• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gibbs and Boje pull out of Indian tour

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
IJust wondering, how corrupt are Indian police? As bad as in SA?
They are corrupt, very corrupt, but I dont know how does it matter in this case.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that because they won't tour, that they must be feeling guilty and therefore must have taken money.. After all, I wouldn't be surprised if the Indian Police force was one of the many corrupt ones around the developing world who would nick them even if they had been cleared. . Maybe I'm wrong..
Gibbs was cleared ?? I though he was banned for six months or so, which was such a cover up. Did the king commision seek evidence from Delhi Police before clearing them ?

As for Delhi Police being corrupt, you are speaking exactly like those people who beat up Indian people in South Africa after Delhi Police accused Cronje and co. in 2000. Guess how they looked after Cronje accepted that he was the kingpin of matchfixing. :lol: I dont think anyone should doubt Delhi Police's credibility now.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Tempted to stick up for them because they are two of my favourite players.. But I won't, if they did take money they don't deserve to tour anywhere, let alone India..

If it's been proven they didn't take money, I guess its Sanz being Sanz again.
And you being you once again. Anyways yes I am being me, I wont stick up for Azza because he is my fav. player, he is a match fixer and he deserves the punishment he got.

Shounak

Banned
Sanz said:
I dont think anyone should doubt Delhi Police's credibility now.
Indian police are corrupt. I've seen it first hand in my numerous trips to India.

If I suspected that my players are in danger of being arrested by a corrupt foreign police force, I would never send them there.

If they were guilty, I'd much rather they were punished in house, rather then by the authorities of another country..

Deja moo

International Captain
shounak said:
Indian police are corrupt. I've seen it first hand in my numerous trips to India.

If I suspected that my players are in danger of being arrested by a corrupt foreign police force, I would never send them there.

If they were guilty, I'd much rather they were punished in house, rather then by the authorities of another country..

This is getting ridiculous. Yes our police are corrupt. But how is that relevant here ? Were the cops involved in this case Corrupt, Azza and Jadeja would still be playing for India, form willing. Were they corrupt, the entire thing would have been swept under the carpet.

And what is this in-house punishment stuff ? You break the law in Italy, you'll be punished according to italian law. You break the law in Australia, you'll have the Aussie courts decide your fate. Why should this be any different ? Do you think a commission set up on the basis of incomplete information and evidence would have done full and proper justice ? And did the commission delve into the bookmakers role itself ? The Delhi police can see that the bookies are brought to book, but obviously neither the UCBSA nor the ICC want to have anything to do with it.

Deja moo

International Captain
tooextracool said:
i've never seen 2 more guilty people than gibbs and boje to be honest. its quite obvious that they were both involved(and id be extremely surprised if there werent more people from the 2000 side that were involved). at the end of the day though, its too long ago for the delhi police to still be bothered about this and they should just let it go.
Why should they ? There are bookmakers out there who can still entrap another player. If the questioning of Gibbs and Boje helps them to nail these guys, surely it is a good thing for the game. If anything, the Anti-corruption cell of the ICC should have seen to it that Gibbs and Boje were forced to report for questioning by the police ( not necessarily in India ). Isnt that the logical and sensible thing to do ? But being the lackeys they are, their inaction isnt surprising.

Shounak

Banned
Deja moo said:
And what is this in-house punishment stuff ? You break the law in Italy, you'll be punished according to italian law. You break the law in Australia, you'll have the Aussie courts decide your fate. Why should this be any different ?
If by the time the Australian or Italian courts have decided to charge you, you have skipped the country, they won't be deciding your fate. Unless of course they can get an extradition order, which in this case is simply ridiculous.

Do you think a commission set up on the basis of incomplete information and evidence would have done full and proper justice ? And did the commission delve into the bookmakers role itself ? The Delhi police can see that the bookies are brought to book, but obviously neither the UCBSA nor the ICC want to have anything to do with it.
Full and proper justice may not be served in this situation. But as a cricket board, I would not subject my players to a corrupt police force, in a situation like this. Police in India can do nearly anything.

Are you suggesting that UCBSA be forced to send Gibbs and Boje to India to resolve the issue? With no assurances of any kind from the police.

Shounak

Banned
Deja moo said:
If anything, the Anti-corruption cell of the ICC should have seen to it that Gibbs and Boje were forced to report for questioning by the police ( not necessarily in India ). Isnt that the logical and sensible thing to do ? But being the lackeys they are, their inaction isnt surprising.
Yeah I agree with that. I just don't agree with sending players away to a place where their fate is unknown. Anything can happen. The UCBSA and the ICC would lose all control over the situation if matters were dealt with by Indian police. If the UCBSA got some assurances from the Indian police, then the whole situation would change..

