differentiating between Lillee and McGrath

Vijay.Sharma

School Boy/Girl Captain
Marshall to me is better. But that being said, for me Mcgrath is No. 2. They are both tremendous bowlers, but if I were starting a team from scratch, give me Marshall first. Agression, speed, swing bounce, he had it all. But also imagine that with the accuratcy, persistence and seam of Mcgrath and you have start of your dream attack.
I'd go with Marshall and Hadlee. In an all time test XI my fast bowlers would be Marshall, Hadlee and Wasim.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Best two fast bowlers in the last 40 years imo. Obviously there are other greats, but I think these two just edge it. Can't split them personally. I choose one and then the other depending on the day.

Cricketismylife

U19 12th Man
Complete nonsense to say Marshall could do everything Mcgrath could do, seeing as Mcgrath was about 6 inches taller and could extract that steep bounce from a good length. They were different types of bowlers but both all time greats in my book. Also I dont take everything Ian Chappell says seriously, he often tries to make obvious observations sound especially clever, or just says something inane.

Assuming we are referring to test matches, I think they are pretty much equal. Instinctively I would go for Marshall, but I think taking into account the fact that Mcgrath played quite a few more tests and hence took more wickets, this is equal. I cant choose one over the other. Both contenders for the greatest bowler ever...

Status
Not open for further replies.