• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Glenn maxwell takes indefinite break from cricket to deal with mental health issues

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
It's interesting (and fantastic) how quickly mental health issues have gone from being called 'weak' and the person being the subject of on and off the field sledging, to something people take seriously and have empathy for.
Spot on.

Hope he gets better, and soon.

cnerd123

likes this
National Sports Associations effectively owning their contracted athletes is a lot truer than most people realise

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ok, you win. You're incredibly smart. Other people (even those who perhaps work in the medical field) would have no idea about patient confidentiality. Well done.
TJB dispenses chemicals prescribed by other people. He’s incredibly smart.

Jack1

International Debutant
This is a shame much like Sarah Taylor. Both great players. Jonathan Trott too. Perhaps these guys are being too hard on themselves, but Maxwell in particular has been messing around quite a bit. Trott I remember being made to field fine leg to fine leg too in tests, but Maxwell slightly different situation.

It would have been nice for Australia to have given him more freedom and more security in the ODI and T20I sides long term and a full time batting position. He is talented enough to have warranted that security up the order , but never seemed to get it. His T20I stats are really good in particular with bat and ball. ODI is super strong too with the bat. Last test match he played he scored 38 and 25 not out, so dropping him from tests eternally after that was quite random in itself. I think that he probably feels like he's been messed about a lot over his career by the Australian board and selectors. Seems he's thrown in the towel, which is annoying as he makes Australia more watchable in world cups - exciting player to watch bat and even seeing him bowl is interesting. There has always been an edge to his game, but it felt more aggressive and competitive than anything else. So I am really surprised by this. Good luck GM.

Kirkut

International Regular
It'd be great if cricket was like any other job where you don't feel the pressure to owe an explanation to the world or feel the need to explain to everyone why you need time off with press releases and stuff. Where theres the pressure of a mob of frothing mongheads out to slaughter you if you don't explain every absence.

Besides the point, hope my bb Memeswell gets well. He deserves better than what cricket has offered him so far.
Cricket used to be pressure free before T20 era. We had players like Laxman, Inzamam and Sehwag with decent body fat percentage and were not only fit enough to play tests but also play 100 of them.
Right now players are in OCD mode with diet, gym training and what not. I remembered watching Pakistani bowlers when they toured India in 1999 having thick curries and white rice during lunch break and still bowling fast till the end of the day, unthinkable to do that today.