Deja moo

International Captain
shounak said:
If by the time the Australian or Italian courts have decided to charge you, you have skipped the country, they won't be deciding your fate. Unless of course they can get an extradition order, which in this case is simply ridiculous.
Who wants an extradition order? The fact that the Delhi police havent tried for one thus far indicates that they know its futile.

Full and proper justice may not be served in this situation. But as a cricket board, I would not subject my players to a corrupt police force, in a situation like this. Police in India can do nearly anything.
And the police arent forcing them to subject their players to their "corruption" (which as I have said already, is irrelevant here). All they're saying is that if and when a couple of criminals/informants set foot here, they wont shy away from doing their job.

Are you suggesting that UCBSA be forced to send Gibbs and Boje to India to resolve the issue? With no assurances of any kind from the police.
What assurance ? It would be laughable for an alleged criminal to suggest that he'd be willing to co-operate as long as no action is taken against him.

Deja moo

International Captain
shounak said:
Yeah I agree with that. I just don't agree with sending players away to a place where their fate is unknown. Anything can happen. The UCBSA and the ICC would lose all control over the situation if matters were dealt with by Indian police. If the UCBSA got some assurances from the Indian police, then the whole situation would change..
All the ICC had to do was to show some spine and force Gibbs and party to let themselves be interrogated by the people who actually know something about the case, ie the Delhi police. Be it in India or outside. And regarding assurances, thats ridiculous. Okay, the ICC is spineless/biased and has swept the issue under the carpet, and Gibbs and Boje and more importantly, the bookmakers, have been let off. Fine. But atleast spare us this pathetic display of begging for "assurances" everytime your team has to tour here. Either come here or stay at home and STFU. That is all.

tooextracool

International Coach
Deja moo said:
Why should they ? There are bookmakers out there who can still entrap another player. If the questioning of Gibbs and Boje helps them to nail these guys, surely it is a good thing for the game. If anything, the Anti-corruption cell of the ICC should have seen to it that Gibbs and Boje were forced to report for questioning by the police ( not necessarily in India ). Isnt that the logical and sensible thing to do ? But being the lackeys they are, their inaction isnt surprising.
and of course the 2 of them are going to make themselves available to tour india ever again if they are going to be interrogated arent they? at the end of the day, the delhi police arent gaining anything and the SA team has to play without 2 players.
yes perhaps they should be forced to report to the indian police but that hasnt happened and its probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
shounak said:
And I said that before you in post no. 41. I lived in India for 25 years and still visit the country almost every year. So dont tell me about corruption in Indian Police. Beside which police force isn't corrupt ? I dont know what are you trying to prove here.

First of all you should learn to read before posting, Indian police has already said in the past that they are not going to arrest Boje, secondly however corrupt they are, they did prove that Cronje was involved in match fixing.

Well then dont expect that country to bend its law for you. Its like you go to India and commit fraud,the corrupt Indian police finds that out but before they could lay their hands on you, you leave India. Now you want to go to India again, but you want assurance from Indian police that they wont arrest you. :laugh:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
shounak said:
But as a cricket board, I would not subject my players to a corrupt police force, in a situation like this. Police in India can do nearly anything.
Police in any country can do anything that is if you break the law. If you didn't break the law then police in India wont do anything to you.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
and of course the 2 of them are going to make themselves available to tour india ever again if they are going to be interrogated arent they? at the end of the day, the delhi police arent gaining anything and the SA team has to play without 2 players.
yes perhaps they should be forced to report to the indian police but that hasnt happened and its probably not going to happen anytime soon.
Oh first you break the law of the land, then you flee the country and then refuse to co-operate with. Now you expect India to make special arrangements for these two because they can play in India.

Deja moo

International Captain
tooextracool said:
er...the Delhi Police gain knowledge regarding the identity of the Bookmakers. Just doing their job, you know. As for the SA team, they reap what they sow.

tooextracool

International Coach
Sanz said:
Oh first you break the law of the land, then you flee the country and then refuse to co-operate with. Now you expect India to make special arrangements for these two because they can play in India.
yep and as i said earlier its obvious that they are guilty. but there is no point continuing with the investigation of the 2 because they arent going to tour india until they arent investigated.

tooextracool

International Coach
Deja moo said:
er...the Delhi Police gain knowledge regarding the identity of the Bookmakers. Just doing their job, you know. As for the SA team, they reap what they sow.
gibbs and boje arent going to tour india for their careers, therefore the delhi police wont gain anything.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
yep and as i said earlier its obvious that they are guilty. but there is no point continuing with the investigation of the 2 because they arent going to tour india until they arent investigated.
Then they better forget about playing in India, because as it seems Delhi Police isn't going to stop the investigation. Oh its not investigation but just an interrogation because Indian police has alreasy stated that they are not going to arrest these two. :)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
gibbs and boje arent going to tour india for their careers, therefore the delhi police wont gain anything.
And Boje/Gibbs/SA aren't going to gain anything either.