• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gillespie - Test cricket is on it's last legs

G.I.Joe

International Coach
McGrath: $300,000
Sharma: $900,000

Hopefully, after the initial idiocy, the player's value will be based on their talents and what they bring to the field.
I don't necessarily agree with the valuations, but you've got to keep in mind that McGrath was 37 and Sharma was 19. Building a long term team relationship with Sharma would probably have been more valuable than taking a punt on a guy who might not perform to the best levels in the third year of his contract. Look at the Mumbai Indians, they've signed on Pollock, and he's already looking at leaving them in the lurch after a year.

Precambrian

Banned
I don't necessarily agree with the valuations, but you've got to keep in mind that McGrath was 37 and Sharma was 19. Building a long term team relationship with Sharma would probably have been more valuable than taking a punt on a guy who might not perform to the best levels in the third year of his contract. Look at the Mumbai Indians, they've signed on Pollock, and he's already looking at leaving them in the lurch after a year.
TBF, Pollock signed a 1 year contract with MIs.

Precambrian

Banned
Didnt help that they had to award Tendulkar biggest pay package just because they bid for Jayasurya at a hefty price. The concept of Icon players sux, and should be removed from second year onwards. Franchises need not disclose how much they pay these erstwhile icon players to save their pride.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Didnt help that they had to award Tendulkar biggest pay package just because they bid for Jayasurya at a hefty price. The concept of Icon players sux, and should be removed from second year onwards. Franchises need not disclose how much they pay these erstwhile icon players to save their pride.
They needed to provide the icon players some incentive for staying at their home grounds, I guess. IMO Sehwag and Yuvraj, at the least, would ironically have made a lot more if they were on the free market like Dhoni was.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
McG was certainly better than Ish in the first IPL. However McG is getting older wbile Ish is only getting better.
Haha, it's an insult to cricket to compare the two, 37 or not.

Plus there is no comparison as to the marketability of both.
Ding ding! That's the point. It's not based on skill, it's based on marketability. I was responding to the fact that you need to be a great international player. That's not true - you just need to be marketable. Appear in a couple of Hindi movies, sing a bollywood song and you'll fetch more than if you improve your cricket. At least right now.

Precambrian

Banned
Haha, it's an insult to cricket to compare the two, 37 or not.

Ding ding! That's the point. It's not based on skill, it's based on marketability. I was responding to the fact that you need to be a great international player. That's not true - you just need to be marketable. Appear in a couple of Hindi movies, sing a bollywood song and you'll fetch more than if you improve your cricket. At least right now.
AWTA. And being in the news certainly helps. Andrew Symonds is an excellent case in point. It was moronish of DCs to price him so humoungoulsy and shows how short-term their views were.

Ridiculous underbidding was in case of Ricky Ponting. Though he didnt do anything of note in the last IPL, he still remains imho the best buy of the tourney, barring Warne.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
AWTA. And being in the news certainly helps. Andrew Symonds is an excellent case in point. It was moronish of DCs to price him so humoungoulsy and shows how short-term their views were.

Ridiculous underbidding was in case of Ricky Ponting. Though he didnt do anything of note in the last IPL, he still remains imho the best buy of the tourney, barring Warne.
Think someone like Shane Watson was a terrific buy, oh and Shaun Marsh.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think that's a bit of a red herring there. I have no issue with removing them as they don't deserve Test status based on their performances but frankly, aside from the fact that it goes into the record book as Tests, it's not a huge deal. They play two test series that people just ignore anyway, and don't pay attention to. With the amount of other cricket that's constantly being played, it's irrelevant except for statistical purposes (e.g, Bangladesh games go into the Test record).

I don't see how people in India, for example, who never watch Tests anyway, including India-Australia ones, will care one way or another whether Bangladesh play a Test or not. The Test-loving population might care, but most of us ignore those Tests anyway, unless it happens to be our side playing them, and even then, with so much other cricket around, it's pretty much a short interruption.

If you have international sport, there'll be mismatches. I don't know an international sport where you don't have mismatches. The only way to avoid mismatches, or one country outproducing another for whatever reason, is to have a controlled league based system: e.g, the IPL, where all teams are on an even footing. Test cricket will never be on an even footing considering the startling differences between the Test nations and their infrastructure, interest, and a bunch of other factors. Sometimes countries will be lucky and be on top, but the idea of seven-eight countries competing for any large length of time on any sort of an even footing is fantasy. Unless, of course, you introduced things like the IPL and standardized everything. But obviously, that can't happen with countries.
There's mismatches, then there's Bangla-style mismatches. Even though the overwhelming attitude to Tests in India may be indifference, I'd imagine the attitude to Ind-vs-NZ would be indifference and Ind-vs-Ban complete and total disinterest.

Not to mention the fact that they overcrowd the calendar still further than it is already.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Symonds is probably the best T20 player around though, so it's fair enough that he was second-highest. His bowling was very poor but he played some incredible innings, and there's no better fielder. The only problem was his availability. He played two or three games at the start then went to a pre-WI-tour training camp with Australia. Their major balls-up was not having a replacement.

Oh, and signing Afridi.

