• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gillespie - Test cricket is on it's last legs

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Only complacency could kill Test Cricket which is why I think it helps when the likes of Gillespie do their harbinger of doom bit

Craig

World Traveller
But would it be fair to say, at some point, something has to give, like ODIs or T20 for example?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Who knows what we're in for? Twenty years down the line, we might see a fourth form of the game. Test cricket will stay well and alive.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
But would it be fair to say, at some point, something has to give, like ODIs or T20 for example?
A lot of people say that but i'm not so sure, i think it is more likely for it to turn in to more of a rotation policy, a series could contain 4 tests 3 ODI's and 3 20-20's and it would involve a number of players rather than just the same 11 players playing each time.

Also, i think ODI's would be cut down and you definitely wont see 7 game series' in ODI's but i dont see it being eliminated

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmm, not necessarily. In terms of international matches, boards are perfectly happy with ODIs because they fill up the grounds and they can set more profitable prices for all-day matches. There's no big push for ODIs to be replaced by T20Is really.

As for T20s, the IPL isn't going anywhere, nor is the world T20, so it's fair to say that it's not going anywhere either.

Tests won't go anywhere because they've coexisted with so many other sports for such a long time and they're so different to the others that they have a niche appeal. To put it another way, books didn't die out with the invention of movies.

That's my opinion, and i hope i'm not wrong.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Who knows what we're in for? Twenty years down the line, we might see a fourth form of the game. Test cricket will stay well and alive.
Twenty years down the line there is precious little certainty. There's countless amounts of stuff which is happening now or has happened recently that no-one in 1990 would have given the slightest thought to. And times are more uncertain now than ever.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
i've just lost respect for him, he admitted freely in australia that he didn't want to play t20 and didn't like t20, now he is playing icl then turns around and criticises the format and cricket australia, money talks, bull**** like this walks.

having said that, australia does have a tendancy to bend over to the popadums a bit, $$$$$$$, can't upset the cash cow, next thing they will be giving up the boxing day test match for a round robin mickey mouse tournament.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
i've just lost respect for him, he admitted freely in australia that he didn't want to play t20 and didn't like t20, now he is playing icl then turns around and criticises the format and cricket australia, money talks, bull**** like this walks.
The main reason why he didn't want to play KFC Big Bash was the pretect his body for FR Cup and First Class cricket.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've said it many times and there's no way to be 100% sure but I firmly believe that as long as Test cricket remains the highest level of the game (or, at least, the perception remains), it'll be okay. There will be players who only play Twenty20's and gear their games towards fairly healthy IPL careers (and there should be no-one stopping that) but their careers will always have an asterix next to their names as far as their place in the game's history.

Craig

World Traveller

having said that, australia does have a tendancy to bend over to the popadums a bit, $$$$$$$, can't upset the cash cow, next thing they will be giving up the boxing day test match for a round robin mickey mouse tournament.
:unsure:

G.I.Joe

International Coach

Its curry munchers. Get your petty insults right, ffs!

Matt79

Global Moderator
Back test cricket to still be around and considered the ultimate version of the game long after T20 has ceased to be the golden boy - the more people see of it, the less amazing it will seem. If anything, ODIs are what are immediately imperilled by the rush to T20 - they're much more direct competitors.

analyst

U19 12th Man
There is a reasonable argument that test cricket has declined since the 80's and I would agree considering no team has challenged the dominant team 'Australia' other than England and India in even winning one test let alone considering these teams respective series winning feats.

ODI's cricket has only grown stronger as time passes with the likes of Bangladesh becoming better teams, NZ's progress not suprising anyone anymore with only England on the wane.

So to completely dismiss Gillespie's statement would be harsh but to also agree with it and not consider that Cricket has faced worse times is also wrong. Test cricket does face an uncertain future as usual but it will survive IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've said it many times and there's no way to be 100% sure but I firmly believe that as long as Test cricket remains the highest level of the game (or, at least, the perception remains), it'll be okay.
No-one doubts that. The only worry is that this will not happen - that a large number of players will cease to care about being successful Test players and will prioritise Twenty20.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
No-one doubts that. The only worry is that this will not happen - that a large number of players will cease to care about being successful Test players and will prioritise Twenty20.
I don't really see that happening much, if a player is good enough to play test cricket and 20-20 cricket then he will always pick tests. Even in academy level people are taught how to be test batsman, people who slog really well arn't chosen for county or national sides at a young level. People who play proper strokes however are. Test cricket is still the pinacle of the game and i think 20-20's popularity will slowly but surely decrease. But test cricket has the longevity needed to remain the pinacle of the game for a while longer. The only places wher people may choose 20-20 over tests could be places where cricket is poorly funded, such as the west-indies, but with there being so many living test role models in the windies this is debatable too.