Precambrian

Banned
Symonds is probably the best T20 player around though, so it's fair enough that he was second-highest. His bowling was very poor but he played some incredible innings, and there's no better fielder. The only problem was his availability. He played two or three games at the start then went to a pre-WI-tour training camp with Australia. Their major balls-up was not having a replacement.

Oh, and signing Afridi.
Maybe Symonds is a good batsman. But his bowling was next to disaster in the IPL. I understand the logic of trying to get Symmo, but there is no doubt his price skyrocketed due to the Harby episode, increasing his "repute" and thereby "marketability".

As to Afridi, it was destined to be disaster from the word Go.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think that's a bit of a red herring there. I have no issue with removing them as they don't deserve Test status based on their performances but frankly, aside from the fact that it goes into the record book as Tests, it's not a huge deal. They play two test series that people just ignore anyway, and don't pay attention to. With the amount of other cricket that's constantly being played, it's irrelevant except for statistical purposes (e.g, Bangladesh games go into the Test record).

I don't see how people in India, for example, who never watch Tests anyway, including India-Australia ones, will care one way or another whether Bangladesh play a Test or not. The Test-loving population might care, but most of us ignore those Tests anyway, unless it happens to be our side playing them, and even then, with so much other cricket around, it's pretty much a short interruption.

If you have international sport, there'll be mismatches. I don't know an international sport where you don't have mismatches. The only way to avoid mismatches, or one country outproducing another for whatever reason, is to have a controlled league based system: e.g, the IPL, where all teams are on an even footing. Test cricket will never be on an even footing considering the startling differences between the Test nations and their infrastructure, interest, and a bunch of other factors. Sometimes countries will be lucky and be on top, but the idea of seven-eight countries competing for any large length of time on any sort of an even footing is fantasy. Unless, of course, you introduced things like the IPL and standardized everything. But obviously, that can't happen with countries.
That might well be true of sports like football and basketball, but shouldn't apply to test cricket. Having "test status" should mean a team is at least a worthy adversary for the other test nations. As there are only nine teams (currently) with it, "test status" is elitist almost by definition, which should mean that such gross mismatches are mimimalised.

Moreover, if teams are out of their depth why should the better teams be obliged to host them? Beating them proves little and, as you correctly observe, of little more than passing interest to even the keenest cricket fans. In an age when test cricket might be under threat, if not of extinction then possibly of its pre-eminence I don't think this is a satisfactory state of affairs.

Top_Cat

Too small to read.
He's saying Tom Moody knew Marsh was a gun. I'm on record here as saying the same when he played his first game for Aus A years ago. Took a while to come to fruition but, well, I'm still claiming it, all of you shut up.

Okay seriously, his ability has been well-known in Aus since he was around 17. Was always a matter of whether he could tame the beast because the raw talent was there in abundance.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That might well be true of sports like football and basketball, but shouldn't apply to test cricket. Having "test status" should mean a team is at least a worthy adversary for the other test nations. As there are only nine teams (currently) with it, "test status" is elitist almost by definition, which should mean that such gross mismatches are mimimalised.

Moreover, if teams are out of their depth why should the better teams be obliged to host them? Beating them proves little and, as you correctly observe, of little more than passing interest to even the keenest cricket fans. In an age when test cricket might be under threat, if not of extinction then possibly of its pre-eminence I don't think this is a satisfactory state of affairs.
But is it actually hurting Test cricket interest? I am not convinced. People already complain about too much cricket. Most people simply don't tune in, but there is plenty of other cricket to see.

If you are talking about extinction of Test cricket due to things like ODI and T20, then the type of fan you have to focus on is the one that follows IPL, and not Tests. You can't get away from talking about that 'casual' fan, when in this discussion. The problem is, that fan doesn't watch India-Australia, so it doesn't matter if Bangladesh are on or not. If Bangladesh stop playing all Tests, they still won't watch India-Australia.

IPL's TV rating was seven times higher than India-Australia Test series. It's those fans,that advertisers shell out money for, that will decide the future. And the Bangaldesh issue is irrelevant to them. Frankly, all Test cricket is irrelevant to them, and I'm not sure what would change that.

Top_Cat

But is it actually hurting Test cricket interest? I am not convinced. People already complain about too much cricket. Most people simply don't tune in, but there is plenty of other cricket to see.

If you are talking about extinction of Test cricket due to things like ODI and T20, then the type of fan you have to focus on is the one that follows IPL, and not Tests. You can't get away from talking about that 'casual' fan, when in this discussion. The problem is, that fan doesn't watch India-Australia, so it doesn't matter if Bangladesh are on or not. If Bangladesh stop playing all Tests, they still won't watch India-Australia.

IPL's TV rating was seven times higher than India-Australia Test series. It's those fans,that advertisers shell out money for, that will decide the future. And the Bangaldesh issue is irrelevant to them. Frankly, all Test cricket is irrelevant to them, and I'm not sure what would change that.
In fairness, though, hasn't Test cricket always been relatively poorly attended in India, aside from in 2001 perhaps?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member

But who makes up that fan is the problem. Is that fan a genuine fan of cricket who the IPL has enegized their interest in the sport (whether it was gone or needed a boost) or is it a non-cricket/casual fan who has suddenly found cricket to be an interesting/exciting sport & has you rightfully said has no real interest in Test cricket??

If its the latter, that a serious problem..